Author Topic: I am supposing..  (Read 944 times)

Offline Nomaken

• The Anti-Fuck
  • Obsessive Postwhore
Re: I am supposing..
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2007, 01:36:19 AM »
Like, even though I am getting kind of annoyed by the attitude that if intensity is supposed to be a place where you can be yourself it is the memberships responsibility to support each other in making them feeling like they can do that, her preaching that attitude and standing behind it is exactly what you are supposed to do here.

Robert had kind of the same argument, and he never seemed to get the idea that he was supposed to be sitting in here arguing that point.  Just because we all disagreed with him on it, he thought that he wasn't welcome here.  I personally LOVED arguing with him about ideology.  Arguing about ideology is practically a sport. 
And as always, these are simply my worthless opinions.
Reverence is fine, Sanctity is silly.
We're all fucked, it helps to remember that.

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2007, 02:38:11 AM »
The members here have no real responsibilities. It's all voluntary.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Graelwyn

« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2007, 02:48:00 AM »
That the only way to 'fit in' on this forum is to have super high self esteem, little emotional expression and to not give a flying fuck what anyone else thinks of you... but then again, from what I have seen, you also have to be willing to be molded into something that everyone does see as acceptable among their little group... thus, until you toe the line, you are seen as annoying or whatever other little label can best be thrown out to describe you. And God help you if your self esteem is shaky, as it sure wont be improved by this place. I have to ask...just what is this site for? What is it's aim as it certainly cannot be seen as any sort of a place where people can truly be themselves... unless themselves happens to fit this pre defined model. Myself happens to be someone with extremely low self esteem, a steady fear of rejection and a lot of anger... so I suppose I do not fit the pre defined model. I do not fit in. I have to go...or repress and suppress those parts of me that are deemed unacceptable. Which is even funnier as many aspies spend their whole lives molding themselves to what society deems acceptable...and then you have a forum like this where you must once again mold yourself to another set of accepted behaviours and ways of being. Thus, to fit in here, I must withold any emotional expression that might be perceived as 'emo', I must develop an immensely thick skin to cope with the barrage of hurtful comments (Oh my god, I said the word hurtful... I must be emo, because I get hurt!) yet at the same time as developing this thick skin, I must remain aware that other people have feelings... I find this quite paradoxical, because to do all this, I have to become a hard faced bitch who doesnt care about others, or about what they say and to do this, I must detach. Been there, done that. So I have a choice, the way I see it. I can either just leave and remain as I am and accept that Intensity is simply not open to a diversity of personalities and ways of expressing... or I can stay and mold myself into what others here might see as acceptable and as someone who 'fits in'.

Oh, stop it.

I've heard people complain about being on an emotional rollercoaster, before, but that's the way life is. It's loaded with ups and downs. If you're lucky enough to be on a rollercoaster, at least you have tracks to ride on, you are at least grounded to something. Some people have no stablizing foundation, like a balloon in a hot air current, no connection to anything, completely untethered, floating. To me that's kind of a definition of emo, too. A downy feather in an emotional wind or maybe a fart ... no substance at all.

I see more than that from you in many of your posts and especially your poetry and photography ..... but I'll be damned if I can figure out your base, foundation, or anchor.

What kind of things would be a base, foundation or anchor? What is your base? Not sure I have ever had one really. For a time, my anchor was my strong sense of there being a lot more to the universe than what we see(ie-spirituality, but not the religious kind), but I wandered off that path so I dont know anymore really.

purposefulinsanity

« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2007, 04:11:09 AM »
She's expecting a little more support than we are accustomed to giving.  Not that we need to be extra nice to her, just that when we tell her we don't agree with her, she hasn't failed to fit in, and her standing behind what she said despite what we think is doing exactly what she is supposed to be doing here.

+1    That's it- on here people disagree, argue about it for a bit and then move on.  Backing up your actions/words, like Graelwyn has done, it exactly what we all do here and is what earns people respect. 

I think the fact we can discuss our disagreements on here shows that we're not all aspie clones, which is the impression you get from a lot of other AS sites.

Offline Tom/Mutate

• bass martian
  • Elder
  • Postwhore
« Reply #19 on: January 23, 2007, 11:36:53 AM »
losing her rag and blowing up means that she finally does fit in fully.  She is one of us now.  It is the rite of passgae.

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
« Reply #20 on: January 23, 2007, 12:08:30 PM »
losing her rag and blowing up means that she finally does fit in fully.  She is one of us now.  It is the rite of passgae.

Has anyone +ed you lately, besides me? Graelwyn fit in here on her first night, I think. She may not have been one of us, that first night, but most were already like her, in some ways.
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

purposefulinsanity

« Reply #21 on: January 23, 2007, 12:11:07 PM »
I yayed him yesterday or the day before(oh and just now)- he doesn't post all that often which probably explains the lowish karma.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2007, 12:13:11 PM by purposefulinsanity »

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #22 on: January 23, 2007, 12:36:01 PM »
That the only way to 'fit in' on this forum is to have super high self esteem, little emotional expression and to not give a flying fuck what anyone else thinks of you... but then again, from what I have seen, you also have to be willing to be molded into something that everyone does see as acceptable among their little group... thus, until you toe the line, you are seen as annoying or whatever other little label can best be thrown out to describe you. And God help you if your self esteem is shaky, as it sure wont be improved by this place. I have to ask...just what is this site for? What is it's aim as it certainly cannot be seen as any sort of a place where people can truly be themselves... unless themselves happens to fit this pre defined model. Myself happens to be someone with extremely low self esteem, a steady fear of rejection and a lot of anger... so I suppose I do not fit the pre defined model. I do not fit in. I have to go...or repress and suppress those parts of me that are deemed unacceptable. Which is even funnier as many aspies spend their whole lives molding themselves to what society deems acceptable...and then you have a forum like this where you must once again mold yourself to another set of accepted behaviours and ways of being. Thus, to fit in here, I must withold any emotional expression that might be perceived as 'emo', I must develop an immensely thick skin to cope with the barrage of hurtful comments (Oh my god, I said the word hurtful... I must be emo, because I get hurt!) yet at the same time as developing this thick skin, I must remain aware that other people have feelings... I find this quite paradoxical, because to do all this, I have to become a hard faced bitch who doesnt care about others, or about what they say and to do this, I must detach. Been there, done that. So I have a choice, the way I see it. I can either just leave and remain as I am and accept that Intensity is simply not open to a diversity of personalities and ways of expressing... or I can stay and mold myself into what others here might see as acceptable and as someone who 'fits in'.

Oh, stop it.

I've heard people complain about being on an emotional rollercoaster, before, but that's the way life is. It's loaded with ups and downs. If you're lucky enough to be on a rollercoaster, at least you have tracks to ride on, you are at least grounded to something. Some people have no stablizing foundation, like a balloon in a hot air current, no connection to anything, completely untethered, floating. To me that's kind of a definition of emo, too. A downy feather in an emotional wind or maybe a fart ... no substance at all.

I see more than that from you in many of your posts and especially your poetry and photography ..... but I'll be damned if I can figure out your base, foundation, or anchor.

What kind of things would be a base, foundation or anchor? What is your base? Not sure I have ever had one really. For a time, my anchor was my strong sense of there being a lot more to the universe than what we see(ie-spirituality, but not the religious kind), but I wandered off that path so I dont know anymore really.

A base could be anything that defines your life. It hasn't always been easy for me to determine, but now I have an intimate relationship with another person, my wife, and we have become a union. Out of that union, we have two kids, a dog, a garden, a mortgage, car payments, laundry, movie nights, sit down dinners, carpet to vacuum, kid books and toys everywhere, but most of those would be anchors to some people, (bad anchors) rather than a foundation. Maybe I'm the wrong person to ask, because the question is too easy for me, but that's my base, right now.

I thank the heavens that it's been a long time since I defined my life by my pain and fear. I sense that many of us still do, though. That's what I mean by "I can't figure" you out. What you seem to talk most about is your pain. I want to know more about your laughter and your warm feelings, if they are not too private.

« Last Edit: January 23, 2007, 12:42:57 PM by DirtDawg »
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #23 on: January 23, 2007, 12:38:56 PM »
I yayed him yesterday or the day before(oh and just now)- he doesn't post all that often which probably explains the lowish karma.
La Mala is cool!
I wish everyone would post more.

Offline Tom/Mutate

• bass martian
  • Elder
  • Postwhore
« Reply #24 on: January 23, 2007, 01:05:07 PM »
Thank you very much!  i was frequent poster before November, which was when I got a part time office job.  I would post at work, but I havent tried to see if websense allows it yet, and some pictures posted are not safe.   

purposefulinsanity

« Reply #25 on: January 23, 2007, 01:43:44 PM »
La Mala is cool!
I wish everyone would post more.

:agreed:

Graelwyn

« Reply #26 on: January 23, 2007, 02:33:20 PM »

Oh, stop it.

A base could be anything that defines your life. It hasn't always been easy for me to determine, but now I have an intimate relationship with another person, my wife, and we have become a union. Out of that union, we have two kids, a dog, a garden, a mortgage, car payments, laundry, movie nights, sit down dinners, carpet to vacuum, kid books and toys everywhere, but most of those would be anchors to some people, (bad anchors) rather than a foundation. Maybe I'm the wrong person to ask, because the question is too easy for me, but that's my base, right now.

I thank the heavens that it's been a long time since I defined my life by my pain and fear. I sense that many of us still do, though. That's what I mean by "I can't figure" you out. What you seem to talk most about is your pain. I want to know more about your laughter and your warm feelings, if they are not too private.

Oh, I have given laughs around the place, I shared my photography, and I have to say, I am a lot, lot better than I was. I have spent many years where people would immediately tell me my eyes looked haunted. I am told they do not anymore. I suppose I will always to some degree talk about my pain and my isssues as they are very much there... I have had an extremely stressful period recently where I could have ended up evicted from where I live...I am sure some here know how hard it is having to deal with those everyday essential things... with me, I put them off and off and off and do all I can to avoid having to face them until I am forced to. So I am only just really settling back down now it is mostly sorted. And although I know I would hate living with anyone, I do get very isolated. If you can imagine sometimes going days without talking to anyone in your real life... but I wont go into details here. I might post my life story sometime, but in a more appropriate section. I am always interested in how peoples lives have gone so far, and what has contributed to who they are today.

But, well, I am who I am, I guess. I don't think I have any base. I live one day to the next, and it is a very isolated existence. Apart from 2 aquaintances I am a recluse. I would say I am neither miserable nor happy most of the time. Just living lol.

Offline Tom/Mutate

• bass martian
  • Elder
  • Postwhore
« Reply #27 on: January 23, 2007, 03:33:09 PM »
I think this site is the best AS one.   Considering our supposed immature "bad lads" image and the desperate aspie male stereo-type, you would expect an attractive aspie female posting artistic nudes of herself a recipie for disaster.  Yet I think most people on there enjoy Graelwyns pics (not just the nudes) for their artistic and aesthetic quality, as they deserve to be.

Graelwyn

« Reply #28 on: January 23, 2007, 03:39:57 PM »
Oh God, you just reminded me, I have 122 shots to work my way through as I went out today specifically to make use of the good light. Bet I got a load of crap though, the bloody ducks swam away whenever I got anywhere near, and even the crows didn't hang around. Note to self, take bread next time.

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #29 on: January 23, 2007, 05:45:21 PM »
Like, even though I am getting kind of annoyed by the attitude that if intensity is supposed to be a place where you can be yourself it is the memberships responsibility to support each other in making them feeling like they can do that, her preaching that attitude and standing behind it is exactly what you are supposed to do here.

Robert had kind of the same argument, and he never seemed to get the idea that he was supposed to be sitting in here arguing that point.  Just because we all disagreed with him on it, he thought that he wasn't welcome here.  I personally LOVED arguing with him about ideology.  Arguing about ideology is practically a sport. 

I usually don't understand what the fuck you are talking about, but this makes perfect sense! I would + you, but since you hate that, I'm giving it to Graelwyn.