Author Topic: Tell me about your grandmother  (Read 526 times)

Offline Genesis

• The impostor who isn't from Old Country formerly known as Soviet Union
  • News Box Slave
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • The Blogger Was Here
    • Night Owl Redux
Tell me about your grandmother
« on: August 14, 2016, 08:04:35 PM »
Was she as looney as mine is? Or did she pass off as normal?  :LOL:

Offline Gopher Gary

• sockpuppet alert!
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • I'm not wearing pants.
Re: Tell me about your grandmother
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2016, 09:16:46 PM »
My grandmother had twelve kids, so like a million grandchildren. She would give us spoons and tell us to go outside and dig in the dirt.  :zoinks:
:gopher:

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2016, 12:25:44 AM »
My grandmother was an aspie. When she died, she was probably the oldest aspie in the world.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline renaeden

• Complicated Case of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2016, 03:47:50 AM »
Wow. How could you tell she was an aspie?

Well, now you know where yours came from. ;)

My dad's mum died when I was a baby. I certainly remember my mum's mum though. She used to cook awesome roasts and give the best calming hugs. One time she she shocked everyone by disagreeing with something, saying, "Pig's arse!" Pretty funny.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2016, 03:51:50 AM by renaeden »
Mildly Cute in a Retarded Way
Tek'ma'tae

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Invincible Heisenweeble of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore Beyond Teh Stupid
  • You're goddamn right.
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2016, 06:29:05 AM »
  I never met any of my grandparents, I wish I had known them.  :prude: :oldman:
"I'm finding a lot of things funny lately, but I don't think they are."
--- Ripley, Alien Resurrection

"We are grateful for the time we have been given."
--- Edward Walker, The Village

People forget.
--- The Who, "Eminence Front"

Offline Icequeen

• News Box Slave
  • Insane Postwhore
  • I peopled today.
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2016, 08:40:19 AM »
My dad's mother had fiery red hair and everyone loved her, she taught herself how to drive after her husband passed away when my dad was 17 and drove without a license for almost 15 years until someone hit her pulling out of the grocery store and they made her get a license.

She had a farmhouse full of junk and cool stuff she found in secondhand shops, she loved to do crafts, and had a child-like curiosity about everything, she was a lot of fun. She was also partially color blind and painted the ceiling in the kitchen bright red one time thinking it was pink.

My mom's mother made awesome chicken noodle soup, drank beer and could swear in Hungarian. She loved flowers and had an enormous flower garden for many years until they moved to an apartment. She never drove and rarely left the house, couldn't smell very well and used a lot of perfume and put mothballs everywhere.

Unfortunately she was also a bit of a nag, and I never felt like I "made the grade" with her. My grandfather made up the difference though. My mom and her were never very close and it showed. She had a tough life though, and given the circumstances I don't know if I could have done as well as she did.

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2016, 03:54:38 PM »
Wow. How could you tell she was an aspie?

Well, now you know where yours came from. ;)

My dad's mum died when I was a baby. I certainly remember my mum's mum though. She used to cook awesome roasts and give the best calming hugs. One time she she shocked everyone by disagreeing with something, saying, "Pig's arse!" Pretty funny.

It was kind of obvious to me that she was on the spectrum. You know how you can spot an aspie if you are one? Well, my grandmother was a spazz if I ever saw one.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2016, 03:56:32 PM »
  I never met any of my grandparents, I wish I had known them.  :prude: :oldman:

I'm lucky to have met all four. My paternal grandfather died when I was four, though, so I barely remember him.

- Albert Einstein

Offline Genesis

• The impostor who isn't from Old Country formerly known as Soviet Union
  • News Box Slave
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • The Blogger Was Here
    • Night Owl Redux
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2016, 06:29:12 PM »
Mom's mother was a Mennonite who wore a Prayer Cap, and she always wanted to play Scrabble with me and my sister whenever we visited. Dad's mom had a issue with a few things.... yet she got over them. (as far as I'm told)

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2016, 06:55:22 PM »
My grandmother was an aspie. When she died, she was probably the oldest aspie in the world.

WoW!!

How old?

Mine, on my mom's side was a wholesome Christian, who spent an entire life helping other people. She only had eight kids (my mom was the fourth), four girls, then four boys.

On my dad's side. she "might have been somewhere on the spectrum"  as I remember her. She died when I was twenty two and I had never heard of autism at that point in time ('73? pretty sure most had not even heard of this either, even those who had a child experiencing difficulties - hell, you just slap a kid when they do not act right in those days - been slapped hundreds of times by my own loving mother for not acting right or not looking her in the eye, etc.), but she had her little "ocd things"  that she always did.  And they changed from one thing to the next from time to time. There were a lot of "signs."

Dunno.

She was born in 1907. died in'73. She was not very old as far as old people go. My mom's mom was a little older, but got bad toward the end with Alzheimer's disease.   My mom's mom was born in 1908 and died in 2000.

Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2016, 06:59:52 PM »
My dad's mother had fiery red hair and everyone loved her, ... /clip

Same here.

She was almost six feet tall and quite a sight to behold with her "loud"  fashion sense.

... and very funny. Just do not get her pissed off.
 :laugh:
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2016, 12:17:23 AM »

WoW!!

How old?

She was four days shy of 101 when she died.

- Albert Einstein

Offline Charlotte Quin

• Abbess from the Abyss
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2016, 06:28:01 AM »
My dad's mum died in 2008 due to renal failure when she was 91. She was a nice old lady, never grumpy/crabby towards anyone and always loved to laugh, despite the fact my dad's dad was an abusive asshole (he died in 1989) and she had a traumatic past. She was interested in board/card games and betting on the horses. Lived in her own home until she died and her mind was also as sharp as a pin until then too (more than likely due to all the crosswords and boardgames!). She remembered EVERYONE'S birthday each year.

My mum's mum is still alive and is 95 in February. She's extremely short! Like, less than 5ft tall. She couldn't even see out of the windows in her own house and she always had to get special cushions made so she could see over the dash to drive her car (has lost her license now though). She lives in one of those mobile home retirement villages because my aunt made her sell her house. She can be a bit crabby. As she's gotten a lot older she's gotten kinda quiet spoken and depressed. She has problems being in groups and following conversations. I have trouble keeping in contact with her because she can't hear me on the phone.

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2016, 02:11:13 PM »
I only met my grandmother from my dad's side.  She was a bit too social to be on the spectrum but   definitely close and her family was full of people who by the way she described  them were.     She was the only student with a car at Uconn back in the early 20s and she taught my grandfather how to drive.  She graduated and taught home economics till her only child my father was born and didn't work again till later in life when she was a real estate broker.  She loved antiques, old houses and odd things.  Her house was full of all kinds of stuff and at times seemed more like a museum there were guns some went back to the revolution, swords, stuffed alligators, an extensive shell and mineral collection, coins, about 5000 sets of salt and peppers and antiques of every type.  The basement and attic were full too of more of the same it was an amazing place and she love talking about it all.   She was also very catholic with crosses and religious stuff all over.  She was also very much the one in charge of everything in the family at least until my brothers and sisters got older.  She lived to be 95   
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

Offline renaeden

• Complicated Case of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2016, 04:17:22 AM »
I forgot to say, my Nanna died from Alzheimer's Disease. So did her sister. My mum is extremely paranoid of getting the same thing so she told me to tell her if I notice any signs of it in her. So far I haven't and she will be 70 in December.
Mildly Cute in a Retarded Way
Tek'ma'tae