Educational

Author Topic: How many slaves work for you?  (Read 1099 times)

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
Re: How many slaves work for you?
« Reply #45 on: August 30, 2013, 05:32:58 AM »
I was just wondering where I can pick up a few of my slaves,  I have a lot to get done and am feeling rather lazy today :zoinks:
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

Offline Semicolon

• The Punctuated Equilibrium Of The Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
  • I am an echolalic mastodon.
« Reply #46 on: August 30, 2013, 05:52:07 AM »
I got 17, although as others have said, it's very unlikely to be accurate )whther I estimated too low or two high, or details about each thing)

I found it interesting though, and for the people complaining about it not being accurate etc - i'm sure it's mainly about raising awareness and getting you to THINK about what you buy/use. Not about being a technically correct analyisis

Then it should be called, 'How many slaves could possibly work for you?', raising awareness with technically incorrect analysis and all.

I really don't think the NUMBER of slaves was the point. I think the point is raise awareness about the prevelance of slavery int he production of items ppl use everyday or might take for granted. For those of you who actually finished the survey, you would have found a map of areas where slavery is prevalent, what items typically come from there. The point of the site was to personalize your link with slave labour used to manufacture, or extract materials, because we tend to feel removed from such things. Hence why they had the little chain-links showing how you connect to enslaved people.

And I didn't feel it was guilt tripping at all. I was genuinely interested in the prevalence of slaves and they provided good, easy to read information for further research.

:agreed:

Exactly. That was the point of it. Not so people could find out exactly what number of slaves they're benefiting from. That would be impossible, obviously.

All sites and campaigns need a catchy name. "How many slaves work for you?" is designed to get people to click on it

The questions are designed to get people to THINK ABOUT all the different products they use that might derive from forced labour etc

THe results aren't really what it's about

Many awareness-raisning campaigns use stuff like this. It's not unusual and it's not about giving you a precise number. I think it also made that clear throughout the test and at the end (it said plenty of times that they were working on assumptions, and gave you the option to make it more specific)

It's about getting the attention of people who wouldn't necessarily have clicked on a link and read through an article about it

I don't see what the fuss is all about (the fuss about it not being correct I mean, not the fuss about slavery lol)

If you want my attention, focus on the facts. It's one thing focussing on assumptions and another to lie. They have obviously put some effort into the site but it feels as if their main focus was on design, not to get their numbers right.
Unfortunately the same is true for many other awareness sites.

But it got your attention anyway.  Enough of it to be discussing it now.  :hahaha:

Nobody even posted in this thread until now. Ten days later. Just sayin'.  :M

I think something happened...Anal Fisting or something...

Anal fisting is not something that "just happens". Did you slip and fall onto a fist?

I was just wondering where I can pick up a few of my slaves,  I have a lot to get done and am feeling rather lazy today :zoinks:

:trollface:
I2 has a smiley for everything. Even a hamster wheel. :hamsterwheel:

Quote from: iamnotaparakeet
Jesus died on the cross to show us that BDSM is a legitimate form of love.
There is only one truth and it is that people do have penises of different sizes and one of them is the longest.

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #47 on: August 30, 2013, 02:02:24 PM »
I don't have slaves. The Chinese kids are doing a fine job. :P
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline Lestat

• Pharmaceutical dustbin of the autie elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Homo stercore veteris, heterodiem
« Reply #48 on: September 10, 2013, 06:53:04 PM »
The ones that didn't die from overwork or lack of work (that is, not working):P
Beyond the pale. Way, way beyond the pale.

Requiescat in pacem, Wolfish, beloved of Pyraxis.

Offline sg1008

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • This chicken is Insured.
« Reply #49 on: September 10, 2013, 07:23:01 PM »
The ones that didn't die from overwork or lack of work (that is, not working):P

Best answer thus far.  :2thumbsup:
Can't you guys even just imagine it?

Forget practicality, or your experience....can you just....imagine?

It's there. It always was.