Educational

Author Topic: Police in Beloit, Wisconsin ask residents to voluntarily consent to gun searches  (Read 579 times)

Offline Semicolon

• The Punctuated Equilibrium Of The Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
  • I am an echolalic mastodon.
Beloit Police Ask Residents To Volunteer To Have Their Homes Searched For Guns

Chief Of Police Says He Hopes Initiative Can Help Residents Begin Thinking Differently About Guns

Quote from: Gilman Halsted, Wisconsin Public Radio
Police in Beloit are launching a new effort to reduce gun violence in which they're asking city residents to volunteer to have police search their homes for guns.

Police Chief Norm Jacobs said he doesn't expect the phone to be ringing off the hook with requests for police to search their homes. He nevertheless hopes the program will encourage people to think about gun violence as an infectious disease like Ebola, and a home inspection like a vaccine to help build up the city's immune system.

"Gun violence is as serious as the Ebola virus is being represented in the media, and we should fight it using the tools that we've learned from our health providers,” he said.

Jacobs said he hopes some searches will result in the discovery of guns they didn't know were in their own homes. He said that there’s also a chance they’ll find guns linked to crimes.

“That's really what we're looking for,” he said. “Maybe we'll find a toy gun that's been altered by a youngster in the house — and we know the tragedies that can occur there on occasion.”

There have been seven gun homicides in Beloit this year. Four of the victims were teenagers or young men in their 20s — like Melisha Holloway's 20-year-old son Raymond, who was killed in April. Holloway said too many young men have given up on school.

“Pretty much all those kids and young men just need to be is educated,” said Holloway. “You have a lot of them that barely read at a fifth-grade level yet they're 25 year-old-men. But they know how to work a gun. There's something wrong with that picture."

This week, 20-year-old Jajuan Logan was sentenced to 12 years in prison for Holloway's murder.

Source

I haven't been able to find left-wing coverage of the story, so beware of bias. :GA:
I2 has a smiley for everything. Even a hamster wheel. :hamsterwheel:

Quote from: iamnotaparakeet
Jesus died on the cross to show us that BDSM is a legitimate form of love.
There is only one truth and it is that people do have penises of different sizes and one of them is the longest.

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
I haven't been able to find left-wing coverage of the story, so beware of bias. :GA:

NPR is in general left-wing.

Anyone consenting to a search like that needs to taken in for a full mental evaluation
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

Offline RageBeoulve

• Super sand nigger
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
Beloit Police Ask Residents To Volunteer To Have Their Homes Searched For Guns

Hang him.
"I’m fearless in my heart.
They will always see that in my eyes.
I am the passion; I am the warfare.
I will never stop...
always constant, accurate, and intense."

- Steve Vai, "The Audience is Listening"

Offline Semicolon

• Elder
  • Insane Postwhore

Anyone consenting to a search like that needs to taken in for a full mental evaluation

I find it insidious that the police chief invokes children in his argument.

There is only one truth and it is that people do have penises of different sizes and one of them is the longest.

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?

I find it insidious that the police chief invokes children in his argument.

Bringing up the police shooting murder  of that kid  in Cleveland was particularly low even though he didn't mention it directly you know he was referring to it

George Bernard Shaw

Offline Gopher Gary

• sockpuppet alert!
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • I'm not wearing pants.
I don't let strangers in my house because they might have ebola.  :zoinks:
:gopher:

Offline Icequeen

• News Box Slave
  • Insane Postwhore
  • I peopled today.

I don't let strangers in my house.

Offline Gopher Gary

• sockpuppet alert!
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • I'm not wearing pants.

But you can give them your guns to help combat the spread of ebola.  :zoinks:

Offline Semicolon

• Elder
  • Insane Postwhore

Perhaps this well-reasoned argument will finally convince me that guns are inherently evil. :autism:

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
It's a bit worrying if they really are inherently evil, but maybe that's why they want to search your house. They are only trying to protect you from the evil guns.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
My wife's wallet was stolen once and the police came over the house to take the report while inside they noticed some antique lab glassware I had in a china cabinet after that the stolen wallet seamed secondary it was all about the lab glassware and it felt like I was the one being investigated,  I can't imagine what they would think if they did a full walk through :zombiefuck:   Since then I have stressed to my wife and kids they are not allowed inside that goes for any sort of government type letting them in is just asking for trouble.

George Bernard Shaw

Offline Semicolon

• Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
My wife's wallet was stolen once and the police came over the house to take the report while inside they noticed some antique lab glassware I had in a china cabinet after that the stolen wallet seamed secondary it was all about the lab glassware and it felt like I was the one being investigated,  I can't imagine what they would think if they did a full walk through :zombiefuck:   Since then I have stressed to my wife and kids they are not allowed inside that goes for any sort of government type letting them in is just asking for trouble.

:indeed:

An empty bottle could be drug paraphernalia, and money left in the open could be the proceeds of a drug deal. :autism:

Offline RageBeoulve

• Super sand nigger
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
I suggest the residents of Wisconsin let the evil guns out of their safes and let them run wild all over so they can fly around and shoot all the police.

That'll give people an excuse to put the evil guns down once and for all. :zoinks:
"I’m fearless in my heart.
They will always see that in my eyes.
I am the passion; I am the warfare.
I will never stop...
always constant, accurate, and intense."

- Steve Vai, "The Audience is Listening"

Offline Icequeen

• News Box Slave
  • Insane Postwhore
  • I peopled today.

You're just lucky the hazmat suit and the civil defense barrels where in another room. :heisenberg:

Seriously, we had local police show up at our house in the 70's when I was a kid...someone told them about my dad collecting guns and reloading his own ammo. They came out to "look around". :LOL:

You step out on the porch, close the door behind you and ask them what they want...which is exactly what he did at the time. Anything else, they need a warrant.

My dad was pissed.

Offline Gopher Gary

• sockpuppet alert!
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • I'm not wearing pants.

Perhaps this well-reasoned argument will finally convince me that guns are inherently evil. :autism:

Ebola guns are truly evil. Surrender to search and seizure or risk the infection.  :zoinks: