Author Topic: We call in the army....again!  (Read 918 times)

Offline Semicolon

• The Punctuated Equilibrium Of The Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
  • I am an echolalic mastodon.
Re: We call in the army....again!
« Reply #30 on: February 13, 2014, 06:14:06 AM »

This is England's green and pleasant land!  Children are sailing to school in Somerset  :viking:
We are having the most terrible floods.

So,  who do we call?   The Army.   Again.

My point is the government have made 20'000 of them redundant.  They have been targeted to take the brunt of Public Spending Cuts.   Yet, they  are the most adaptable and capable people employed by the government.   In recent times we called them in when the fire fighters were on strike.   We called them in during the riots.   We called on them to help clear the motorway when we had a hundred plus cars in a pile up.   We call on them whenever the police can't cope.

So now, they are drafted in again to 'do something' (?) with all this flooded water.   

I am hoping that one day the whole of parliament will go down with food poisoning and we can draft in the army to run the country  :viking:

I know that I know nothing about you, but from WHERE are you hailing this insane crapshite?

I live in a country where "The Army"  are NOT subject to Public Spending Cuts. Our five-wide military forces are "financed" and supported by our Federal Government.  There can never be a time when some asinine, uninformed "public" can affect the workings of our military - any five of the Mighty "Arms"  of our military.

Our Military is defined specifically and entirely subject to Federal laws, set down by our constitution, over two hundred years ago.

In all honesty, our "Army Corps of Engineers"  has saved this country from a great number of similar embarrassing moments, built bridges, highways, dams, levees, etc.  All that comes from supporting a "REAL" military.

???

Bodie is from England, as she said in her post. The Constitution protects the right of American citizens to have a say in how the military is run.

Yes I was belittling the government.  I have been in the army ffs.  What you said Hyke is exactly right,  and the regiment I was part of 'The Worcestershire and Sherwood Foresters' is no more.  They were disbanded by the gov. to save money.

So when you were in the army, you were a Merry Man? 8)

:police:   :police:      :litigious:
« Last Edit: February 13, 2014, 06:16:21 AM by Semicolon »
I2 has a smiley for everything. Even a hamster wheel. :hamsterwheel:

Quote from: iamnotaparakeet
Jesus died on the cross to show us that BDSM is a legitimate form of love.
There is only one truth and it is that people do have penises of different sizes and one of them is the longest.

Offline bodie

• Reflective Katoptronaphiliac of the Aspie Elite
  • News Box Slave
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • busy re arranging deck chairs on board the Titanic
« Reply #31 on: February 13, 2014, 06:37:31 AM »

This is England's green and pleasant land!  Children are sailing to school in Somerset  :viking:

My point is the government have made 20'000 of them redundant.  They have been targeted to take the brunt of Public Spending Cuts.   Yet, they  are the most adaptable and capable people employed by the government.   In recent times we called them in when the fire fighters were on strike.   We called them in during the riots.   We called on them to help clear the motorway when we had a hundred plus cars in a pile up.   We call on them whenever the police can't cope.

So now, they are drafted in again to 'do something' (?) with all this flooded water.   

I am hoping that one day the whole of parliament will go down with food poisoning and we can draft in the army to run the country  :viking:

I know that I know nothing about you, but from WHERE are you hailing this insane crapshite?

I live in a country where "The Army"  are NOT subject to Public Spending Cuts. Our five-wide military forces are "financed" and supported by our Federal Government.  There can never be a time when some asinine, uninformed "public" can affect the workings of our military - any five of the Mighty "Arms"  of our military.

Our Military is defined specifically and entirely subject to Federal laws, set down by our constitution, over two hundred years ago.

In all honesty, our "Army Corps of Engineers"  has saved this country from a great number of similar embarrassing moments, built bridges, highways, dams, levees, etc.  All that comes from supporting a "REAL" military.

???

Bodie is from England, as she said in her post. The Constitution protects the right of American citizens to have a say in how the military is run.

Yes I was belittling the government.  I have been in the army ffs.  What you said Hyke is exactly right,  and the regiment I was part of 'The Worcestershire and Sherwood Foresters' is no more.  They were disbanded by the gov. to save money.

Like Robin Hood?  hehehe no green tights I'm afraid.

Actually I am making a bow and arrow.  Well its a project I am doing with my brother.  We have made about 5 so far, and are experimenting with arrow shape and size.  When I finish this one I will post pics.  It is a proper long bow with medieval specs and made with wood from the Yew tree. 
blah blah blah

Offline 'andersom'

• Pure Chocolate Bovine PIMP of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • well known as hyke.
« Reply #32 on: February 13, 2014, 06:39:19 AM »

???

Actually I am making a bow and arrow.  Well its a project I am doing with my brother.  We have made about 5 so far, and are experimenting with arrow shape and size.  When I finish this one I will post pics.  It is a proper long bow with medieval specs and made with wood from the Yew tree.

Wow, that has been a very long time ago, that my dad made bows and arrows with me and my one year younger brother. I sucked at aiming, but the bows were good, my brother could hit anything with it.
I can do upside down chocolate moo things!

Offline Semicolon

• Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
« Reply #33 on: February 13, 2014, 08:37:33 PM »

???

Shape? Why not just make a straight arrow? :P

There is only one truth and it is that people do have penises of different sizes and one of them is the longest.

Offline bodie

• News Box Slave
  • Maniacal Postwhore
« Reply #34 on: February 14, 2014, 03:35:47 AM »
A straight arrow is no good for going around corners  :hahaha:

Nah there are many things to be considered when making an arrow.  The length and weight of the shaft, for example, then the attachments such as the fletchings.  If using feathers at the back of the arrow it is important to use them from the same side of the bird as the natural way the feathers twist can affect the accuracy.  Then you have to decide on the arrowhead.  These can be bullet shaped with a sharp tip designed to penetrate without doing much damage.  Broadheads are designed to cause massive bleeding, barbed ones are difficult to remove etc. 

I am trying to keep as close to the medieval longbow spec as possible.   As yet I have not made a successful arrow using feather fletchings :-[

My bow and arrow project is taking months but am learning lots through trial and error.  Obviously, it won't be as authentic as a medieval one because I have an angle grinder  ;)
blah blah blah

Offline Semicolon

• Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
« Reply #35 on: February 14, 2014, 05:47:09 AM »
A straight arrow is no good for going around corners  :hahaha:

Nah there are many things to be considered when making an arrow.  The length and weight of the shaft, for example, then the attachments such as the fletchings.  If using feathers at the back of the arrow it is important to use them from the same side of the bird as the natural way the feathers twist can affect the accuracy.  Then you have to decide on the arrowhead.  These can be bullet shaped with a sharp tip designed to penetrate without doing much damage.  Broadheads are designed to cause massive bleeding, barbed ones are difficult to remove etc. 

I am trying to keep as close to the medieval longbow spec as possible.   As yet I have not made a successful arrow using feather fletchings :-[

My bow and arrow project is taking months but am learning lots through trial and error.  Obviously, it won't be as authentic as a medieval one because I have an angle grinder  ;)

I've heard it's illegal to hunt with a bow in Great Britain. Otherwise, you could shoot one of the king's deer in Sherwood Forest with your longbow . :P

Offline bodie

• News Box Slave
  • Maniacal Postwhore
« Reply #36 on: February 14, 2014, 06:01:54 AM »
AFAIK there are no laws prohibiting the use of a bow.   If hunting, one would have to make sure the prey was not belonging to someone or on someone's land. :viking:
blah blah blah

Offline Semicolon

• Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
« Reply #37 on: February 14, 2014, 06:08:48 AM »
AFAIK there are no laws prohibiting the use of a bow.   If hunting, one would have to make sure the prey was not belonging to someone or on someone's land. :viking:

:-\ Here is a law that says otherwise.

Offline bodie

• News Box Slave
  • Maniacal Postwhore
« Reply #38 on: February 14, 2014, 08:20:06 AM »
Thanks Semi.  Interesting.  I am not intending to hunt anyway,  nor is my brother but it is still good to know.  I did check the law regarding possession of a longbow and carrying it outdoors and it seems I am ok to transport it for target practice with landowners permission.

So far have only been to some farm land (with the farmers permission who is a friend of family) and used road signs as targets.  Yes the road signs were nicked from Severn Trent Water but we put them back afterwards.  My brothers arrow went clean through the metal. 

I have not hit the target.... yet  :hahaha:
blah blah blah

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
« Reply #39 on: February 14, 2014, 10:31:55 PM »
I find that new official portrait to be a bit scary, btw. Don't you?

Not so scary.

Nah, any man taking that hard of a shit has to be compromised, at least for a few minutes while he plugs his ass back together.

... or maybe I am reading between the lines ?

:dunno:
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #40 on: February 17, 2014, 11:48:18 PM »

Not so scary.

Nah, any man taking that hard of a shit has to be compromised, at least for a few minutes while he plugs his ass back together.

I meant literally scary. There's something about the painting that is a bit off.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline 'andersom'

• Pure Chocolate Bovine PIMP of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • well known as hyke.
« Reply #41 on: February 18, 2014, 03:25:47 AM »

Not so scary.

I meant literally scary. There's something about the painting that is a bit off.

Looks like the portrait of a man who has a physical job, a man who is used to having sweat come in pearls of his face and back because of it. For the occasion he put on a clean blouse, but that's it.
A labourised portrait?
I can do upside down chocolate moo things!

Offline bodie

• News Box Slave
  • Maniacal Postwhore
« Reply #42 on: February 18, 2014, 07:34:05 AM »
You guys should bring back Tony Blair. He was entertaining.

It is not very flattering.  The skin tones are a bit off.  It does have a 'working man after a couple of pints' feel about it.
blah blah blah

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #43 on: February 19, 2014, 12:02:34 AM »
Sickly skin tones, unhealthy teeth, a somewhat ill-willed facial expression...

Hmm. It's a keeper. :zoinks:
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline bodie

• News Box Slave
  • Maniacal Postwhore
« Reply #44 on: September 25, 2014, 11:34:33 AM »
armed
blah blah blah