Educational

Author Topic: OKCupid asks users to boycott Firefox because of CEO's gay rights stance  (Read 1394 times)

Offline 'andersom'

• Pure Chocolate Bovine PIMP of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • well known as hyke.
Let's boycott Firefox because he resigned :zoinks:

While still using javascript?
I can do upside down chocolate moo things!

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?

Of course,  I never said I make any sense,  just want to jump on the boycotting band wagon and ride along for awhile :green:
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

Offline 'andersom'

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • well known as hyke.

Of course,  I never said I make any sense,  just want to jump on the boycotting band wagon and ride along for awhile :green:

One has to be precise in things like these.

Companies should hire personnel, not for their skills, but for their lack of offensive opinions.

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?

Companies should hire personnel, not for their skills, but for their lack of offensive opinions.

One reason I will never be hired :zoinks:

George Bernard Shaw

Offline 'andersom'

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • well known as hyke.

You made it to be an admin here.  :viking:

Offline Semicolon

• The Punctuated Equilibrium Of The Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
  • I am an echolalic mastodon.

Having offensive opinions is a prerequisite here.
I2 has a smiley for everything. Even a hamster wheel. :hamsterwheel:

Quote from: iamnotaparakeet
Jesus died on the cross to show us that BDSM is a legitimate form of love.
There is only one truth and it is that people do have penises of different sizes and one of them is the longest.

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
And he resigned.

Why is it that freedom of speech only seems to be acceptable if you agree with what's being said?
He still had (and has) freedom of speech.  He wasn't facing legal action for doing something politically unpopular (let's pretend that counts as "speech" in the first place); he was facing public backlash.  Firefox could have kept him on, but they didn't want to piss off their customers.  I fail to see how anyone's freedom of speech was affected.   :dunno:

How is it *not* affected? The message is clear: don't even think about supporting a politically incorrect opinion if you want to keep your job. That kind of pressure is very, very effective because on the surface of it all, freedom of speech is preserved, the weak protected and the rain forests kept intact.

Freedom of speech is only actually useful if the unpopular views are tolerated, too.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot

:laugh:
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot

Yes. You'll be sacked if you are too PC. :zoinks:

- Albert Einstein

Offline El-Presidente

• Caliph of the Aspie Elite
  • Modulator
  • Postwhore
  • I love kitties! Fluffy kitties are nice!!
    • ASD Community

Did someone say offensive opinions?  :orly:

EL PRESIDENTE DEMANDS NOODZ!!

Offline El

• Unofficial Weird News Reporter of the Aspie Elite
  • News Box Slave
  • Almighty Postwhore
And he resigned.

Why is it that freedom of speech only seems to be acceptable if you agree with what's being said?
He still had (and has) freedom of speech.  He wasn't facing legal action for doing something politically unpopular (let's pretend that counts as "speech" in the first place); he was facing public backlash.  Firefox could have kept him on, but they didn't want to piss off their customers.  I fail to see how anyone's freedom of speech was affected.   :dunno:

How is it *not* affected? The message is clear: don't even think about supporting a politically incorrect opinion if you want to keep your job. That kind of pressure is very, very effective because on the surface of it all, freedom of speech is preserved, the weak protected and the rain forests kept intact.

Freedom of speech is only actually useful if the unpopular views are tolerated, too.
What you do in your personal life can affect your professional life if it's outrageous enough and/or if you're in a position to be under scrutiny.  I doubt every single employee at firefox is- or ever will be- held to the same standard as the head of the company.  If you're a public figure, yeah, you're under the microscope.  Again, capitalism:  If you're the head of a giant company, you have strong potential to be a public figure.  That is what it is.  I strongly doubt he'd have trouble finding a new job working with a small startup- his career is already beyond what most of us could ever dream of achieving.  I mean, the dude's also free to tattoo "God hates fags" on his forehead if he wants to.  There's consequences to that, as well.

I think we're operating under different definitions of 'freedom of speech.'
it is well known that PMS Elle is evil.
I think you'd fit in a 12" or at least a 16" firework mortar
You win this thread because that's most unsettling to even think about.

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
I always find it kinda ironic that people who say they strive for tolerance and acceptance  are so intolerant and unaccepting  of the people who oppose them. 

George Bernard Shaw

Offline Jack

• Reiterative Utterance of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • You don't know Jack.
Parts has no tolerance for the unacceptable intolerance of the intolerant and unaccepted. Jack finds this all highly unacceptable. :laugh:

Offline RageBeoulve

• Super sand nigger
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
Yup. I wouldn't use that site again.

Which is the answer. The guy is free to believe however he wants, and do as he pleases with his own property. I think he is a gigantic faggot for being so homophobic, but I wouldn't think of using force to try and get my own way with HIS company. Its his, and it belongs to HIM.

I think these social justice fucks need to get over themselves.
"I’m fearless in my heart.
They will always see that in my eyes.
I am the passion; I am the warfare.
I will never stop...
always constant, accurate, and intense."

- Steve Vai, "The Audience is Listening"

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
And he resigned.

What you do in your personal life can affect your professional life if it's outrageous enough and/or if you're in a position to be under scrutiny.  I doubt every single employee at firefox is- or ever will be- held to the same standard as the head of the company.  If you're a public figure, yeah, you're under the microscope.  Again, capitalism:  If you're the head of a giant company, you have strong potential to be a public figure.  That is what it is.  I strongly doubt he'd have trouble finding a new job working with a small startup- his career is already beyond what most of us could ever dream of achieving.  I mean, the dude's also free to tattoo "God hates fags" on his forehead if he wants to.  There's consequences to that, as well.

I think we're operating under different definitions of 'freedom of speech.'

So the irony here is that one freedom of speech kills another. Also, in your world, the larger (or rather, more public) the company, the less freedom of speech, actually allowing everyone to hold their opinions without fear of losing their jobs.

Sorry, I disagree, and disagree strongly.

His opinions, in this case, had nothing to do with his ability to lead the company. Nothing. IMHO, this is not freedom of speech, it's not even defending a set of predefined values, it's just being fearful of how the market might react. It's populism.

My choice of browser is not affected by the opinions of an individual at Mozilla. It is, however, affected by how Mozilla as a company reacts to inconvenient opinions held by its employers.

- Albert Einstein