Author Topic: What are your opinions on..  (Read 1867 times)

Offline Queen Victoria

• Ruler of Aspie Universe
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
Re: What are your opinions on..
« Reply #45 on: June 14, 2013, 10:04:54 PM »
Life after death?  What else can QV believe?
Mediums?  QV has supposedly consulted them to comminicate with PA.  (IRL nope, they're scam artists.)
Aliens?  Sure, most of them are undocumented.
A good monarch is a treasure. A good politician is an oxymoron.

My brain is both uninhibited and uninhabited.

:qv:

Offline 'andersom'

• Pure Chocolate Bovine PIMP of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • well known as hyke.
« Reply #46 on: June 15, 2013, 03:01:58 AM »
Life after death? Can't imagine my consciousness being gone, but, can't imagine it to live on without my functioning body either. It's beyond my imagination either way. And that is OK. What happens after death makes no difference for my life now. So, I'll focus on that. Do think people live on in their surroundings though. Not alone in active memory, also in tiny habits and such.

Mediums, leaving the verdict out on that. Have seen weird things, someone calling the name of people getting an accident. The poor kiddo was spot on all the time. And a neighbour turning white, telling her daughter that her dad had died. Indeed, that very moment her husband had a heart-attack and planted his car into a sturdy oak tree, miles away. A friend telling me that on holidays she needed to call home, because she was sure grandma had died. (unexpected death) And, she was right. That's not about talking with the dead though.

Aliens, very likely, somewhere in the giant space outside this globe. Could be they are no bigger than microbes, but, there probably is some life somewhere outside our planet.
I can do upside down chocolate moo things!

Offline Calavera

• The Intellectually Deficient of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #47 on: June 15, 2013, 04:20:22 AM »
death/life is an endless cycle

Energy cannot be created or destroyed. :)

But it can transform. And so what is you will go away and disappear for good once what is you deteriorates and becomes something else.

Offline Calavera

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #48 on: June 15, 2013, 04:33:58 AM »
Have seen weird things, someone calling the name of people getting an accident. The poor kiddo was spot on all the time.

How many times? And also are you sure he never missed? And are you sure he didn't know through natural means?

Confirmation biases need to be ruled out before one should suspect something supernatural/paranormal going on. People have this tendency to look for the positive hits but ignore the misses. It's because of this trait that stubborn conspiracy theorists, for example, exist.

And a neighbour turning white, telling her daughter that her dad had died. Indeed, that very moment her husband had a heart-attack and planted his car into a sturdy oak tree, miles away.

Setting the chronology confusion aside, maybe she knew beforehand he was going to die soon. Was the heart attack an unexpected one? Or was this a regular thing, and as soon as he touched the wheel, his wife figured he was going to die?

A friend telling me that on holidays she needed to call home, because she was sure grandma had died. (unexpected death) And, she was right. That's not about talking with the dead though.

A friend told you that. Was she accurate? Can we know she didn't subconsciously twist the story to make it sound like she had some form of power? Evidence shows that memories are reconstructive rather than snapshots of one's past, so by recalling what happened, she had to fill in lots of gaps especially for things not properly stored in the brain and so some inaccuracies might have arose.

Offline 'andersom'

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • well known as hyke.
« Reply #49 on: June 15, 2013, 05:42:34 AM »
Have seen weird things, someone calling the name of people getting an accident. The poor kiddo was spot on all the time.

How many times? And also are you sure he never missed? And are you sure he didn't know through natural means?
Not sure that he never missed, but, it's not about catching them all. :P Sure he did not know. He called names if he knew the people in the accident. Not if it happened to people not known to him.

Confirmation biases need to be ruled out before one should suspect something supernatural/paranormal going on. People have this tendency to look for the positive hits but ignore the misses. It's because of this trait that stubborn conspiracy theorists, for example, exist.

And a neighbour turning white, telling her daughter that her dad had died. Indeed, that very moment her husband had a heart-attack and planted his car into a sturdy oak tree, miles away.

Setting the chronology confusion aside, maybe she knew beforehand he was going to die soon. Was the heart attack an unexpected one? Or was this a regular thing, and as soon as he touched the wheel, his wife figured he was going to die?
Healthy man, in his late thirties. His death was absolutely not expected. Had it happened a few years later it might have been, but he was the first of his siblings to die young.

A friend telling me that on holidays she needed to call home, because she was sure grandma had died. (unexpected death) And, she was right. That's not about talking with the dead though.

A friend told you that. Was she accurate? Can we know she didn't subconsciously twist the story to make it sound like she had some form of power? Evidence shows that memories are reconstructive rather than snapshots of one's past, so by recalling what happened, she had to fill in lots of gaps especially for things not properly stored in the brain and so some inaccuracies might have arose.

This last source I am not too sure about. She loved telling the story too much.

But there are more things. And I have experienced some weird stuff myself. All had to do with the living, though. And why would there not be a way of communicating happening that we have not been able to grasp with our science? Bacteria lived before the microscope was invented too. Some of them were called evil powers. 

modified to fix quoting mess. Hope I've got it right now.  :P
« Last Edit: June 15, 2013, 06:24:33 AM by hykeaswell »

Offline Jack

• Reiterative Utterance of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • You don't know Jack.
« Reply #50 on: June 15, 2013, 06:46:56 AM »

But it can transform. And so what is you will go away and disappear for good once what is you deteriorates and becomes something else.

You say that as if you know what is me.

Offline Calavera

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #51 on: June 15, 2013, 07:27:40 AM »

You say that as if you know what is me.

You are the whole human body you take with you wherever you go. That's the "you" I'm referring to. When it disintegrates, it becomes something else that isn't you. And, as far as I know, once that happens, it isn't reversible.

To Hyke, weird shit happens to me as well, such as the convincing belief that I psychically trigger people to become severely ill. It fucks with my brain a lot, but it helps to understand it's most likely my brain being selective and playing undesired games with me.

Offline Jack

• Elder
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • You don't know Jack.
« Reply #52 on: June 15, 2013, 07:34:47 AM »
What does the human body have to do with life after death, mediums, or aliens?

Offline 'andersom'

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • well known as hyke.
« Reply #53 on: June 15, 2013, 07:38:53 AM »
What does the human body have to do with life after death, mediums, or aliens?

Life after death, is that life of you totally? Only spiritually or mentally? Can your mind and spirit exist without the body that is you? Is who you are formed by the way your body is too?

(Can only think of what a human body has to do with life after death, not what it has to do with aliens or mediums, though, if one can exist without the own body present, maybe aliens can visit us without their physical attendance.  :orly:  :autism: )

Offline Jack

• Elder
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • You don't know Jack.
« Reply #54 on: June 15, 2013, 11:05:04 AM »
Don't know the answer to any of those questions, maybe Calavera will know.

Offline Calavera

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #55 on: June 15, 2013, 11:26:04 AM »
I don't know more than anybody else here. It's just a matter of going with what can be perceived. If the evidence suggests something as simple as monism (rather than the more complex idea of dualism), then it would be more reasonable to assume the simpler explanation that fits the evidence.

We don't have evidence for spirits and souls existing, but we have heaps of evidence for the body decaying and progressive evidence that all thoughts we have (conscious and unconscious) are attributed to neural activities going on in our brains. So what's the point of dualism if monism explains things perfectly?

Offline Jack

• Elder
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • You don't know Jack.
« Reply #56 on: June 15, 2013, 04:11:32 PM »
That's a very good answer, Calavera. Maybe the point of dualism makes more sense to those who don't experience that complete connection between body and mind.

Offline McGiver

• Hetero sexist tragedy
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Postwhore Beyond The Pale
  • Do me.
« Reply #57 on: June 15, 2013, 09:47:18 PM »
That's a very good answer, Calavera. Maybe the point of dualism makes more sense to those who don't experience that complete connection between body and mind.
are you a college professor?
Misunderstood.

Offline Jack

• Elder
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • You don't know Jack.
« Reply #58 on: June 16, 2013, 05:40:16 AM »
No.

Offline Gopher Gary

• sockpuppet alert!
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • I'm not wearing pants.
« Reply #59 on: June 16, 2013, 06:17:32 AM »
are you a college professor?

She's only being nice to him, lest he trigger her ill with his mind.
:gopher: