Educational

Author Topic: Did you know?  (Read 653 times)

Offline sg1008

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • This chicken is Insured.
Did you know?
« on: October 29, 2013, 09:34:19 PM »
That the world is heading for a global water crisis?
“Water scarcity already affects every continent. Around 1.2 billion people, or almost
one-fifth of the world’s population, live in areas of physical scarcity, and
500 million people are approaching this situation. Another 1.6 billion people, or almost
one quarter of the world’s population, face economic water shortage (where
countries lack the necessary infrastructure to take water from rivers and aquifers).” -UN.org

And we are already experiencing a biodiversity crisis?
Facts
-Coral reefs provide food, storm protection, jobs, recreation and other income sources for more than 500 million people worldwide yet 70% of coral reefs are threatened or destroyed.
-18,788 species out of 52,017 so far assessed are threatened with extinction.
-Of the world’s 5,490 mammals, 78 are Extinct or Extinct in the Wild, with 188 Critically Endangered, 540 Endangered and 492 Vulnerable.
-1,895 of the planet’s 6,285 amphibians are in danger of extinction, making them the most threatened group of species known to date.

And did you know that the earth is one big ecosystem?

ANd did you know that we have to take steps (no matter how small) to save the world?

:flyingbat:
Can't you guys even just imagine it?

Forget practicality, or your experience....can you just....imagine?

It's there. It always was.

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
Re: Did you know?
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2013, 11:30:04 PM »
That last part: do we really? Why save it?

I have a headache this morning, so I'm grumpy as hell. :P
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

TheoK

« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2013, 12:05:30 AM »
No, why save it?

Denn alles, was entsteht,
ist wert, daß es zugrunde geht!

Goethe - Faust  :M

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2013, 12:11:17 AM »
Maybe it's not worth saving?

And we can't really destroy it, just make it uninhabitable for us.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

TheoK

« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2013, 12:13:16 AM »
Don't worry. It will burn up in a few billion years, as the sun expands  :thumbup:

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2013, 12:13:53 AM »
:viking:

- Albert Einstein

Offline sg1008

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2013, 12:43:12 AM »
Lol...I mean save the world 'as we know it'. We might end up making it uninhabitable for us and die-off...that is incredibly likely...and then evolution will repopulate the earth in strange new ways.

but while we are here, perhaps we ought to try...at least for the sake of the children (cliche lol). personally i would rather die trying to help, than die from a nasty disease in bed watching news coverage of a tsunami that orphaned 100,000 children in a country ravaged by wars for control over water resources.... or something. :zombiefuck:

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2013, 12:10:48 AM »
Nah. Tsunamis can be entertaining. :P

- Albert Einstein

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2013, 12:16:02 AM »
Seriously, though, yes, we should probably take steps to save the planet, keep it inhabitable. It's just that the holier-than-thou attitude frequently displayed by the advocates bugs me and makes me want to upgrade from a V8 to a V12 for my daily ride and turn on every single electrical device in the household.

I don't like being told what to do. I have a problem with sermons.

- Albert Einstein

Offline 'andersom'

• Pure Chocolate Bovine PIMP of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • well known as hyke.
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2013, 12:21:42 AM »
^

Some people apparently like that kind of sermons and sense of guilt, it seems. A lot of people tell about feeling guilty, when they realise I don't eat meat, and don't have a car. They start sermoning themselves. I never understood that.
I can do upside down chocolate moo things!

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2013, 12:24:23 AM »
Their loss, ultimately. It's a communication failure. :dunno:

- Albert Einstein

Offline 'andersom'

• Pure Chocolate Bovine PIMP of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • well known as hyke.
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2013, 12:48:38 AM »
No, I've seen it more. Looks like some people really like to feel somewhat guilty. Maybe they want to hear a "there, there, it isn't that bad"?
 :flyingbat:
I can do upside down chocolate moo things!

Offline El

• Unofficial Weird News Reporter of the Aspie Elite
  • News Box Slave
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2013, 06:12:25 AM »
I'm not convinced it's even possible to be fully ethical in all things, across the board.  So, do you focus on the environment, on people, on animals, on technology, on job creation, on saving the rainforest, on advancing medical science, on cutting back on population growth, on avoiding problematic population shrinkage like what happened in Detriot, on poverty, on slavery, on the national debt or on economic growth, or just on doing for yourself and your family and getting through the bloody day?
it is well known that PMS Elle is evil.
I think you'd fit in a 12" or at least a 16" firework mortar
You win this thread because that's most unsettling to even think about.

Offline sg1008

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2013, 01:52:13 PM »
I'm not convinced it's even possible to be fully ethical in all things, across the board.  So, do you focus on the environment, on people, on animals, on technology, on job creation, on saving the rainforest, on advancing medical science, on cutting back on population growth, on avoiding problematic population shrinkage like what happened in Detriot, on poverty, on slavery, on the national debt or on economic growth, or just on doing for yourself and your family and getting through the bloody day?

EXCELLENT question PMSElle. :) I am sooooglad you mentioned this because amazingly enough- there is an answer.
Everything is connected. You literally have only to focus on your passion. The trick is coordinating these diff priorities, not choosing. Well i don't feel like typing everything up so I am going to copy and paste an example answer:

ECONOMIC SUSTAINABILITY

=The biggest benefit yielded from shale gas exploration is cited as economic stability.
From an economic development point of view this is really good news for the world.
However, from a sustainable development point of view (which integrates social, environment
AND economic considerations), shale gas extraction benefits must be weighed against concerns
 of environmental & social sustainability.

"Sustainable development is development that meets the needs of the present without
compromising the ability of future generations to meet their own needs."

-Defined by the Brundtland Report

The generally accepted model for planning for a sustainable future includes balancing three
pillars: social, environment, and economic.

• SOCIAL refers to the capacity of a community to nurture all of it's constituents
    (human rights, culture, peace, food, education)
  • ENVIRONMENT refers to the ability for ecosystems to thrive
    (biodiversity, climate stability, clean water & air)
  • ECONOMIC refers to the provisions of necessities & opportunities for living
    (employment, affordability, trade, resource accessibility).

LIMITATIONS
A sustainable economy must ALSO be equitable (yielding to social concerns).
If not, poverty, illiteracy, health disparities, and gender well-being gaps may grow, and this
 type of system is not sustainable for human development. It can lead to systemic inequalities
 based on gender-age-race-sexuality-religion, poor implementation of human rights, conflict
(war), urban crowding, and overpopulation.

Social concerns must equally yield to the economic by not overwhelming the market with social
 demands (overspending) and not stifling development with antiquated social norms (stereotypes,
 education and wage disparities).

A sustainable economy must ALSO be viable (yielding to environmental concerns).
If not, extinction, water/air/land pollution, soil corrosion, and over extraction of natural
resources can go unchecked. This is ultimately unsustainable and can lead to crop failures,
 water shortages, lack of natural defenses against flooding & drought, and spread of
disease.

The environment forms the basis of our economic survival. While science &
technology help us to draw from nature what we need, it is not realistic to expect
nature to "yield" to economic demands.

Sustainable social communities must ALSO be bearable (yielding to the environment & economy).
If not, over population and/or overconsumption can put too many pressures on both the economy
 and the environment. Viewed from another angle, the loss of environment can hurt social
communities by devastating cultures (loss of sacred spaces, changing traditional landscapes,
 loss of ceremonial elements and animals) as well as restricting traditional lifestyles (such
 as herding, sustenance fishing/hunting, wild food gathering, traditional medicine, etc).

Science & technology can change the way we interact with an ever
changing natural environment (calendars, art, weaponry, exploration).

TRUE ECONOMIC VALUE ASSESSMENT
No one facet of the three pillar model can take precedence over another, because
 they are all interrelated and must be addressed together. As mentioned, the recent
ability and profitability of shale gas extraction promises to bolster the world economy, and if
equitable also promises to build up communities. Whether or not communities stand to
benefit, or rather which communities stand to benefit, are major concerns when it
comes to policy implementation and the upholding of human rights. Finally, the environmental
risks, benefits, and/or neutrality are hotly contested and understudied....

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
SUSTAINABLE DEVELOPMENT
http://www.un-documents.net/wced-ocf.htm (Our Common Future)
http://www.iisd.org/sd/ (Sustainable Development)
http://sustainabledevelopment.un.org/ (UN)
http://uncsd.iisd.org/ (Rio+20)

ECONOMIC DEVELOPMENT
http://www.un.org/en/development/desa/index.html (UN Economic & Social Affairs)
http://data.worldbank.org/ (World Bank Data)

Offline sg1008

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2013, 01:56:43 PM »

@Odeon, I'd like to think of myself as more of an information dispersal expert rather than a preacher.  :M

I severely disapprove of guilt tripping, fear mongering, crap like that. Which is why I stopped hanging around activists when I was 14.