Author Topic: Companies cannot patent human genes  (Read 174 times)

Offline skyblue1

• Overlooked of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
Companies cannot patent human genes
« on: June 13, 2013, 06:51:26 PM »
companies cannot patent human genes

In the most high profile of the decisions it handed down today, the U.S. Supreme Court unanimously ruled that companies cannot patent human genes. The case involved Myriad Genetics, a Utah-based company that had isolated and patented two genes linked to breast cancer.

According to some estimates, up to 20 percent of the human genome has now been patented -- though that figure is disputed -- and opponents of such patents, like the U.S. Association for Molecular Pathology argue that such patents slow down the pace of scientific research. "In the case of the BRCA genes, Myriad's lab is the only place in the country that performs full sequencing of the genes for diagnostic purposes," they wrote, joining the ACLU and the Public Patent Foundation in the suit that led to today's decision. 

In majority ruling, Justice Clarence Thomas writes, "A naturally occurring DNA segment is a product of nature and not patent eligible merely because it has been isolated..." The court also ruled that synthetically created cDNA, which does not occur in nature, can still be patented.

The unanimous decision indicates a wide bipartisan consensus on this issue, which makes sense as it combines the sanctity of life concerns of conservatives and liberals' concerns over corporate overreach. But the issue has been handled somewhat differently in other countries' legal systems. 

In fact, Australia's Federal Court ruled in favor of Myriad in February after a very similar suit was brought by a cancer foundation there. In that case, the justices ruled that "the two genes, isolated from their natural cells in which they were found, constituted a "manner of manufacture" and could therefore be patented." That decision is currently being appealed and the government is considering legislation to limit genetic patents. 

In Europe, the patentability of genetic materially is legally protected by the EU's Biotech Directive, which holds that "biological material which is isolated from its natural environment or produced by means of a technical process" may be patentable "even if it previously occurred in nature." As Genetic Engineering & Biotechnology News explains, legal challenges to the directive have not met with much luck:

The Biotech Directive was first proposed in 1988. In the face of extensive opposition from a number of groups, the European Parliament took 10 years to pass the bill. The legality of the Biotech Directive was then challenged by the Dutch government.

This resulted in the European Court of Justice (ECJ; the highest court in Europe) ruling, in 2001, that the patenting of genetic material isolated from the human body does not contravene any principles of human dignity. Given this and the difficulties that were faced in passing the Biotech Directive, it is doubtful that European legislature would have the desire to revisit the issue.

The distinction provides an interesting parallel to the issue of internet privacy. As my colleague Alicia Wittmeyer recently wrote, in terms of legal norms and public attitudes, Europeans have traditionally been more accepting of government intrusions on personal privacy than Americans, but less accepting of corporate intrustions. But in the case of biological material, European firms may now have a lot more leeway than their American counterparts

http://ideas.foreignpolicy.com/posts/201...ne_patents

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Offline Jesse

• My mirror shows black (Otherwise known as nigger)
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • where mountains throne
Re: Companies cannot patent human genes
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2013, 06:57:03 PM »
Well. good, companies don't make genes anyways, I can see why they ruled the way they did.
Companies are only concerned with profit. If they have a patent on say, a miracle drug for a specific gene someone is carrying, don't you think that is wrong to make money off of? I understand free markets, and all that jazz and while I think its great what they do, making money off of someone else's misery doesn't seem so hot to me.

:skywarp:

Offline TA

• Rage Filled Brain of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore
  • Face my Squirrely Wrath!
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2013, 07:22:03 PM »
The money is always right.

I'm sure they will find another way to make money off of human genes.
The stupidity of humanity FILLS ME WITH RAGE!

P7PSP

« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2013, 07:46:35 PM »
I agree that human genes should not be patented.

I cannot think of any reason that drug companies should not make money off of studies linked to human biological processes. I have worked building new facilities for both Genentech and Alza Corporation in Vacaville California. Research, getting permits to build, getting FDA approval to produce new drugs, getting inspected and okayed by local, state and federal entities and the DEA is not cheap. I did not work for free when I was installing conduit, pulling wire and making terminations in cabinets. Do you donate your work? Or do you get paid for working? I certainly do.

Offline McGiver

• Hetero sexist tragedy
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Postwhore Beyond The Pale
  • Do me.
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2013, 08:02:57 PM »
How does levi strauss get away with it.
Misunderstood.

Offline Jack

• Reiterative Utterance of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • You don't know Jack.
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2013, 08:10:05 PM »
the U.S. Supreme Court unanimously ruled that companies cannot patent human genes.

Good.

Offline skyblue1

• Overlooked of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2013, 08:21:49 PM »
Wrangler Western Wear is First to Offer Patent-Pending Technology in New Jean
http://www.fwv-us.com/blog/wrangler-western-wear-is-first-to-offer-patent-pending-technology-in-new-jean

Offline Jesse

• My mirror shows black (Otherwise known as nigger)
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • where mountains throne
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2013, 08:25:50 PM »
I cannot think of any reason that drug companies should not make money off of studies linked to human biological processes.
Very true. I don't see any problem with a drug company making medicine to sell to the public for a medical condition. that's quite alright with me
:skywarp:

Offline ProfessorFarnsworth

• Mad scientist at work
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Good news everyone!
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2013, 09:11:37 PM »
I'm quite happy to hear this ruling. Some good news for a change.
Existence actually has two broad meanings despite its apparent meaningless. The constant reconciliation of all its parts, and the conservation of any closed system as a whole.

Morality can be extrapolated from these meanings to make these two commandments of godless morality: 1). Be in harmony with one another and 2). Care for the environment.

Offline McGiver

• Hetero sexist tragedy
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Postwhore Beyond The Pale
  • Do me.
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2013, 12:22:55 PM »
You can't copyright nature.
Synthetic genes, on the other hand, is free game.
Pending approval by he appropriate bureaucracy.
Misunderstood.

Offline TA

• Rage Filled Brain of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore
  • Face my Squirrely Wrath!
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2013, 10:53:10 PM »
I agree that human genes should not be patented.

I cannot think of any reason that drug companies should not make money off of studies linked to human biological processes. I have worked building new facilities for both Genentech and Alza Corporation in Vacaville California. Research, getting permits to build, getting FDA approval to produce new drugs, getting inspected and okayed by local, state and federal entities and the DEA is not cheap. I did not work for free when I was installing conduit, pulling wire and making terminations in cabinets. Do you donate your work? Or do you get paid for working? I certainly do.

Of course they should make money, they just need to find a different, less litigious, way of doing so.
The stupidity of humanity FILLS ME WITH RAGE!