Author Topic: I am a grumpy old man IRL  (Read 2931 times)

Offline 'andersom'

• Pure Chocolate Bovine PIMP of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • well known as hyke.
Re: I am a grumpy old man IRL
« Reply #75 on: May 09, 2014, 01:24:57 AM »
I hate it when they approach and ask if I need any help. I was in a bookshop the other day and basically browsing their offerings when someone did that. Do they honestly think that people only visit when looking for something in particular?
Look straight at them, and tell that you found what you are looking for, meeting them  :eyelash: :eyelash: :eyelash:
That should make them back off.
I can do upside down chocolate moo things!

Offline 'andersom'

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • well known as hyke.
« Reply #76 on: May 09, 2014, 01:30:22 AM »
It's more excusable when it's store personnel doing their job.

I find it amazing, what random people now and then decide to tell me. Weirdest stuff. As if I am a walking confession box. I think it is because I suck at chit-chat. My reaction is always wrong, when it comes to keeping it light and normal. It triggers people to tell lots of very personal details.

When not wanting to speak to anyone, I limit my shopping to the bakery only. He does not mind me coming in and saying: "No, don't want to talk". He can do the same to me.
 :asthing:

Offline Charlotte Quin

• Abbess from the Abyss
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #77 on: May 09, 2014, 05:42:30 AM »
I hate it when they approach and ask if I need any help. I was in a bookshop the other day and basically browsing their offerings when someone did that. Do they honestly think that people only visit when looking for something in particular?
Look straight at them, and tell that you found what you are looking for, meeting them  :eyelash: :eyelash: :eyelash:

They seem to ask me just as I'm walking out of the shop. I answer with "yes, help me exit" under my breath.

And there's never a shop assistant available when you actually need one. Especially in electronic stores.

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #78 on: May 10, 2014, 02:03:07 AM »

You haven't seen the clerk in question.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #79 on: May 10, 2014, 02:05:06 AM »

They seem to ask me just as I'm walking out of the shop. I answer with "yes, help me exit" under my breath.

:rofl:

And there's never a shop assistant available when you actually need one. Especially in electronic stores.

This is a double-edged sword. It is true that it is impossible to find them when you need them, but OTOH, they don't actually know anything.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #80 on: May 10, 2014, 02:05:42 AM »

I find it amazing, what random people now and then decide to tell me. Weirdest stuff. As if I am a walking confession box. I think it is because I suck at chit-chat. My reaction is always wrong, when it comes to keeping it light and normal. It triggers people to tell lots of very personal details.

When not wanting to speak to anyone, I limit my shopping to the bakery only. He does not mind me coming in and saying: "No, don't want to talk". He can do the same to me.

^Awesome

- Albert Einstein

Offline 'andersom'

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • well known as hyke.
« Reply #81 on: May 10, 2014, 02:49:25 AM »

Is he fancying you? In that case,  :eyelash: :eyelash: :eyelash: would be a dangerous thing to do indeed.

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #82 on: May 11, 2014, 01:33:32 AM »

Is he fancying you? In that case,  :eyelash: :eyelash: :eyelash: would be a dangerous thing to do indeed.

- Albert Einstein

Offline Icequeen

• News Box Slave
  • Insane Postwhore
  • I peopled today.
« Reply #83 on: May 12, 2014, 09:14:46 AM »

I'm glad to hear that happens to someone else as well. I feel like I should offer candy for confession or something.

"Here put this tic tac under your tongue, hum a led zeppelin tune and all will be forgiven."

I will go home and have nightmares now. :zombiefuck:

Offline 'andersom'

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • well known as hyke.
« Reply #84 on: May 12, 2014, 02:57:57 PM »

I'm glad to hear that happens to someone else as well. I feel like I should offer candy for confession or something.

"Here put this tic tac under your tongue, hum a led zeppelin tune and all will be forgiven."

I will go home and have nightmares now. :zombiefuck:
:lol1:

That's about it, indeed.

Not always, sometimes it is just sad, like someone in a totally freaked out situation asking me to walk a bit with her towards where she lived, because she did not dare to walk through one street alone. And before that telling all kinds of conspiracy theories towards her that just could not be true.
I did walk that street with her. Of course.

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Invincible Heisenweeble of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore Beyond Teh Stupid
  • You're goddamn right.
« Reply #85 on: February 14, 2016, 07:00:40 PM »

I was once greeted in a bookstore by an almost aggressively cheerful salesperson.
  I just wasn't up for that much attention.  I turned around and exited the store like a spaz.  :autism:
"I'm finding a lot of things funny lately, but I don't think they are."
--- Ripley, Alien Resurrection

"We are grateful for the time we have been given."
--- Edward Walker, The Village

People forget.
--- The Who, "Eminence Front"

Offline renaeden

• Complicated Case of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #86 on: February 14, 2016, 07:34:58 PM »
^I would have done the same!
Mildly Cute in a Retarded Way
Tek'ma'tae

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Invincible Heisenweeble of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore Beyond Teh Stupid
  • You're goddamn right.
« Reply #87 on: February 14, 2016, 07:36:31 PM »
^I would have done the same!

Yeah, sometimes I'm fine with that kind of friendliness, but that day I just wanted to browse invisibly.  :apondering:
"I'm finding a lot of things funny lately, but I don't think they are."
--- Ripley, Alien Resurrection

"We are grateful for the time we have been given."
--- Edward Walker, The Village

People forget.
--- The Who, "Eminence Front"

Offline Charlotte Quin

• Abbess from the Abyss
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #88 on: February 15, 2016, 08:04:17 AM »
Ohh, sales assistants have another trick now! When you say "I'm fine thanks" they pretend they didn't hear you! :GA:

I can't remember which shop it happened in today. Oh yes it was a dress shop, sells resort wear kinda.

Then it happened a little while ago at a junk jewellery shop:
Her: "Are you happy browsing today?"
Me: "Yes, I'm fine thanks"
(pretends not to hear)
Her: "Are. You. Happy, Browsing. Today???"
Me: "Bitch I'm outta here"

Offline 'andersom'

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • well known as hyke.
« Reply #89 on: February 15, 2016, 10:25:08 AM »
Ohh, sales assistants have another trick now! When you say "I'm fine thanks" they pretend they didn't hear you! :GA:

I can't remember which shop it happened in today. Oh yes it was a dress shop, sells resort wear kinda.

Then it happened a little while ago at a junk jewellery shop:
Her: "Are you happy browsing today?"
Me: "Yes, I'm fine thanks"
(pretends not to hear)
Her: "Are. You. Happy, Browsing. Today???"
Me: "Bitch I'm outta here"

You need carrying cards of the nearest hearing shop, to hand out when people pretend not to hear you. And give it to them with the biggest smile possible, saying, "I think this may be of great assistance to you, if you want to keep your job".