Author Topic: OzRockTalk  (Read 728 times)

Offline Al Swearegen

• Pussycat of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Always front on and in your face
Re: OzRockTalk
« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2013, 07:55:05 AM »
Didn't know some of these bands are from Australia. Have always though it intesting that music somehow does away with accents, except for country of course.

A lot of Oz bands tend to sing with a bit of a southern twang(like INXS & The Church).

Or they sing with an Australian Drawl that you are mis-hearing.
I2 today is not i2 of yesteryear. It is a knitting circle. Those that participate be they nice or asshats know their place and the price to be there. Odeon is the overlord

.Benevolent if you toe the line.

Think it is I2 of old? Even Odeon is not so delusional as to think otherwise. He may on occasionally pretend otherwise but his base is that knitting circle.

Censoring/banning/restricting/moderating myself, Calanadale & Scrapheap were all not his finest moments.

How to apologise to Scrap

Offline BUBBASAURUS_RAEP

• Constant Poster
« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2013, 08:27:55 AM »
Didn't know some of these bands are from Australia. Have always though it intesting that music somehow does away with accents, except for country of course.

A lot of Oz bands tend to sing with a bit of a southern twang(like INXS & The Church).

Like Midnight Oil?

British bands often don't have a thick English accent when they sing. Like Echo & The Bunnymen for example. But the way Mike Hutchence sang was with a drawl that sounded very southern but not that drawl that you're thinking of.

Offline Al Swearegen

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #17 on: March 28, 2013, 08:47:09 AM »

Like Midnight Oil?

British bands often don't have a thick English accent when they sing. Like Echo & The Bunnymen for example. But the way Mike Hutchence sang was with a drawl that sounded very southern but not that drawl that you're thinking of.

I grew up with both. I used to have albums of both Midnight Oil and INXS.
Midnight Oil has more Australia-centric lyrics and a more Earthy sound, Hutchence had the better voice and the music was much more appealing to the masses. I think that there are similarities between a southern twang and an Aussie drawl. I think that Hutchence had the later.
I2 today is not i2 of yesteryear. It is a knitting circle. Those that participate be they nice or asshats know their place and the price to be there. Odeon is the overlord

Think it is I2 of old? Even Odeon is not so delusional as to think otherwise. He may on occasionally pretend otherwise but his base is that knitting circle.

Censoring/banning/restricting/moderating myself, Calanadale & Scrapheap were all not his finest moments.

P7PSP

« Reply #18 on: March 28, 2013, 08:48:52 AM »

Like Midnight Oil?

Are you a mind reader now? Are you more familiar with Ozzie speak than Sir_Les is? :LMAO:

Offline Al Swearegen

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #19 on: March 28, 2013, 08:58:20 AM »

Like Midnight Oil?

Are you a mind reader now? Are you more familiar with Ozzie speak than Sir_Les is? :LMAO:

:green:

Yeah mate, did you think I had a pretty pronounced Aussie drawl or do you reckon it was more of a Southern Twang?

Actually this Pom is pretty bloody good. He is not completely 100% like a native but he would not get pulled up as laying it on too thick if he was trying it on here

P7PSP

« Reply #20 on: March 28, 2013, 05:00:09 PM »
 :laugh: I would go with the former. Reading that book you sent me in 2011 gave me an idea of the difference between a Kiwi accent and the Ozzie accent when the main character and his friend were joking about how the Kiwi woman said some phrase but being there really illustrated the differences for me between Pom, Kiwi and Aussie.

The Brits and Kiwis really do talk and act more alike (at least the Brits I was around in London and Canterbury) except I heard a couple of Kiwis saying things like 5 dollars and 55 using an emphasis on and that I don't recall hearing from Poms or Aussies.

One other difference I noted was that Aussies seem to be more willing to jump into conversation with strangers while Poms and Kiwis were polite but more reserved.

Of course I have been told that us Yank West Coasters and North Easterners are like that (reserved) compared to mid Westerners and Southerners too.

And this is all based on very limited interactions.

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Invincible Heisenweeble of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore Beyond Teh Stupid
  • You're goddamn right.
« Reply #21 on: March 28, 2013, 05:07:05 PM »
:laugh: I would go with the former. Reading that book you sent me in 2011 gave me an idea of the difference between a Kiwi accent and the Ozzie accent when the main character and his friend were joking about how the Kiwi woman said some phrase but being there really illustrated the differences for me between Pom, Kiwi and Aussie.

The Brits and Kiwis really do talk and act more alike (at least the Brits I was around in London and Canterbury) except I heard a couple of Kiwis saying things like 5 dollars and 55 using an emphasis on and that I don't recall hearing from Poms or Aussies.

One other difference I noted was that Aussies seem to be more willing to jump into conversation with strangers while Poms and Kiwis were polite but more reserved.

Of course I have been told that us Yank West Coasters and North Easterners are like that (reserved) compared to mid Westerners and Southerners too.

And this is all based on very limited interactions.

We New Englanders are the most reserved and refined of all Americans.  :M :P

Also, what is a Pom?  Is it a Pomeranian?  Pomeranians seem pretty hyper and yappy to me.  :zoinks:
"I'm finding a lot of things funny lately, but I don't think they are."
--- Ripley, Alien Resurrection

"We are grateful for the time we have been given."
--- Edward Walker, The Village

People forget.
--- The Who, "Eminence Front"

Scrapheap

« Reply #22 on: March 28, 2013, 05:07:48 PM »
I think that there are similarities between a southern twang and an Aussie drawl.

True, but the southern American accent is also called a drawl. Twang usually refers to the Texas accent.

P7PSP

« Reply #23 on: March 28, 2013, 05:15:46 PM »

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Invincible Heisenweeble of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore Beyond Teh Stupid
  • You're goddamn right.
« Reply #24 on: March 28, 2013, 05:17:06 PM »
"I'm finding a lot of things funny lately, but I don't think they are."
--- Ripley, Alien Resurrection

"We are grateful for the time we have been given."
--- Edward Walker, The Village

People forget.
--- The Who, "Eminence Front"

Offline BUBBASAURUS_RAEP

• Constant Poster
« Reply #25 on: March 28, 2013, 07:27:10 PM »
Midnight Oil was the U2 of Australia. I honestly never liked them *that* much. Besides INXS, my dual favorite Australian Band is THE CHURCH.

Why am I the only fan of The Church here ITF? ???  I daresay there were as authentic as Midnight Oil and have much wittier lyrics steeped in mysticism.

Offline RageBeoulve

• Super sand nigger
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #26 on: March 28, 2013, 07:32:21 PM »
Midnight Oil was the U2 of Australia. I honestly never liked them *that* much. Besides INXS, my dual favorite Australian Band is THE CHURCH.

Why am I the only fan of The Church here ITF? ???  I daresay there were as authentic as Midnight Oil and have much wittier lyrics steeped in mysticism.

I enjoy pendulum because of the versatility. Metal, all types of electronic, alternative, classic type rock, rappy kind of stuff, etc.

It seems you are pretty music savvy dude. Do you have any similar recommendations for me? I used pendulum for study motivation.
"I’m fearless in my heart.
They will always see that in my eyes.
I am the passion; I am the warfare.
I will never stop...
always constant, accurate, and intense."

- Steve Vai, "The Audience is Listening"

Offline Al Swearegen

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #27 on: March 28, 2013, 07:44:40 PM »

Midnight Oil was not Australia's U2. INXS makes a much better comparison

Offline RageBeoulve

• Super sand nigger
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #28 on: March 28, 2013, 07:49:33 PM »

And al, too. Anyone similar?
"I’m fearless in my heart.
They will always see that in my eyes.
I am the passion; I am the warfare.
I will never stop...
always constant, accurate, and intense."

- Steve Vai, "The Audience is Listening"

Offline skyblue1

• Overlooked of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #29 on: March 28, 2013, 08:48:00 PM »

For politcal themed lyrics, Midnight Oil is closer.

INXS was more pop

I have 12 Church albums

and a Cold Chisel collection

Black Sorrows are one of the best from OZ