Author Topic: Enter 'Gomez'  (Read 465 times)

Offline bodie

• Reflective Katoptronaphiliac of the Aspie Elite
  • News Box Slave
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • busy re arranging deck chairs on board the Titanic
Enter 'Gomez'
« on: February 17, 2014, 03:34:59 AM »
This happened a while ago.  Just after Christmas.  Couldn’t post about it, until now.

I lost my beautiful baby boy cat Fester.   I fenced the perimeter of my land and there was just a bit left to do between our house and Hayley next door.  She didn’t mind Fester coming in and out of her garden.  I didn’t mind either because she has a big gate like I do preventing him from going out the front.  This day she had been putting her bins out and the gate was open.   It’s not even a busy road.  It does have it’s share of boy racers.

Anyway he was run over outside my house.  I picked him up and he was gone. His neck fell backwards it was obviously broken. 
I have never been so affected by the death of a pet.  I was in bits.  I remember coming round in the night (not sure if I was actually asleep) thinking ‘what is that noise?’ then realising it was my sobbing. 

I rang the urchin’s Dad, I’m gonna call him Lurch for the purpose of this story, and begged him to drop whatever and come home now.  Probably only ever asked him to do this twice in eight years.  He did.  The three of us had a little ceremony in our garden where we buried Fester.

Let me just explain the ‘grey’ thing.  I have grey eyes and when I first met Lurch I told him my life was ten shades of grey too.  He has always called me ‘Miss Grey’ and when I got Fester he would say “Look at you, with your grey eyes and your grey cat and your life to match”  So I was not surprised when he suggested getting another cat.  A grey one.   Now I would have said yes but I was broken.  I knew it would be good for the urchin but it was too soon. I wanted to turn tragedy to triumph for his sake but I just couldn’t.   I declined.  I did say “the only one I could have would be Fester’s brother”   Now, I am not sure if you guys will recall when I found the kitten, there was another one (grey too) that we couldn’t catch.  Those cats were moved on and I gave up going back there to search.

Well Lurch went on the hunt.  I had no idea.  He found out the cats had only moved a few hundred yards to some scrub ground belonging to a school.  There are three people we know who live on that road and Lurch roped them in also.  In fact he put a bounty of £50 for whoever could catch this grey nine month old kitten.  After ten days he raised it to £100.  It was our mate Chad who first noticed him and started putting food out which was tricky because this particular cat would only visit alone or occasionally with his  mother.  He seemed an outcast from the others.  It took Chad a few days but eventually coaxed him into his kitchen.

I would not have encouraged any of this and knew nothing of what was going on behind the scenes.  In fact I only said it to end the conversation thinking it was  an impossible task.

So, a couple of weeks ago I had a ‘surprise’ when Lurch turned up with this grey cat.  This grey cat who was a bag of bones.  This grey cat with only one eye.  Fester’s brother.

I was really shocked but not at all angry.  How could I turn away his brother when he so badly needed help?  He was starving, he was scruffy and he had one eye and a scar down his nose on the side where the eye was missing.
I frontlined him that day but decided not to take him to the vets for a few days as he didn’t seem at all bothered about his eye.  Don’t know how he lost it but it was not recent.  Those first few days all he did was sleep, eat and hide under my bed. I found some dried food that is 80% chicken, I have been giving him lactose free milk too.  Within 24hrs he started to clean his coat up and he has been filling out since.

I have worked hard to make friends with him and he has really adapted well.  He still runs away from the urchin and Lurch but that is because they keep trying to pick him up.  Like Fester, he is very much MY cat and follows me around the house,  he goes belly up for a tummy tickle and he purrs when I scratch behind his ear.  I haven’t taken any pics of him yet, but I will post them when I do.
I am grateful to Lurch for embarking on this ambitious plan.  He really did bring me the ONLY cat that he could, and in some ways I feel like we have turned tragedy to triumph.  We saved his brother.   I still miss Fester, but having his brother here has taken the edge off.  I used to come home from the supermarket with red eyes after avoiding the pet aisle.  I don’t do that anymore.

Oh, and I named him THE ONLY name possible to call a brother of Fester – GOMEZ! 
blah blah blah

Offline 'andersom'

• Pure Chocolate Bovine PIMP of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • well known as hyke.
Re: Enter 'Gomez'
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2014, 09:05:23 AM »
 :hug:

This is a sad and great story both.

RIP Fester, Welcome Gomez.
I can do upside down chocolate moo things!

Offline El-Presidente

• Caliph of the Aspie Elite
  • Modulator
  • Postwhore
  • I love kitties! Fluffy kitties are nice!!
    • ASD Community
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2014, 10:55:49 AM »
When I was a kid I had a pet cat who was my best friend. He died on my seventh birthday. I was utterly distraught and it was my first experience of grief. Even today, after more than a quarter of a century has passed I still remember him and what a good friend he was.

Offline bodie

• News Box Slave
  • Maniacal Postwhore
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2014, 12:18:57 PM »
He died on my seventh birthday.
That is a tough one.  :hug:
blah blah blah

Offline Queen Victoria

• Ruler of Aspie Universe
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2014, 04:26:26 PM »
When I saw the thread title "Gomez", Gomez Addams came immediately to mind.  I am soooooo glad tragedy has turned into good.
A good monarch is a treasure. A good politician is an oxymoron.

My brain is both uninhibited and uninhabited.

:qv:

Offline bodie

• News Box Slave
  • Maniacal Postwhore
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2014, 04:32:15 PM »
Yes.  Thank you.  It has been the urchin's first real *loss* and it is good to see him playing with Gomez and smiling again.

Question is,  Should I be Morticia or Cousin It ? :eyebrows:
blah blah blah

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2014, 04:32:39 PM »
You should train Gomez to do tricks and use French commands :green:
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

Offline Queen Victoria

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2014, 05:38:40 PM »
Yes.  Thank you.  It has been the urchin's first real *loss* and it is good to see him playing with Gomez and smiling again.

With your hair? ? ? Definitely Cousin It.

Offline Queen Victoria

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2014, 05:39:07 PM »
You should train Gomez to do tricks and use French commands :green:

LOL

Offline Icequeen

• News Box Slave
  • Insane Postwhore
  • I peopled today.
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2014, 07:28:13 PM »
I vote for Morticia.

Sorry about Fester  :'( ...but so happy you could save Gomez.

Lurch sounds like he can be pretty amazing.  :thumbup:

Offline Bastet

• Psychotic Mentally Deficient Deranged Bitch
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • MeOW!
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2014, 10:00:42 PM »
I wanna rescue ugly cats
:kitten: OBSESSIVE AILUROPHILE :kitten:

It is far better for people to hate you for doing the right thing than for people to love you for doing the wrong thing. Never ever forget that.

Offline Bastet

• Psychotic Mentally Deficient Deranged Bitch
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • MeOW!
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2014, 10:02:16 PM »

Yes. You should comb your hair over your face. I did that a lot when I was 10 and 11. It confused people. They thought my head was backwards.
:kitten: OBSESSIVE AILUROPHILE :kitten:

It is far better for people to hate you for doing the right thing than for people to love you for doing the wrong thing. Never ever forget that.

Offline Icequeen

• News Box Slave
  • Insane Postwhore
  • I peopled today.
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2014, 10:20:27 PM »

Yes. You should comb your hair over your face. I did that a lot when I was 10 and 11. It confused people. They thought my head was backwards.

I used to do that too...then put my glasses on over top of it. I had really long hair back then.

Offline renaeden

• Complicated Case of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2014, 11:38:03 PM »
The death of a cat is one thing that can really get me upset. So yeah, upset when I read about Fester.

So glad you have Gomez now.:)
Mildly Cute in a Retarded Way
Tek'ma'tae

Offline 'andersom'

• Pure Chocolate Bovine PIMP of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • well known as hyke.
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2014, 03:14:58 AM »

How good are your handjobs, maybe you should be Thing.  :eyebrows:
I can do upside down chocolate moo things!