Educational

Author Topic: China's poorest beat our best pupils  (Read 569 times)

Offline bodie

• Reflective Katoptronaphiliac of the Aspie Elite
  • News Box Slave
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • busy re arranging deck chairs on board the Titanic
China's poorest beat our best pupils
« on: February 18, 2014, 05:56:42 AM »
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education/10645090/Chinas-poorest-beat-our-best-pupils.html

Children of factory workers and cleaners in Far East achieve better exam results than offspring of British lawyers and doctors, says OECD

The report said: “In the United States and the United Kingdom, where professionals are among the highest-paid in the world, students whose parents work as professionals do not perform as well in mathematics as children of professionals in other countries — nor do they perform as well as the children in Shanghai-China and Singapore whose parents work in manual occupations.”

British schoolchildren are lagging so far behind their peers in the Far East that even pupils from wealthy backgrounds are now performing worse in exams than the poorest students in China, an international study shows.

The children of factory workers and cleaners in parts of the Far East are more than a year ahead of the offspring of British doctors and lawyers, according to a report by the Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development.

Researchers said the study, which looked at the performance of 15-year-olds in mathematics, showed countries to could overcome traditional social class divides to raise education standards among relatively deprived pupils.

The report was published as a senior European Commission politician attacked the standards of British schools and warned that UK politicians must improve the education system before focusing on changing the country’s relationship with the EU.

Viviane Reding, the vice-president of the European Commission, warned that ministers should focus on raising school standards instead of blaming the country’s problems on foreigners. In a speech in Cambridge she suggested that the UK’s poor education system is the reason Britons cannot compete with foreigners for jobs. She said politicians needed to “work on the quality of education and welfare, so that people in this country can find employment and enjoy reasonable social standards”.

In China they have about 50 in a class!  The only thing I can think of is maybe they are put under more pressure.  I wonder if depression and anxiety in children is more common in China?
blah blah blah

Offline Jack

• Reiterative Utterance of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • You don't know Jack.
Re: China's poorest beat our best pupils
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2014, 06:16:40 AM »
Never understood why articles like this are focused on finance of the student. The intellect of children and the quality of education presented in public school isn't directly tied to the personal wealth of the student's parents.

Offline Queen Victoria

• Ruler of Aspie Universe
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2014, 12:40:00 PM »
Are the same tests used throughout the world?  If not, how comparable are they? 

How much cheating/fudging is going on?

How much of the difference can be attributed to discipline instilled by parents and teachers?
A good monarch is a treasure. A good politician is an oxymoron.

My brain is both uninhibited and uninhabited.

:qv:

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2014, 02:07:06 PM »
Are the same tests used throughout the world?  If not, how comparable are they? 

How much cheating/fudging is going on?

How much of the difference can be attributed to discipline instilled by parents and teachers?

These stats on the tests always seem a little off to me for just these reasons.  A big question is do they test all the kids or just the ones that do well and if you don't do well or are too much trouble are you just kicked out.
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

Offline bodie

• News Box Slave
  • Maniacal Postwhore
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2014, 02:54:03 PM »
Apparently the tests used are universal.

However,  I could not find much info on schools for special needs, disabled children or what they do with 'naughty' ones but the comparable figures (those in UK) did not contain them either.

I know that each couple in China is allowed only one child.  Maybe  that, and the fact that they know beforehand means parents in China give their kids a more 'academic' home life.
blah blah blah

Offline 'andersom'

• Pure Chocolate Bovine PIMP of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • well known as hyke.
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2014, 04:13:31 PM »
Maybe the huge classes make that the education ways are more structured than the ones in the west?
Don't know, but some of the subjects my kids get in school seem to be more about how to present things, and how things are presented, than about the subject itself. The whole individual how to present yourself thing will not be an option to focus on in classes that big.

The math books my kids have are pretty good though, better than the ones I had when I was their age.

Would not surprise me if the Chinese filtered the non achievers out. But, it is since the eighties of the former century at least that the Asians stood out more in math, if I remember correctly.
I can do upside down chocolate moo things!

Offline bodie

• News Box Slave
  • Maniacal Postwhore
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2014, 04:24:07 PM »
I always notice

we say Maths   "do the maths"
others say Math "do the math"

:orly:

blah blah blah

Offline 'andersom'

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • well known as hyke.
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2014, 04:30:05 PM »
The Dutch say "wiskunde", the French have les Maths, or les Mathématiques, so, plural, just like you have.

Offline Icequeen

• News Box Slave
  • Insane Postwhore
  • I peopled today.
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2014, 04:41:14 PM »
Reporting from Shanghai -- Chinese adolescence is known as a time of scant whimsy: Students rise at dawn, disappear into school until dinnertime and toil into the late night over homework in preparation for university entrance exams that can make or break their future.

Study in China is very hard. For most high school, students must wake up about 6 o'clock and arrive school at 7 o'clock. There is no school buses in my small city (Hubei). So I have to ride my bike to school even in the winter (temperature below zero degrees C). And I spend 13 hours in school, 11 hours for class and 2 hours for lunch block. There are 40 mins per class but I have 10 class everyday. The last class is a long class started at 6 p.m. and end at 10 p.m. We had two types of class you can choose in high school, One is more scientific, like biology, chemical, and physical; One is more about literature -- history, government, and geography. But there are three subjects people must take, Chinese, math and ENGLISH. In my class, my friends all don't like English because all of them will never had chance to go aboard. And maybe they will stay in the small city rest of their life. So they didn't study at all. Same thing happened in all the subjects. So they hated school.

(From an essay by an exchange student)...The test in China is not very good. The teacher didn't care about do you learn in class or at home. The teachers just want to see your grades in the exam. So, as everyone know, some people cheat, and some people did very good job on cheating.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/mercedes-schneider/chengs-views-on-chinese-a_b_4800192.html

Sounds like a fun childhood. :P

Offline bodie

• News Box Slave
  • Maniacal Postwhore
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2014, 04:46:00 PM »
les Mathématiques

Oh that puts a secksy edge to it!  I like it  :-*
blah blah blah

Offline bodie

• News Box Slave
  • Maniacal Postwhore
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2014, 05:02:07 PM »

Yes when results matter that much that it takes all the fun out of childhood - they can keep it.
blah blah blah

Offline 'andersom'

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • well known as hyke.
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2014, 05:03:39 PM »

Yes when results matter that much that it takes all the fun out of childhood - they can keep it.
Indeed.

How high are suicide percentages, amongst youth in Shanghai?

Offline Jack

• Reiterative Utterance of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • You don't know Jack.
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2014, 05:16:26 PM »
Can't recall where at the moment but once encountered it said by a Chinese person, the stereotype of the Chinese being intellectually superior is a myth; they excelled in school because they would have been beaten at home otherwise. Probably really crummy for the ones who can't overachieve regardless of discipline.

Offline Semicolon

• The Punctuated Equilibrium Of The Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
  • I am an echolalic mastodon.
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2014, 06:57:13 PM »
The Dutch say "wiskunde", the French have les Maths, or les Mathématiques, so, plural, just like you have.

Americans have "math", no "the". Less sexy. :P
I2 has a smiley for everything. Even a hamster wheel. :hamsterwheel:

Quote from: iamnotaparakeet
Jesus died on the cross to show us that BDSM is a legitimate form of love.
There is only one truth and it is that people do have penises of different sizes and one of them is the longest.

Offline El

• Unofficial Weird News Reporter of the Aspie Elite
  • News Box Slave
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2014, 07:38:31 PM »
It's an unfair comparison.  In the US, we put ALL children into schools, regardless of aptitude or ability.  This isn't true across the world.  At fifteen, if you're failing in school, we generally won't LET kids drop out, even if they're clearly not able to deal with that kind of academic environment and we're probably just battering their egos for no particularly good reason.

These comparisons always annoy me.  They should be shown side-by-side with total population enrollment rates by age.

Not that I'd really trust anything that was reported by China.  Not so much for the allowance of dissenting opinions over there.  The US does sketchy-ass stuff with personal freedoms, but, for now, China's still got us pretty well beat on the oppression front.

Also re: SES having an effect:  Oh hells yes it does.  Poverty is a huge stressor, and stress tends to fuck with the way your mind works.  (And I say this very broadly.  Poverty also has a whole bunch of stuff that goes along with it, as precipitating factors and as consequences, which would be likely to disadvantage students.)  This isn't to argue that "poor people are stupid."  But, shit is just plain generally fucking HARDER when you're poor, and that includes school.
it is well known that PMS Elle is evil.
I think you'd fit in a 12" or at least a 16" firework mortar
You win this thread because that's most unsettling to even think about.