Educational

Author Topic: The first step, I suggest, is to question authority.  (Read 1201 times)

Offline McGiver

• Hetero sexist tragedy
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Postwhore Beyond The Pale
  • Do me.
Re: The first step, I suggest, is to question authority.
« Reply #45 on: April 11, 2013, 08:13:16 PM »
I always joke with my wife that I think our children can pick their own religion, political party and sexual preference, but they must be LA Dodger fans.
Lol

:thumbdn:

ANAHEIM ANGELS!!!
gfy, scrap. Smd!
Misunderstood.

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #46 on: April 11, 2013, 11:01:26 PM »
When i quit my short army career, the sarge said i had a natural adversity to authority. 8)

It's been said about me as well. Not in the army, though.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline 'andersom'

• Pure Chocolate Bovine PIMP of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • well known as hyke.
« Reply #47 on: April 11, 2013, 11:19:19 PM »
When i quit my short army career, the sarge said i had a natural adversity to authority. 8)
Bend over!  :squiddy:
I can do upside down chocolate moo things!

Offline Al Swearegen

• Pussycat of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Always front on and in your face
« Reply #48 on: April 12, 2013, 02:08:05 AM »

Me too. Probably why I am not married now
I2 today is not i2 of yesteryear. It is a knitting circle. Those that participate be they nice or asshats know their place and the price to be there. Odeon is the overlord

.Benevolent if you toe the line.

Think it is I2 of old? Even Odeon is not so delusional as to think otherwise. He may on occasionally pretend otherwise but his base is that knitting circle.

Censoring/banning/restricting/moderating myself, Calanadale & Scrapheap were all not his finest moments.

How to apologise to Scrap

Offline El

• Unofficial Weird News Reporter of the Aspie Elite
  • News Box Slave
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #49 on: April 12, 2013, 05:54:59 AM »
Authority must be held to a higher standard. Authority has some control over your life and can there fore unilaterally change your trajectory by the decisions they make.

I try to teach my kids that rebellion is fine.  But use it wisely.  If you rebel against everything then you will not be taken seriously. If you choose your battles then you may convince others to revolt.

Question those charged with your care; parents, teachers, cops, politicians, employers, religious leaders, web masters (lol), and if they are not being responsible in their position of honor then rebellion or revolt is prudent.
McJ, when the hell did I start agreeing with you more often than most of the other forum members?  Aren't you the guy who used to post constantly about when he was young and had sexy women pee on him???
lots of what went on was for entertainment purposes.  Lots more was an anti philosophy.  Questioning normal thoughts and practices and backing up your words was a hallmark of the original intent here.

If in Southern California, try meeting up with me. I am not as out there as some would think.  Ask scrap, he's met me.

Also, I have matured a bit.  Still refusing to be a man...in the traditional sense.
I'm still on the other side of the country, sadly.  :P

I sorta suspect it's a mutual maturing.  I've had a crash course or three in growing up since you were last super-active on here, and about a BILLION since this forum started up.
it is well known that PMS Elle is evil.
I think you'd fit in a 12" or at least a 16" firework mortar
You win this thread because that's most unsettling to even think about.

Offline Al Swearegen

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #50 on: April 12, 2013, 06:26:13 AM »
Here is a real strange one. I LIKE rules and routine. I dislike authority.
I am a hard one to place in work. I don't know if anyone else is the same. I have had a few jobs in my 25 year work history and it is a real mixed bag because I do not get on with a lot of bosses. actually a lot of working styles I don't either.
Left to my own resources and with clear expectations, I am a tireless worker commuted to the organisation's rules, policies and regulations. Ask me if I can do whatever, and I will do it.
Demand I do something, or give me a hard time for a mistake, or change things, or be ambiguous....shit goes down. I do not give a damn about position or rank. I go off.
Bosses who know me recognise this in me and find ways to deal with it. Going head to head doesn't work. In truth (I am embarrassed to say) they usually distract me with other shit until I settle down.
The bosses that don't, I go head to head with and it makes for a stressful environment and job instability (I look for another job)
Four years at this job and I see people come and go and look to get promoted or sidewards promotions. Fuck that. Fuck the change. I earn what the Managers earn and without the stress of learn new skills or risking failing. I know my job inside out. I know the rules and policies and regulations and the Managers let me get on with it.
I2 today is not i2 of yesteryear. It is a knitting circle. Those that participate be they nice or asshats know their place and the price to be there. Odeon is the overlord

Think it is I2 of old? Even Odeon is not so delusional as to think otherwise. He may on occasionally pretend otherwise but his base is that knitting circle.

Censoring/banning/restricting/moderating myself, Calanadale & Scrapheap were all not his finest moments.

Offline McGiver

• Hetero sexist tragedy
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Do me.
« Reply #51 on: April 12, 2013, 07:46:33 AM »
Authority must be held to a higher standard. Authority has some control over your life and can there fore unilaterally change your trajectory by the decisions they make.

I try to teach my kids that rebellion is fine.  But use it wisely.  If you rebel against everything then you will not be taken seriously. If you choose your battles then you may convince others to revolt.

Question those charged with your care; parents, teachers, cops, politicians, employers, religious leaders, web masters (lol), and if they are not being responsible in their position of honor then rebellion or revolt is prudent.
McJ, when the hell did I start agreeing with you more often than most of the other forum members?  Aren't you the guy who used to post constantly about when he was young and had sexy women pee on him???
lots of what went on was for entertainment purposes.  Lots more was an anti philosophy.  Questioning normal thoughts and practices and backing up your words was a hallmark of the original intent here.

If in Southern California, try meeting up with me. I am not as out there as some would think.  Ask scrap, he's met me.

Also, I have matured a bit.  Still refusing to be a man...in the traditional sense.
I'm still on the other side of the country, sadly.  :P

I sorta suspect it's a mutual maturing.  I've had a crash course or three in growing up since you were last super-active on here, and about a BILLION since this forum started up.
no matter what happens, never become too serious.  And always keep your sense of humor and the ability to lol. 
I'm rooting for you.
Misunderstood.

Offline McGiver

• Hetero sexist tragedy
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Do me.
« Reply #52 on: April 12, 2013, 07:55:54 AM »
I am a hard one to place in work. I don't know if anyone else is the same. I have had a few jobs in my 25 year work history and it is a real mixed bag because I do not get on with a lot of bosses. actually a lot of working styles I don't either.
Left to my own resources and with clear expectations, I am a tireless worker commuted to the organisation's rules, policies and regulations. Ask me if I can do whatever, and I will do it.
Demand I do something, or give me a hard time for a mistake, or change things, or be ambiguous....shit goes down. I do not give a damn about position or rank. I go off.
Bosses who know me recognise this in me and find ways to deal with it. Going head to head doesn't work. In truth (I am embarrassed to say) they usually distract me with other shit until I settle down.
The bosses that don't, I go head to head with and it makes for a stressful environment and job instability (I look for another job)
Four years at this job and I see people come and go and look to get promoted or sidewards promotions. Fuck that. Fuck the change. I earn what the Managers earn and without the stress of learn new skills or risking failing. I know my job inside out. I know the rules and policies and regulations and the Managers let me get on with it.
Albert (may I call you that), I have learned to keep my mouth shut at work.  When asked to do a task I simply work as directed whether I think the boss is right or wrong.
Because I keep my mouth shut, people confide in me.  I have learned to suppress my impulse control issues in this regard.  And I never offer judgement nor do I run to the other person and tell.  I think because I never offer judgment that others think I am trustworthy, which I like to think I am.

These are just a few tricks I have learned over the years to get along with authority.  Still, in private I question their motives.  I do not respect them for talking shit about others and question their motives, "what is their end game?"   And they way they want things done serves only them, usually.  Hardly anyone considers the big picture, rather they concern themselves with their self interest.

Human interaction is strange.  People interact face to face by talking about the weather.  Their true interaction, it seems, comes from talking behind each others backs.  Strange indeed.
Misunderstood.

Offline Al Swearegen

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #53 on: April 12, 2013, 09:10:50 AM »
Albert (may I call you that), I have learned to keep my mouth shut at work.  When asked to do a task I simply work as directed whether I think the boss is right or wrong.
Because I keep my mouth shut, people confide in me.  I have learned to suppress my impulse control issues in this regard.  And I never offer judgement nor do I run to the other person and tell.  I think because I never offer judgment that others think I am trustworthy, which I like to think I am.

These are just a few tricks I have learned over the years to get along with authority.  Still, in private I question their motives.  I do not respect them for talking shit about others and question their motives, "what is their end game?"   And they way they want things done serves only them, usually.  Hardly anyone considers the big picture, rather they concern themselves with their self interest.

Human interaction is strange.  People interact face to face by talking about the weather.  Their true interaction, it seems, comes from talking behind each others backs.  Strange indeed.

OK this is something a little personal and self-depreciating but i think pertinent...just in case anyone thought I was using this as a moral position or whatever. I have two kids. One Autistic and one not. Obviously from the above I am seriously socially inept. (Not in the can't talk to people way, but can not fit into social situations well). With my Autistic son, he is socially inept in different ways to me but socially inept irrespectively (something I am hindered in countering because I am weak in these areas too), and my NT daughter is strong in areas here and I am oblivious to how she does it.

It HAS impacted on me rather badly in the past. At present not at all but hey, a good 4 years is not exactly a good 25 years

Offline RageBeoulve

• Super sand nigger
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #54 on: April 12, 2013, 12:02:43 PM »
I have no problem with a leader who is doing a good job. Let me clarify.

A leader is someone not interested in stroking their ego, or any kind of personal gain. A leader sets an example and provides resources to those who would follow it, to make progress towards a goal.

That kind of leader is just groovy with me.
"I’m fearless in my heart.
They will always see that in my eyes.
I am the passion; I am the warfare.
I will never stop...
always constant, accurate, and intense."

- Steve Vai, "The Audience is Listening"

Offline McGiver

• Hetero sexist tragedy
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Do me.
« Reply #55 on: April 12, 2013, 01:51:50 PM »

OK this is something a little personal and self-depreciating but i think pertinent...just in case anyone thought I was using this as a moral position or whatever. I have two kids. One Autistic and one not. Obviously from the above I am seriously socially inept. (Not in the can't talk to people way, but can not fit into social situations well). With my Autistic son, he is socially inept in different ways to me but socially inept irrespectively (something I am hindered in countering because I am weak in these areas too), and my NT daughter is strong in areas here and I am oblivious to how she does it.

It HAS impacted on me rather badly in the past. At present not at all but hey, a good 4 years is not exactly a good 25 years
perhaps you are learning to cope in the mystery I'df social interaction?
Misunderstood.

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #56 on: April 12, 2013, 02:34:16 PM »
A leader is someone not interested in stroking their ego, or any kind of personal gain. A leader sets an example and provides resources to those who would follow it, to make progress towards a goal.

This is not realistic. Ultimately we are all interested in personal gain. You, me, every leader humanity has yet encountered. We are selfish, the lot of us, and it is only when we realise this that we can begin to choose our leaders wisely.

The question is not "if". It is "how do they go about it?"
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline McGiver

• Hetero sexist tragedy
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Do me.
« Reply #57 on: April 12, 2013, 02:37:23 PM »
Until human beings begin to realize what is best for the collective is also what's best for the self we will continue to exploit each other for meager gains.
Misunderstood.

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #58 on: April 12, 2013, 02:39:18 PM »
Yes, that's about it. But not every leader realises that the good of the collective equals personal gain; a precious few do.

- Albert Einstein

Offline Queen Victoria

• Ruler of Aspie Universe
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #59 on: April 12, 2013, 02:50:12 PM »
My father was an auxiliary policeman for about 7 years.  One of the pieces of advice he gave me was to do whatever a policeman tells you to do.  You can always sue the bastard later.
A good monarch is a treasure. A good politician is an oxymoron.

My brain is both uninhibited and uninhabited.

:qv: