Educational

Author Topic: Did you know?  (Read 649 times)

Offline sg1008

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • This chicken is Insured.
Re: Did you know?
« Reply #30 on: November 04, 2013, 12:19:34 AM »
Can't you guys even just imagine it?

Forget practicality, or your experience....can you just....imagine?

It's there. It always was.

Offline El

• Unofficial Weird News Reporter of the Aspie Elite
  • News Box Slave
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #31 on: November 04, 2013, 07:29:05 PM »
For another exapmle for PMSElle, take population.

If people live healthier lives, they live longer. A longer lifespan is linked with a lower birthrate, and also a better standard of living AND education AND gender equality. When you're in school you're less likely to have babies, so the avg age of new parents increases. When this happens the interval between new generations of babies is increased and the population drops. ALso, when women have more rights and access to contraception and such things, she has more choice as to when to have kids. ALso educated couples tend to put their careers and standard of living higher on their priority list, and thus delay having kids, or have less kids. Also, a better standard of living makes it easier to to have access to doctors, and healthy foods, so people tend to live longer. As humans, in every population we see that when death rates decrease, birth rates also decrease to match. So longer living and health is linked to shriking populations.

In truth, the human population won't continuously grow. It is scheduled to plateau at about 10billion in 2050.  The reason we had the big boom was because of new discoveries in medicine and public health.

THEREFORE: if you're a doctor, a teacher, a gender equality activist, a contraception provider, a nutrition provider (farmer) and all the other possible related careers, that is all a priority for healthy population maintainence.
God, and (and I know you know this) even that description is simplified and misses a bunch of concurrent factors.

I get the gist of what you're saying, but I maintain that there are so many factors it is kind of overwhelming, how to practically live one's life in an "ethical" way.  I'm not convinced I'm able to fully do it.
it is well known that PMS Elle is evil.
I think you'd fit in a 12" or at least a 16" firework mortar
You win this thread because that's most unsettling to even think about.

Offline 'andersom'

• Pure Chocolate Bovine PIMP of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • well known as hyke.
« Reply #32 on: November 05, 2013, 12:51:28 AM »
No, I've seen it more. Looks like some people really like to feel somewhat guilty. Maybe they want to hear a "there, there, it isn't that bad"?
 :flyingbat:

Guilt trips do not work on me. If you want to include me, reason with me.

Guilt trips make me nauseous. I find it weird that some people get themselves into it, just because of the way I eat. FFS.
I can do upside down chocolate moo things!

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #33 on: November 06, 2013, 12:04:42 AM »
Guilt trips actually often cause me to do the opposite. The environmentalists have made me take the Jag out for a spin more than once.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline 'andersom'

• Pure Chocolate Bovine PIMP of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • well known as hyke.
« Reply #34 on: November 06, 2013, 12:29:07 AM »
I have that reaction when people "encourage" me to push me further.
I can do upside down chocolate moo things!

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #35 on: November 06, 2013, 11:33:44 AM »
Me too. I hate the preachy types.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

TheoK

« Reply #36 on: November 06, 2013, 11:37:52 AM »
Guilt trips actually often cause me to do the opposite. The environmentalists have made me take the Jag out for a spin more than once.

Haha, I do the same thing. If something is illegal without a reason or even if someone just moralizes over something, it often spurs me to do it just because of that.

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #37 on: November 06, 2013, 04:19:33 PM »

Haha, I do the same thing. If something is illegal without a reason or even if someone just moralizes over something, it often spurs me to do it just because of that.

Exactly. I hate it when people tell me what to do. A hint is enough to get me going.

I fucking *hate* being told what to do.

- Albert Einstein

TheoK

« Reply #38 on: November 06, 2013, 04:26:25 PM »
When I was 8 I had a school teacher who ranted about me "committing crimes" when shooting firecrackers at Easter! This was in the 1970's, when every 8 year old kid could buy firecrackers no matter the legality of them. Too bad the bitch is dead today, so she can't watch my 8" display shells  :orly:

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #39 on: November 06, 2013, 04:31:36 PM »
When I was 8 I had a school teacher who ranted about me "committing crimes" when shooting firecrackers at Easter! This was in the 1970's, when every 8 year old kid could buy firecrackers no matter the legality of them. Too bad the bitch is dead today, so she can't watch my 8" display shells  :orly:

That's the kind of comment that would cause me to buy firecrackers.

There's a kind of a holiday near the end of the summer house season in Finland where people buy firecrackers and rockets, eat and drink, and make a hell of a show. An end of the summer kind of thing. It's the last weekend in August and it's great fun. Unfortunately I haven't been to one in years but I loved that weekend when I was a kid. I did all kinds of things with rockets and firecrackers. ;D

- Albert Einstein

Offline sg1008

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #40 on: November 17, 2013, 01:18:54 PM »
For another exapmle for PMSElle, take population.

If people live healthier lives, they live longer. A longer lifespan is linked with a lower birthrate, and also a better standard of living AND education AND gender equality. When you're in school you're less likely to have babies, so the avg age of new parents increases. When this happens the interval between new generations of babies is increased and the population drops. ALso, when women have more rights and access to contraception and such things, she has more choice as to when to have kids. ALso educated couples tend to put their careers and standard of living higher on their priority list, and thus delay having kids, or have less kids. Also, a better standard of living makes it easier to to have access to doctors, and healthy foods, so people tend to live longer. As humans, in every population we see that when death rates decrease, birth rates also decrease to match. So longer living and health is linked to shriking populations.

In truth, the human population won't continuously grow. It is scheduled to plateau at about 10billion in 2050.  The reason we had the big boom was because of new discoveries in medicine and public health.

THEREFORE: if you're a doctor, a teacher, a gender equality activist, a contraception provider, a nutrition provider (farmer) and all the other possible related careers, that is all a priority for healthy population maintainence.
God, and (and I know you know this) even that description is simplified and misses a bunch of concurrent factors.

I get the gist of what you're saying, but I maintain that there are so many factors it is kind of overwhelming, how to practically live one's life in an "ethical" way.  I'm not convinced I'm able to fully do it.

PMSElle, I suggest you watch the documentary "I Am" by Tom Shadyack... it is very thought provoking.

^

Offline sg1008

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #41 on: November 17, 2013, 01:20:36 PM »

Exactly. I hate it when people tell me what to do. A hint is enough to get me going.

If I told you to jump off a bridge, would you climb up a castle?

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Invincible Heisenweeble of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore Beyond Teh Stupid
  • You're goddamn right.
« Reply #42 on: November 17, 2013, 01:31:24 PM »

I'm sure you can find many other bitches who would like to see your 8" display shells.  :eyebrows:
"I'm finding a lot of things funny lately, but I don't think they are."
--- Ripley, Alien Resurrection

"We are grateful for the time we have been given."
--- Edward Walker, The Village

People forget.
--- The Who, "Eminence Front"

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Elder
  • You're goddamn right.
« Reply #43 on: November 17, 2013, 01:32:41 PM »

If I told you to jump off a bridge, would you climb up a castle?

I might, especially if it were a medieval British castle!  :green:

People forget.

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Elder
  • You're goddamn right.
« Reply #44 on: November 17, 2013, 01:34:02 PM »

I don't care what anyone says, I'm not living off the grid and wiping my ass with my hand.  :M

People forget.