Author Topic: When encountering others  (Read 380 times)

Offline Al Swearegen

• Pussycat of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Always front on and in your face
Re: When encountering others
« Reply #15 on: May 31, 2013, 08:17:55 AM »
I really appreciate you posting this and opening up this conversation Richard.
I do have real problems making eye contact. Ask me what colour Cassanova Frankenstein's eye colour is and I have no fucking idea. I could tell you he was about an inch taller than me and roughly shame shape and what we talked about and his accent and such. But yeah no bloody idea with eye colour.
I think a big think is to be able to listen. Ask questions to people about them and their interests. I became very good listener and rememberer of details. People love that. I also find that being genuine and honest with people is good. People will be ok with you making mistakes if you are honest with them but you be sneaky and deceptive then even accidentally fucking up will hurt them more.
Keeping yourself to yourself. making them think that you are an open book without telling them anything...that is probably my best trick. most of my workmates really know nothing on me. Very few people have a clear idea of who i am and few would be qualified to do a eulogy on me. :P

That all said I do really worry to what I can teach my boy, who is fast (too fast) becoming a young man, how to be social. This thread will help as i simply do not have answers and can not leave the social thing to his Mum.
I2 today is not i2 of yesteryear. It is a knitting circle. Those that participate be they nice or asshats know their place and the price to be there. Odeon is the overlord

.Benevolent if you toe the line.

Think it is I2 of old? Even Odeon is not so delusional as to think otherwise. He may on occasionally pretend otherwise but his base is that knitting circle.

Censoring/banning/restricting/moderating myself, Calanadale & Scrapheap were all not his finest moments.

How to apologise to Scrap

Offline sg1008

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • This chicken is Insured.
« Reply #16 on: May 31, 2013, 09:39:02 AM »
I think a big think is to be able to listen. Ask questions to people about them and their interests. I became very good listener and rememberer of details. People love that. I also find that being genuine and honest with people is good. People will be ok with you making mistakes if you are honest with them but you be sneaky and deceptive then even accidentally fucking up will hurt them more.

Me too. Being able to remember details also tends to impresse girls (and added plus).

But I slightly disagree with the 'keep yourself to yourself'. I did that a lot, and on the surface my social interactions went along quite well...except that I shifted from crowd to crowd with "too much" ease (I felt guilty about getting close, and then abandoning groups). I realized one day that I tend to get in a position where I know a shitton more about the company I keep than anyone knows about my real interests, and things important to me.

That sucks because if I ever want to have a frank conversation I don't know how...

So on the one hand, if you can get real good at mirroring other people then the social interactions go well, but on the other hand if you don't learn how to initiate an honest exchange about yourself, you may end up feeling constantly out of place and unsure of your footing in any 'relationship' (by relationship I am talking about friends, acquaintances, etc).

That's pretty much where I am at...trying to be more open and honest...without being "too honest". I have not struck the balance yet.

Just to clarify...my social interactions tended to be: I could listen and remember many things, so I could always ask the other person about things, and I like finding things (news stories, facts, etc) that I feel would interest them. I tend to learn about their interests on the side because I am curious, and then come back to them and make some comments about it in conversation. I also, during conversation, tend to do the sheldon factoid thingy, where I will say random things. This actually seemed to amuse people.

BUT, I can go a whole year knowing a person on a biweekly basis having nothing but those sorts of interactions...after a year suddenly they call me a good friend, and suddenly I realize they have no idea about me. When I started feeling lonely because of this, I decided I needed to foster better friendships...well fuck me because I was like a cat in water- skimpering and skampering all around, quickly noticing that things I experienced emotionally were not at all like things people expected or understood, and vice versa. (this was pre-aspie diagnosis). Naturally, those new types of relationships were stressful and disastrous. So then, thinking I would never 'figure it out', I just got depressed.

Well, after all that, I am now in the position where I am more optimistic, and much more careful about interactions...but as stated...I have not struck the balance and I have big issues with self-confidence.

I typed more than I thought I would...hopefully it is constructive.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2013, 09:59:27 AM by sg1008 »
Can't you guys even just imagine it?

Forget practicality, or your experience....can you just....imagine?

It's there. It always was.

Offline Jesse

• My mirror shows black (Otherwise known as nigger)
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • where mountains throne
« Reply #17 on: May 31, 2013, 12:41:38 PM »
I avoid eye contact, but tend to smile a lot. Annoyingly, it seems to make strangers think that I'm the type of person who enjoys talking to them :-[
me too. I think people just want to talk, period. so this gives them a perfect opportunity to
:skywarp:

Offline bodie

• Reflective Katoptronaphiliac of the Aspie Elite
  • News Box Slave
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • busy re arranging deck chairs on board the Titanic
« Reply #18 on: May 31, 2013, 06:30:24 PM »
I don't like busy places.  I avoid chit chat with strangers.  I am very hard work if someone is trying to get to know me.  I like to analyse the other person to suss them out before i reveal to too much.   Once i decide the other person is ok then i don't stfu.
Have heard 'you are nothing like i thought' more than once.

If i think anyone is staring at me then i fiddle with my phone, pretending to text someone, or i hide behind my hair.  :zoinks:
blah blah blah

Offline Jack

• Reiterative Utterance of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • You don't know Jack.
« Reply #19 on: May 31, 2013, 07:08:32 PM »
Your post count is awesome right now.

Offline McGiver

• Hetero sexist tragedy
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Postwhore Beyond The Pale
  • Do me.
« Reply #20 on: May 31, 2013, 07:10:46 PM »
yours will be when it's at 1357
Misunderstood.

Offline Jack

• Elder
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • You don't know Jack.
« Reply #21 on: May 31, 2013, 07:12:27 PM »
Why?

P7PSP

« Reply #22 on: May 31, 2013, 07:12:59 PM »
yours will be when it's at 1357
Do you mean 1337?

Offline McGiver

• Hetero sexist tragedy
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Do me.
« Reply #23 on: May 31, 2013, 07:13:53 PM »
Why?
because odd consecutive numbers.
Misunderstood.

Offline Jack

• Elder
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • You don't know Jack.
« Reply #24 on: May 31, 2013, 07:15:34 PM »
Ah. Got it.

Offline McGiver

• Hetero sexist tragedy
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Do me.
« Reply #25 on: May 31, 2013, 07:21:03 PM »
Misunderstood.

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #26 on: May 31, 2013, 07:40:36 PM »
I smile but apparently not enough by the looks I get at times:-\  I like to bring the dog with me when I am out walking, people with dogs tend to get a lot of slack
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

P7PSP

« Reply #27 on: May 31, 2013, 07:45:10 PM »
I smile but apparently not enough by the looks I get at times:-\  I like to bring the dog with me when I am out walking, people with dogs tend to get a lot of slack
Were you wearing your Stahlhelm and carrying your sword?

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Invincible Heisenweeble of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore Beyond Teh Stupid
  • You're goddamn right.
« Reply #28 on: May 31, 2013, 08:04:22 PM »
  I don't always bother with eye contact, but I do enough of it to notice eye color.  8)
"I'm finding a lot of things funny lately, but I don't think they are."
--- Ripley, Alien Resurrection

"We are grateful for the time we have been given."
--- Edward Walker, The Village

People forget.
--- The Who, "Eminence Front"

Offline Jesse

• My mirror shows black (Otherwise known as nigger)
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • where mountains throne
« Reply #29 on: May 31, 2013, 08:40:40 PM »
*creams pants*
:skywarp: