Educational

Author Topic: Nasty Streak  (Read 557 times)

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
Nasty Streak
« on: May 06, 2013, 11:09:45 PM »
Do you have a nasty streak? I mean genuinely? Is there something you do that is just, well, nasty?

And if so, when does it happen? Do you control it? How is it triggered? And do opinions vary, in that what you do not consider to be particularly evil, others invariably do? Or the other way around?

I started thinking about this after my last few rounds of, um, friendly exchange with Scrap. It's not secret that we don't particularly like each other and so there are comments thrown across the pond, some of which can be considered to be quite nasty.

Now, my line has always been about people including loved ones in such exchanges. Nasty, unwarranted comments about the people I love. That is when I react without holding back. And, it would seem, the (to me) childish joy over my predicted death. I've been known to respond in a rather nasty manner.

How about you?
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline bodie

• Reflective Katoptronaphiliac of the Aspie Elite
  • News Box Slave
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • busy re arranging deck chairs on board the Titanic
Re: Nasty Streak
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2013, 11:17:19 PM »
Well,  Thatcher made me nasty.  hehehe get that,  'she made me'!!   

I am 'all wind and piss'  and i might get really mad for 5 mins,  but then if i don't see that person just at that time
it is usually gone when i do.   It makes me quite cross as i miss out on carrying out some real ingenious acts of
revenge.... ahhhh never mind  :yawn:

Life is too short to be all pissy.
blah blah blah

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Invincible Heisenweeble of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore Beyond Teh Stupid
  • You're goddamn right.
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2013, 11:24:06 PM »
  I can be gossipy and bitchy as far as venting at work about people who piss me off, though there are a few work friends
   I will never bitch or gossip about.  I can be catty and petty and judgmental.  I don't attack people but I suppose if they
   overheard my bitching it would hurt them.  I don't purposely hurt people, I just have a nasty attitude sometimes.  :apondering:
"I'm finding a lot of things funny lately, but I don't think they are."
--- Ripley, Alien Resurrection

"We are grateful for the time we have been given."
--- Edward Walker, The Village

People forget.
--- The Who, "Eminence Front"

Offline Pyraxis

• Werewolf Wrangler of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • aka Daria
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2013, 07:10:55 AM »
I don't have a nasty streak. I hate being mean. Being angry is different, but I don't set out to cause pain for the sake of it.
You'll never self-actualize the subconscious canopy of stardust with that attitude.

Offline McGiver

• Hetero sexist tragedy
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Postwhore Beyond The Pale
  • Do me.
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2013, 07:22:05 AM »
I get moody at times.
But, I wouldn't consider myself nasty.

I am fully aware that some people may consider me nasty.  Although I like to challenge people because. Want to get the most out of them.  I want to learn something new.  And I am under the impression that you can't get people to be truly honest until they lose their comfort.

I may take the piss.  But I won't hold a grudge.
Misunderstood.

Offline Icequeen

• News Box Slave
  • Insane Postwhore
  • I peopled today.
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2013, 08:00:03 AM »
I can be nasty, takes a lot to get me to that point, but when forced into a proverbial corner...things can change quickly.

I have been known to psychologically fuck with people on occasion also, not without cause though.

I'd like to say I'd never hold a grudge, and maybe I don't because I can forgive just about anything...I just can never forget.

Offline McGiver

• Hetero sexist tragedy
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Postwhore Beyond The Pale
  • Do me.
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2013, 08:57:18 AM »

I started thinking about this after my last few rounds of, um, friendly exchange with Scrap. It's not secret that we don't particularly like each other and so there are comments thrown across the pond, some of which can be considered to be quite nasty.

First, great post and subject matter.  I am curious to know, both how people see themselves, and each other.  Should be a great discussion.

Second, everybody has done what you stated above.  If attacked, a person will respond in kind.  It's understandable. They don't really add to the discussion. I suspect it only makes the author feel better.

Third, SKYBLUE, I love you!  :angel:
Misunderstood.

Offline Queen Victoria

• Ruler of Aspie Universe
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2013, 12:00:18 PM »
Even in my younger years I was never one to do much retaliation (payback pranks, lying, etc.) because I was just plain chicken.  I would either cry or just sulk.

Over the years I have "mellowed".  Now for the most part I either speak up in a (hopefully) nonjudgmental/confrontational way or let the matter pass.  For the most part it's just not worth it.  Getting back at someone doesn't correct the wrong done to me.  I've got enough amends to make without adding to them.  However, on more than one occasion I have had some wonderful mental imagery that would have gotten me in trouble if I had acted on it.

As an aside the hardest nasty streak I'm overcoming is gossip.  I've decided to define gossip as telling something to make myself feel important or make the person spoken about look bad.  It's hard to extend this courtesy to celebrities, but even they are fellow human beings and have feelings.  If I want to share that someone I know is going through a hard time I will ask a friend or two to pray for "someone I know who is going through a hard time" without any details.  G_d is smart enough to know who we're praying for.
A good monarch is a treasure. A good politician is an oxymoron.

My brain is both uninhibited and uninhabited.

:qv:

Offline Al Swearegen

• Pussycat of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Always front on and in your face
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2013, 12:03:57 PM »
Yes I have but it is not a default setting. I expect and try for fair. I am a pretty easy going bloke in real life. Push comes to shove I can be nasty though
I2 today is not i2 of yesteryear. It is a knitting circle. Those that participate be they nice or asshats know their place and the price to be there. Odeon is the overlord

.Benevolent if you toe the line.

Think it is I2 of old? Even Odeon is not so delusional as to think otherwise. He may on occasionally pretend otherwise but his base is that knitting circle.

Censoring/banning/restricting/moderating myself, Calanadale & Scrapheap were all not his finest moments.

How to apologise to Scrap

Offline Jack

• Reiterative Utterance of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • You don't know Jack.
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2013, 05:00:22 PM »
Yes, have a nasty streak; her name is bitch; she doesn't get out much. Fairly content.

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2013, 06:22:24 PM »
Yes I have one and it can be very bad sometimes.  I do my best to avoid getting to that point though and I give plenty of warnings so the person knows it's coming and that they could have avoided it.  It's mostly reserved for people who knowingly  piss me off and continued to do so after I try and settle the issue.  I have been known to hold grudges for a long time but in general if I don't like someone I just avoid them which most of the time is easy enough
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

P7PSP

« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2013, 08:32:12 PM »
Yes I do. It generally stays under wraps nowadays.

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2013, 11:03:01 PM »

First, great post and subject matter.  I am curious to know, both how people see themselves, and each other.  Should be a great discussion.

Second, everybody has done what you stated above.  If attacked, a person will respond in kind.  It's understandable. They don't really add to the discussion. I suspect it only makes the author feel better.

Third, SKYBLUE, I love you!  :angel:.

:laugh:

When I was a kid of thirteen or so, I knew a kid a year or so younger. He lived just across the street and we sometimes did stuff together.

Something about him - and I still don't know what - set me off and I played mind games with him. Tested things, psychological stuff, to see what would happen, and logged the results in the back of my head to be used in further experiments. Sort of what House sometimes does to his poor team. Some of it was quite nasty, I suppose, but it took me months to realise it was, at which point I stopped.

I haven't thought about him in years, pretty much, until now. We moved when I was fifteen and I haven't seen him since.

I can still do the mind games but I know of my nasty streak and tend to avoid it. With some exceptions. I can sometimes do it with people I consider to be morons. Not for any particular reason, really, other than that.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Invincible Heisenweeble of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore Beyond Teh Stupid
  • You're goddamn right.
« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2013, 11:17:14 PM »
  ^ That post sounded very much like House.  I can almost hear him saying  "moron."  :orly:
"I'm finding a lot of things funny lately, but I don't think they are."
--- Ripley, Alien Resurrection

"We are grateful for the time we have been given."
--- Edward Walker, The Village

People forget.
--- The Who, "Eminence Front"

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2013, 11:21:13 PM »
I suppose it's one of the reasons why I liked the show right from the start. I saw similarities. The mind games are one. The tendency to acid comments another.

But I'm no medical genius. :P

- Albert Einstein