Educational

Author Topic: Question About Knowledge + Intelligence  (Read 227 times)

Offline Graelwyn

• Elder
  • Incessant Poster
Question About Knowledge + Intelligence
« on: February 21, 2015, 01:34:31 PM »
I sent this in a pm to someone originally, as I am a bit shy of posting some of my thoughts on the board, but it was suggested it would make a good topic for discussion and maybe I can get some different insights on it. So anyway, here is what I sent.

Did you ever experience frustration that time was too short to learn everything?
I find it so frustrating that if I start watching a general history series, like A History Of Britain, I find I do not have much of a knowledge about all the elements within it, such as the romans, then roman history, then the forming of rome etc, then I want to go back even further and understand how the land formed into separate countries and so on and I end up frustrated and no longer enjoying the series because I realise how little I know and feel unintelligent.

I seem to have not absorbed or to not remember a great deal of my school education, my general knowledge is pretty appalling as I am finding in the pub quiz my group does weekly and yeah, I have always placed more value on my intelligence than anything else about me.

There is so damn much I do not know and do not understand. I know nil about politics and philosophy, for example.
They just never interested me. But my mother seems to have at least a basic understanding as does my brother.

Is this an aspie thing, to be rubbish at general knowledge? I also seem to forget easily, even some areas I obsessed about in my past. I used to eat, sleep and breathe Doctor Who, but I can no longer name all the stories or recall all the material I read about the making of it and the mishaps etc.

Offline Yuri Bezmenov

• Drunk-assed squadron leader
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Communist propaganda is demoralizing the West.
Re: Question About Knowledge + Intelligence
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2015, 01:41:48 PM »
I'm a fair trivia buff. I do pretty good playing along on Jeopardy. I often get questions that all 3 contestants miss.

I think it depends on what "kind" of brain you have. I'm great with concepts and fitting information into larger contexts.

I'm crappy at memorizing lists without some kind of context to place the list within.

Offline Jack

• Reiterative Utterance of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • You don't know Jack.
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2015, 01:48:07 PM »
Don't think it's uncommon at all for autistics to have uneven abilities. A great man once told me I'm an interesting juxtaposition of brilliance and not knowing common things. It's one of the most flattering compliments ever received. He should come back.

Offline Jack

• Elder
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • You don't know Jack.
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2015, 02:17:32 PM »
then I want to go back even further and understand how the land formed into separate countries and so on
Have had the experience of looking at a stone and wanting to know the entire geological history of the earth which lead up to that stone, while at the same time not even knowing the particular classification of the stone. So, yes. :laugh:

Offline Graelwyn

• Elder
  • Incessant Poster
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2015, 02:29:00 PM »
then I want to go back even further and understand how the land formed into separate countries and so on
Have had the experience of looking at a stone and wanting to know the entire geological history of the earth which lead up to that stone, while at the same time not even knowing the particular classification of the stone. So, yes. :laugh:

Haha, I only have to watch a single programme on something educational, and I will end up stuck on wiki, trying to learn about the individual components. I am now very wary of carrying on watching A History Of Britain as I was all over the net last night, researching the saxons, St Patrick, the origins of the Roman Empire, what the word 'sack' meant in the context of the Sacking of Rome... on and on. A programme that should have been an hour of watching, turned into hours of pausing while I looked things up  :lol1:

Offline Graelwyn

• Elder
  • Incessant Poster
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2015, 02:31:40 PM »
I'm a fair trivia buff. I do pretty good playing along on Jeopardy. I often get questions that all 3 contestants miss.

I think it depends on what "kind" of brain you have. I'm great with concepts and fitting information into larger contexts.

I'm crappy at memorizing lists without some kind of context to place the list within.

I seem to have to be very interested in something for it to be absorbed. I have tried forcing myself to learn certain areas I have no real interest in, and failed miserably. I did surprise myself and a physicist sat next to me at last week's pub quiz though when I managed to answer a question asking what a colloid hydrogel consisting of fine granular material (such as sand or silt), clay, and water, is otherwise known as. It was Quicksand. Of course, it helped that the first letter was Q, and we knew that based on other answers, but no-one else had thought of it.

Offline Icequeen

• News Box Slave
  • Insane Postwhore
  • I peopled today.
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2015, 04:28:17 PM »
I think I'm a keeper of useless facts. I research everything, look up everything...read about one thing...then they will mention something else that interests me...and then I need to read about that...3 hrs later I'm still reading about things as a result of branching off from the first thing. Not enough hours in the day for all the stuff I want to learn.

Ask me about politics, the latest TV series, world events, local events, who married who, who divorced who... :dunno:. I don't know, and don't care most of the time.   

Offline Graelwyn

• Elder
  • Incessant Poster
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2015, 04:58:33 PM »
I think I'm a keeper of useless facts. I research everything, look up everything...read about one thing...then they will mention something else that interests me...and then I need to read about that...3 hrs later I'm still reading about things as a result of branching off from the first thing. Not enough hours in the day for all the stuff I want to learn.

Ask me about politics, the latest TV series, world events, local events, who married who, who divorced who... :dunno:. I don't know, and don't care most of the time.

I wish I were a keeper, but my facts seem to somehow slide out the other side of my brain and vanish into the ether soon after I learn anything these days. Though, facts related to my interest in criminal profiling and forensics seem to be sticking... but I suppose those are pretty much useless facts too since there is no way I can pursue a career in that area at my age, and in the situation I am in.

Offline renaeden

• Complicated Case of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2015, 11:50:10 PM »
I am nearing the end of my psychology degree and people seem to assume that I know heaps about deep psychological workings. I know practically nothing. My thesis was about plagiarism. Other classes were about various unusual subjects. A lot of time was spent researching those. However, my next subject will be about ADHD and gaming addiction. I live with a great example (Ceilidh). I am glad I will be learning a lot about ADHD. But I will still feel that I haven't learnt enough.
Mildly Cute in a Retarded Way
Tek'ma'tae

Offline MLA

• Elitest Aspie of the Aspie Elite
  • Modulator
  • Dedicated Postwhore
  • The internet isn't a library, it's a stage.
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2015, 11:30:11 AM »
Did you ever experience frustration that time was too short to learn everything?

Yes, this, always.  if I had my way, I would spend the rest of my life collecting undergraduate degrees.  I don't want to be the best in the world at any one thing, I want a working familiarity with all the things.

Offline El

• Unofficial Weird News Reporter of the Aspie Elite
  • News Box Slave
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2015, 12:17:08 PM »
Don't think it's uncommon at all for autistics people to have uneven abilities. A great man once told me I'm an interesting juxtaposition of brilliance and not knowing common things. It's one of the most flattering compliments ever received. He should come back.
fixed :P
it is well known that PMS Elle is evil.
I think you'd fit in a 12" or at least a 16" firework mortar
You win this thread because that's most unsettling to even think about.

Offline Jack

• Elder
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • You don't know Jack.
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2015, 01:31:25 PM »
Don't think it's uncommon at all for autistics people to have uneven abilities. A great man once told me I'm an interesting juxtaposition of brilliance and not knowing common things. It's one of the most flattering compliments ever received. He should come back.
Maybe the meaning of that statement was misinterpreted, or you have some insight from your studies and profession that I don't which makes that statement incorrect. Don't think it's uncommon for autistics to meet the criteria of being twice exceptional, to qualify as both gifted and also having special needs to learning and/or speech disability or difficulty learning or expressing knowledge through traditional means. The unevenness of ability being referenced is extreme.

Offline Walkie

• Wooden sword crusader of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2015, 08:41:32 PM »
Maybe the meaning of that statement was misinterpreted, or you have some insight from your studies and profession that I don't which makes that statement incorrect. Don't think it's uncommon for autistics to meet the criteria of being twice exceptional, to qualify as both gifted and also having special needs to learning and/or speech disability or difficulty learning or expressing knowledge through traditional means. The unevenness of ability being referenced is extreme.
i totally agree
hmm maybe PMs Elle meant that you should have put "autistic people"?
« Last Edit: February 22, 2015, 08:43:55 PM by DrunkardsWalk »

Offline Jack

• Elder
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • You don't know Jack.
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2015, 09:40:33 PM »
Thinking it was more poor communication on my part and can understand how the words, uneven abilities, could come across as fairly generic and able to be applied to anyone.

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2015, 12:04:08 AM »
Don't think it's uncommon at all for autistics to have uneven abilities.

That's what they told me when I got my dx.

I've frequently felt very stupid almost simultaneously with feeling very smart.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein