Educational

Author Topic: Cyber-heist  (Read 242 times)

Offline skyblue1

• Overlooked of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
Cyber-heist
« on: May 09, 2013, 04:45:57 PM »
Cyber-heist

Individuals employed around the world by a sophisticated cyber crime ring stole $45 million from thousands of bank automated teller machines within a matter of hours, using hacked debit-card data, U.S. prosecutors said on Thursday.

Members of the global criminal organization hacked into two credit card processors and used stolen data to make more than 40,500 withdrawals in 27 countries, during two separate coordinated incidents in December 2012 and February 2013, the Justice Department said.

The government charged eight individuals in New York with participating in the larger scheme by withdrawing $2.8 million in thousands of ATM transactions, in what U.S. Attorney Loretta Lynch said was the second-biggest bank robbery in the history of New York City.

Lynch said it was likely that the headquarters of the global scheme was located outside the United States and that the current charges focused only on the New York-based cell. Investigators were examining whether other cells were operating elsewhere in the United States, she said.

"In the place of guns and masks, this cyber crime organization used laptops and the Internet. Moving as swiftly as data over the Internet, the organization worked its way from the computer systems of international corporations to the streets of New York City, with the defendants fanning out across Manhattan to steal millions of dollars from hundreds of ATMs in a matter of hours," said Lynch, whose office in Brooklyn, New York, brought the case.

DOMINO'S GUY KEY PLAYER IN BANK-FRAUD SCHEME: FEDS

The case demonstrates the major threat that cyber crime poses to banks around the world. Security experts frequently identify electronic fraud as one of the key challenges facing banks today.

"Hackers only need to find one vulnerability to cause millions of dollars of damage," said Mark Rasch, a former federal cyber crimes prosecutor, based in Bethesda, Maryland.

In the December attack, hackers gained access to an Indian credit card processor that handled prepaid Mastercard Inc debit cards for National Bank of Ras Al Khaimah PSC, or RAKBANK, according to a criminal indictment.

In February, the hackers broke into the system of a U.S.-based credit card processor to steal account numbers for prepaid Mastercard debit cards issued by Bank of Muscat, the indictment said.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Offline Jack

• Reiterative Utterance of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • You don't know Jack.
Re: Cyber-heist
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2013, 05:14:15 PM »
Devious geeks; got to love them, in a hate myself for loving them kind of way.

Offline skyblue1

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2013, 05:27:59 PM »
I'm mostly surprised that an attack like this hasn't already happened before considering how insecure a lot of places with card data stored are.

Offline Jack

• Elder
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • You don't know Jack.
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2013, 05:31:32 PM »
It probably happens a lot, just not such a large scale.

Offline skyblue1

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2013, 05:48:59 PM »
It does, if you know where to look it costs $10 per stolen card on the black market. Sadly there's not a lot you can do other than rely on consumer protection rules with credit cards and report a compromised card as fast as possible.

Online Gopher Gary

• sockpuppet alert!
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • I'm not wearing pants.
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2013, 06:58:47 AM »
Once I used my cock to enter my pin on a cash machine.
:gopher:

Offline BadgerTom

• DEPRAVED ASSHAT
  • Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
  • NSFW - Not Safe for Woke
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2013, 07:17:05 AM »
I bet the tiny keys loved it Gary!

Online Gopher Gary

• sockpuppet alert!
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • I'm not wearing pants.
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2013, 03:41:45 PM »
I bet the tiny keys loved it Gary!

You're a right cheeky cunt!

Offline BadgerTom

• DEPRAVED ASSHAT
  • Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
  • NSFW - Not Safe for Woke
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2013, 04:20:51 PM »
What can i say, i'm blessed!

I also prefer the cunt, matured and saturated!

Offline skyblue1

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2013, 04:53:13 PM »
I once used my cock for that too

He kept pecking the wrong keys, so I threw him away

Online Gopher Gary

• sockpuppet alert!
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • I'm not wearing pants.
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2013, 02:50:19 AM »
I once used my cock for that too

He kept pecking the wrong keys, so I threw him away

I don't do animals mate. Sorry.

Offline McGiver

• Hetero sexist tragedy
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Postwhore Beyond The Pale
  • Do me.
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2013, 07:29:47 AM »
Cyber-heist

Individuals employed around the world by a sophisticated cyber crime ring stole $45 million from thousands of bank automated teller machines within a matter of hours, using hacked debit-card data, U.S. prosecutors said on Thursday.

Members of the global criminal organization hacked into two credit card processors and used stolen data to make more than 40,500 withdrawals in 27 countries, during two separate coordinated incidents in December 2012 and February 2013, the Justice Department said.

The government charged eight individuals in New York with participating in the larger scheme by withdrawing $2.8 million in thousands of ATM transactions, in what U.S. Attorney Loretta Lynch said was the second-biggest bank robbery in the history of New York City.

Lynch said it was likely that the headquarters of the global scheme was located outside the United States and that the current charges focused only on the New York-based cell. Investigators were examining whether other cells were operating elsewhere in the United States, she said.

"In the place of guns and masks, this cyber crime organization used laptops and the Internet. Moving as swiftly as data over the Internet, the organization worked its way from the computer systems of international corporations to the streets of New York City, with the defendants fanning out across Manhattan to steal millions of dollars from hundreds of ATMs in a matter of hours," said Lynch, whose office in Brooklyn, New York, brought the case.

DOMINO'S GUY KEY PLAYER IN BANK-FRAUD SCHEME: FEDS

The case demonstrates the major threat that cyber crime poses to banks around the world. Security experts frequently identify electronic fraud as one of the key challenges facing banks today.

"Hackers only need to find one vulnerability to cause millions of dollars of damage," said Mark Rasch, a former federal cyber crimes prosecutor, based in Bethesda, Maryland.

In the December attack, hackers gained access to an Indian credit card processor that handled prepaid Mastercard Inc debit cards for National Bank of Ras Al Khaimah PSC, or RAKBANK, according to a criminal indictment.

In February, the hackers broke into the system of a U.S.-based credit card processor to steal account numbers for prepaid Mastercard debit cards issued by Bank of Muscat, the indictment said.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
who took the losses?
The banks or regular people?
Misunderstood.

Offline Jack

• Elder
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • You don't know Jack.
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2013, 07:05:58 PM »
Have you ever taken the loss for a fraudulent transaction on your account?

Offline Jack

• Elder
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • You don't know Jack.
« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2013, 07:07:39 PM »
Things like this will eventually cause the elimination of cash tender.

Offline Jack

• Elder
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • You don't know Jack.
« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2013, 07:10:38 PM »
...mmm...or at least the elimination of turning electronic tender into cash tender outside of actual bank transactions. That's the problem, data to cash is too easy.