Author Topic: V for Vendetta  (Read 508 times)

Offline El

• Unofficial Weird News Reporter of the Aspie Elite
  • News Box Slave
  • Almighty Postwhore
V for Vendetta
« on: February 11, 2007, 02:12:10 PM »
Has anyone else watched it?  If so, what did you think of it?
it is well known that PMS Elle is evil.
I think you'd fit in a 12" or at least a 16" firework mortar
You win this thread because that's most unsettling to even think about.

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
Re: V for Vendetta
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2007, 03:01:25 PM »
I liked it. I also forgot most of it soon after the end titles, but still... :laugh:
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline El

• Unofficial Weird News Reporter of the Aspie Elite
  • News Box Slave
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2007, 03:51:16 PM »
Anyone else?

I'm trying to figure out why people liked it and it got good reviews.  It was entertaining, but I couldn't "buy" it.  Scifi/fantasy has to have a grasp of how human psychology would apply to fantastical situations, and I don't think this movie really did.  Mayeb I'd have to better understand politics to like it?
it is well known that PMS Elle is evil.
I think you'd fit in a 12" or at least a 16" firework mortar
You win this thread because that's most unsettling to even think about.

Offline Tom/Mutate

• bass martian
  • Elder
  • Postwhore
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2007, 04:12:08 PM »
I'm planning to watch it, basically because I've been meaning to read the book for years (I am a big Moore fan), and i figured seeing the movie would save me the trouble of reading it.  If its not as good as the book though, the joke will be on me.

Offline Nomaken

• The Anti-Fuck
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2007, 03:52:53 AM »
I loved it, I bought it.  Although I think they could have picked a better phrase than "ideas are bulletproof".  Only real critisism I have for the movie.
And as always, these are simply my worthless opinions.
Reverence is fine, Sanctity is silly.
We're all fucked, it helps to remember that.

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2007, 10:19:29 AM »
It was good entertainment. I didn't feel the need to fast-forward, and only had to pause it to get more beer.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline Sanityisoverrated

• Frequent Poster
  • Sleepy type guy
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2007, 11:07:01 AM »
Apparently Alan Moore got really angry because it's such a watered down "presentable" version of the book, and changed more to reflect Bush era USA instead of Thatcher era UK. The book it is a lot more controversial- it is unclear whether V is the hero or villain, and he actively espouses anarchy, not simply removing the current government. The anarchist themes were pretty much non-existant in the movie.

I'll be interested to see how the 'Watchmen' film will fare if they ever get around to making it.
'When the world is run according to my standards, everyone will be a happier person and the general standard of health will exceed the average' - Charlie Chaplin

The_P

« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2007, 11:34:54 AM »
Nope. Probably crap, though.

Offline Tom/Mutate

• bass martian
  • Elder
  • Postwhore
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2007, 09:14:14 AM »
Apparently Alan Moore got really angry because it's such a watered down "presentable" version of the book, and changed more to reflect Bush era USA instead of Thatcher era UK. The book it is a lot more controversial- it is unclear whether V is the hero or villain, and he actively espouses anarchy, not simply removing the current government. The anarchist themes were pretty much non-existant in the movie.

I'll be interested to see how the 'Watchmen' film will fare if they ever get around to making it.

This is one thing thta put me off seeing it.  I love Watchmen - theyd better do it right.  People who watch these films really need to try the comics and see how great they are.

Offline Nomaken

• The Anti-Fuck
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2007, 08:06:24 PM »
I don't give much of a fuck how they changed the story.  I don't think that movies have a responsibility to be exactly like the story.  It just means that the book is not the movie, and actually should remain that way even if they don't change anything because a book experience is very different from a movie experience.  Like I robot is not at all the same story as in the book.  I don't like I robot the movie, but I am not pointing a finger at the movie and screaming, "You are not I robot!  You lie!  Liar!"

But I like that V is neither the villian nor the hero in the movie, and that he isn't just interested in anarchy.  I can't think of any anarchist I respect.  The movie's message as far as I can see is that life is not so simple that it can be divided into good and evil.  And it invites the watcher to scrutenize their ethics, and the ethics of their leaders.
And as always, these are simply my worthless opinions.
Reverence is fine, Sanctity is silly.
We're all fucked, it helps to remember that.

Offline Dexter Morgan

• Karma Policeman of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2007, 12:57:12 AM »

Yeah,  the movie seemed to piggyback the current issues we have today.  At least in Children of Men you see how antagonism can be counterproductive.

Offline Yuri Bezmenov

• Drunk-assed squadron leader
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Communist propaganda is demoralizing the West.
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2014, 07:57:42 PM »
I'm trying to figure out why people liked it and it got good reviews.  It was entertaining, but I couldn't "buy" it.  Scifi/fantasy has to have a grasp of how human psychology would apply to fantastical situations, and I don't think this movie really did.  Mayeb I'd have to better understand politics to like it?

I wouldn't call this true SciFi just like Star Wars wasn't true scifi. It simply had a setting in the near future.

That being said I really liked this movie for its political message.   8)

Offline benjimanbreeg

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
  • I do not have the right not to do so
« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2014, 12:15:39 PM »

I wouldn't call this true SciFi just like Star Wars wasn't true scifi. It simply had a setting in the near future.

That being said I really liked this movie for its political message.   8)

Another Holocaust movie, who'd have guessed  ::)
"No one believes more firmly than Comrade Napoleon that all animals are equal. He would be only too happy to let you make your decisions for yourselves. But sometimes you might make the wrong decisions, comrades, and then where should we be?"

"When men lead by words that are false as they preach
Fatality waits in the wings
Surrounded by fools behind walls that are breached
Beware of the jester that sings"

Leeeeeaaaave Benji alooooooone!  :bigcry:

Offline Yuri Bezmenov

• Drunk-assed squadron leader
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Communist propaganda is demoralizing the West.
« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2014, 01:59:20 PM »
Another Holocaust movie, who'd have guessed  ::)

:facepalm2:       :facepalm2:       ::)

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2014, 02:08:19 AM »
Can't say I even remember watching the movie now. I remember commenting on it, but that's about it.

- Albert Einstein