Offline 'andersom'

• Pure Chocolate Bovine PIMP of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • well known as hyke.
Re: Ebola
« Reply #45 on: September 29, 2014, 11:24:52 PM »
So very true. Unfortunately.

I do think that the situation is changing, but ebola is still seen as a West African problem, not something the big boys need to bother with.

It is and African problem, and it is a "sexy" problem, one that you will find in crime series. Ebola triggers the mind.

In western Europe some diseases hardly get media attention, because it just is not a sexy juicy disease, even if it kills people. Loads of people got infected with Q fever, in the Netherlands, in 2011. With long term effects. People got killed by it too. It was not a sexy disease, and it was more profitable to not talk about it too. So, it was barely talked about. There was hardly a thing about it in the papers back then, and even now, it gets little attention.
I can do upside down chocolate moo things!

Offline Jack

• Reiterative Utterance of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • You don't know Jack.
« Reply #46 on: September 30, 2014, 12:05:43 AM »
Which is an excellent way to motivate them.
It only notes the difference between caring about the spread of ebola, and caring about the people dying in Africa; thinking there's a big difference.

It is and African problem, and it is a "sexy" problem, one that you will find in crime series. Ebola triggers the mind.
Am thinking it's not even that; it's recognized an anyone problem, and that's why it frightens people. Even when aids spread to the western world, leaders of the US didn't really care, the general public didn't really care beyond the sensationalism, because in the beginning it was primarily a disease of junkies and gay men. Leaders only began to care about the disease when when women, children, and old people started contracting it; they started caring because it was being spread by the medical institutions; they started caring because they cared about who was dying from the disease, and to this day that doesn't include the people of Africa.

Offline Jack

• Elder
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • You don't know Jack.
« Reply #47 on: September 30, 2014, 02:00:20 AM »
As for not speaking their language, she wouldn't have been the first missionary with that particular handicap. Never stopped any of them.
You reminded me of something funny. In my last position, the facility had a large number of non-English speaking workers. Each month cake was served by the administrative staff, in honor of anyone having a birthday that month. One time one of the managers was handing out slices of cake, saying happy Halloween happy Halloween, to each person passing by. Asked her why she was saying happy Halloween, and she said they don't understand or care what she's saying anyway. Thought that was hilarious because she was right; it was about the cake and not the message being delivered along with it. :laugh:

Offline bodie

• Reflective Katoptronaphiliac of the Aspie Elite
  • News Box Slave
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • busy re arranging deck chairs on board the Titanic
« Reply #48 on: September 30, 2014, 03:24:05 AM »
I don't know much about missionary work,  but i think these areas in Africa specifically need medical staff and not religious guidance.

Médecins Sans Frontières/Doctors Without Borders are one of the main organisations with people on the ground in places with ebola.  They provide doctors and health workers irrespective of race, religion, creed, or political convictions.  They are independent of any political or religious agenda.  I have been reading some of their blogs.  They are awesome.   Founded in France.

A lot of countries adopt some kind of Good Samaritan law.  In England,  this is rarely enforced.  It applies when there is a relationship already between the 'rescuer' and 'person in distress'.   Health and Safety regulations seem to come first.   In other places,  the 'rescuer' has been sued by the person if they accidently make matters worse or cause further harm!

The Good Samaritan Laws in France are different.
The French Law, not only does not seek to exonerate the rescuer of any liability in the event of inappropriate help, but quite to the contrary it intends to punish – both in criminal and civil law – the bystander who, directly witnessing a dangerous incident, does not intervene even though to do so would pose no risk to him or a third party.
Criminal Code Art 223-6

I am not even sure if i applaud this law or not.  I like to keep laws to an absolute minimum if i had the choice.  I was just wondering if its principals influenced the founding ideas of Médecins Sans Frontières.  I was also trying to imagine how it would impact a person growing up with a law that almost demands altruism,  and possibly even heroism.   
blah blah blah

Offline Jack

• Elder
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • You don't know Jack.
« Reply #49 on: September 30, 2014, 03:34:18 AM »
Have only ever read about samaritan laws being used against anyone, in the case of Princess Diana's death. Maybe it's about the status of who needs rescuing in some places. Though laws over there are strange and have gotten the impression people don't have the right to protect themselves in self-defense, being sued by their own attackers, so it doesn't surprise there are places where people can be sued for trying to help someone. Samatarian laws are good because people shouldn't have worry about being charged with a crime for trying to help.

Offline Jack

• Elder
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • You don't know Jack.
« Reply #50 on: September 30, 2014, 03:36:06 AM »
Are you currently able to load the page for recent posts at the bottom of the hompage, Bodaccea?

Offline Jack

• Elder
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • You don't know Jack.
« Reply #51 on: September 30, 2014, 04:35:16 AM »
Are you currently able to load the page for recent posts at the bottom of the hompage, Bodaccea?
Nevermind. It's working now.

Offline Jack

• Elder
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • You don't know Jack.
« Reply #52 on: September 30, 2014, 04:49:18 AM »
It only notes the difference between caring about the spread of ebola, and caring about the people dying in Africa; thinking there's a big difference.
Though will agree the motivation doesn't really matter, as long as people are getting the help they need. Unless of course that motivation is religious. :laugh:

Offline bodie

• News Box Slave
  • Maniacal Postwhore
« Reply #53 on: September 30, 2014, 04:49:25 AM »
? i had wondered off from this laptap and left it with a lot of windows open.  i returned and  had to reload :zoinks:
blah blah blah

Offline Jack

• Elder
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • You don't know Jack.
« Reply #54 on: September 30, 2014, 04:50:36 AM »
It may have been something glitching on my own computer. It seem to be related to a post he made with a video, and maybe my browser was having trouble loading it. Seems fine now.

Offline 'andersom'

• Pure Chocolate Bovine PIMP of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • well known as hyke.
« Reply #55 on: September 30, 2014, 06:16:10 AM »
I don't know much about missionary work,  but i think these areas in Africa specifically need medical staff and not religious guidance.

Médecins Sans Frontières/Doctors Without Borders are one of the main organisations with people on the ground in places with ebola.  They provide doctors and health workers irrespective of race, religion, creed, or political convictions.  They are independent of any political or religious agenda.  I have been reading some of their blogs.  They are awesome.   Founded in France.

A lot of countries adopt some kind of Good Samaritan law.  In England,  this is rarely enforced.  It applies when there is a relationship already between the 'rescuer' and 'person in distress'.   Health and Safety regulations seem to come first.   In other places,  the 'rescuer' has been sued by the person if they accidently make matters worse or cause further harm!

The French Law, not only does not seek to exonerate the rescuer of any liability in the event of inappropriate help, but quite to the contrary it intends to punish – both in criminal and civil law – the bystander who, directly witnessing a dangerous incident, does not intervene even though to do so would pose no risk to him or a third party.
Criminal Code Art 223-6

I am not even sure if i applaud this law or not.  I like to keep laws to an absolute minimum if i had the choice.  I was just wondering if its principals influenced the founding ideas of Médecins Sans Frontières.  I was also trying to imagine how it would impact a person growing up with a law that almost demands altruism,  and possibly even heroism.

Artsen zonder grenzen/Médecins Sans Frontières is an organisation I support on a regular basis. Sometimes I cannot bring myself to reading their journal though. It's awesome what they are doing.
I can do upside down chocolate moo things!

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #56 on: September 30, 2014, 11:27:50 PM »

Criminal Code Art 223-6

I seem to recall that we have a law like that.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #57 on: September 30, 2014, 11:29:04 PM »
It may have been something glitching on my own computer. It seem to be related to a post he made with a video, and maybe my browser was having trouble loading it. Seems fine now.

Clear your browser's cache and any I2-related cookies.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #58 on: September 30, 2014, 11:32:09 PM »

But every now and then, somebody will hop on a plane from A to B and find out that he is sick a day or two after arriving at B.

Which is something that is happening right now, and which I'm sure will further motivate the leaders to finance the efforts to contain the virus.

- Albert Einstein

Offline bodie

• News Box Slave
  • Maniacal Postwhore
« Reply #59 on: October 01, 2014, 01:54:37 AM »

Criminal Code Art 223-6

I seem to recall that we have a law like that.

Your government has been considering this law,  but not sure if it has decided to do so.

I believe it is covered in the handbook, titled  "Good moomin Guide"  :moomin:
In Chapter 95 (punishments) it clearly states that any bad moomin who ignores another in distress will be sent to the naughty step.
blah blah blah