Educational

Author Topic: The Wall  (Read 6282 times)

Offline Minister Of Silly Walks

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
Re: The Wall
« Reply #105 on: January 18, 2019, 11:37:50 PM »

He wasn't talking about a fence.

http://www.newworldencyclopedia.org/entry/Iron_curtain

The term "Iron Curtain" was used to describe the isolation of Eastern countries from Western Europe. It also applied only to the fortified borders in central Europe; it was never used for similar borders in Asia between communist and capitalist states. The border between North Korea and South Korea is very comparable to the former inner German border, particularly in its degree of militarization, but it has never conventionally been considered part of the Iron Curtain.
“When men oppress their fellow men, the oppressor ever finds, in the character of the oppressed, a full justification for his oppression.” Frederick Douglass

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #106 on: January 18, 2019, 11:39:43 PM »
Quote from: Britannica
Iron Curtain, the political, military, and ideological barrier erected by the Soviet Union after World War II to seal off itself and its dependent eastern and central European allies from open contact with the West and other noncommunist areas. The term Iron Curtain had been in occasional and varied use as a metaphor since the 19th century, but it came to prominence only after it was used by the former British prime minister Winston Churchill in a speech at Fulton, Missouri, U.S., on March 5, 1946, when he said of the communist states, “From Stettin in the Baltic to Trieste in the Adriatic, an iron curtain has descended across the Continent.”

The restrictions and the rigidity of the Iron Curtain were somewhat reduced in the years following Joseph Stalin’s death in 1953, although the construction of the Berlin Wall in 1961 restored them. During the Cold War the Iron Curtain extended to the airwaves. The attempts by the Central Intelligence Agency-funded Radio Free Europe (RFE) to provide listeners behind the Curtain with uncensored news were met with efforts by communist governments to jam RFE’s signal. The Iron Curtain largely ceased to exist in 1989–90 with the communists’ abandonment of one-party rule in eastern Europe.

https://www.britannica.com/event/Iron-Curtain
“When men oppress their fellow men, the oppressor ever finds, in the character of the oppressed, a full justification for his oppression.” Frederick Douglass

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #107 on: January 18, 2019, 11:46:11 PM »
Britannica pretty much sums up what I think of as "The Iron Curtain". Other takes on the term do exist, but my head is wedged firmly up my arse on this one and I'm sticking with the "Iron Curtain as a metaphor" idea.

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #108 on: January 19, 2019, 12:26:15 AM »
https://thecoldwarexperience.weebly.com/the-iron-curtain.html

The Iron Curtain is the name for the "barrier" that separated the communist and non-communist territories. This "barrier" was not a physical wall or barrier but, just a means of separation and isolation. It was "set" by the Soviet Union after World War II to separate itself and its dependent Eastern and Central European allies from any contact in the west and any other non-communist areas. The "barrier" was recognized as the Iron Curtain by Winston Churchill in a speech at Fulton, Missouri on March 5th 1946.

I guess (like my son) they never went to the Iron Curtain either.

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #109 on: January 19, 2019, 02:57:54 AM »
This is still going on?
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #110 on: January 19, 2019, 03:21:16 AM »

^ Me

Offline Al Swearegen

• Pussycat of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Always front on and in your face
« Reply #111 on: January 19, 2019, 07:40:10 AM »
I2 today is not i2 of yesteryear. It is a knitting circle. Those that participate be they nice or asshats know their place and the price to be there. Odeon is the overlord

.Benevolent if you toe the line.

Think it is I2 of old? Even Odeon is not so delusional as to think otherwise. He may on occasionally pretend otherwise but his base is that knitting circle.

Censoring/banning/restricting/moderating myself, Calanadale & Scrapheap were all not his finest moments.

How to apologise to Scrap

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #112 on: January 19, 2019, 11:25:25 AM »
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #113 on: January 20, 2019, 03:08:30 AM »
Watched Trump's speech last night. His speech writers tried their best to make him sound presidential but it sounded to me like Mr Art of the Deal was backed into a corner, faking it.

- Albert Einstein

Offline Al Swearegen

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #114 on: January 20, 2019, 03:27:12 AM »
Watched Trump's speech last night. His speech writers tried their best to make him sound presidential but it sounded to me like Mr Art of the Deal was backed into a corner, faking it.

It sure does to people that are hyperpartisan.
I2 today is not i2 of yesteryear. It is a knitting circle. Those that participate be they nice or asshats know their place and the price to be there. Odeon is the overlord

Think it is I2 of old? Even Odeon is not so delusional as to think otherwise. He may on occasionally pretend otherwise but his base is that knitting circle.

Censoring/banning/restricting/moderating myself, Calanadale & Scrapheap were all not his finest moments.

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #115 on: January 20, 2019, 08:08:10 AM »
I'm sure you bought all of it, Al. It's kind of sweet.

- Albert Einstein

Offline Icequeen

• News Box Slave
  • Insane Postwhore
  • I peopled today.
« Reply #116 on: January 20, 2019, 04:25:33 PM »
I wonder how much Adderall he had to snort before this speech?

Offline Al Swearegen

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #117 on: January 20, 2019, 10:41:47 PM »

Bought what exactly?

Trump believes that illegal immigrants pose a real threat and he wants a border. This is nothing overly contentious. Pretending there is more to it than that is fucking stupid.

He campaign on that because he thinks it is important.

You may not agree with his stance. You may think that there is no that or that borders dont prevent illegal immigrants moving across unimpeded.

But there is nothing contentious to "buy".

It would be fucking idiotic to suggest otherwise

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #118 on: January 20, 2019, 10:51:30 PM »
Trump's Wall is nothing more than a big fat dogwhistle. Like Australia's offshore detention.

Trump is trying to appeal to his base of stupid voters by making a big gesture showing how he is protecting them from the scary foreigners.

The GOP's real support base, of course, is billionaires and big corporations. And they LOVE immigration. What Trump (like Dutton, Abbott and co in Australia) is doing is serving the billionaires and big corporations as he must, while making the precariat believe that he is taking care of their interests.

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #119 on: January 21, 2019, 12:24:58 AM »

Bought what exactly?

Trump believes that illegal immigrants pose a real threat and he wants a border. This is nothing overly contentious. Pretending there is more to it than that is fucking stupid.

He campaign on that because he thinks it is important.

You may not agree with his stance. You may think that there is no that or that borders dont prevent illegal immigrants moving across unimpeded.

But there is nothing contentious to "buy".

It would be fucking idiotic to suggest otherwise

It's OK, Al. You're allowed to have an opinion, however moronic that opinion is.

- Albert Einstein