Author Topic: Land dispute: US vs Onondaga for New York state  (Read 3473 times)

Offline sg1008

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • This chicken is Insured.
Re: Land dispute: US vs Onondaga for New York state
« Reply #75 on: March 18, 2013, 09:27:11 PM »
While in the US we have treaties (which are legal documents, and some of which are upheld, and some are not (depending on our whims))...but I don't think there were any treaties signed in Australia...maybe one or two, right?
Can't you guys even just imagine it?

Forget practicality, or your experience....can you just....imagine?

It's there. It always was.

Offline Jack

• Reiterative Utterance of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • You don't know Jack.
« Reply #76 on: March 18, 2013, 09:29:40 PM »
The reason why it is inaccurate is because their issue is not with our forefathers.

This is about upholding 1794 treaty.

Offline Jack

• Elder
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • You don't know Jack.
« Reply #77 on: March 18, 2013, 09:34:06 PM »
The really funny thing is, the tribes don't even own reservation land.

Offline sg1008

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #78 on: March 18, 2013, 09:39:45 PM »
The Indian forefathers knew the greedy ways of our gov't and people...they knew people would decide to expire the treaties unless Indians made it clear in writing that the treaties were to last "as long as the sun shines, as long as the mountains stand, and as long as the rivers run".

That really didn't matter to us because racist citizens looked at that as said "stupid poetic Indians, we're taking it anyways". And we CONTINUE to do this today. And they continue to have the right to challenge us. And they continually do.

They are sovereign and have the legal obligation to.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2013, 09:42:43 PM by sg1008 »

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #79 on: March 19, 2013, 12:09:32 AM »
As I'm not an American, I've kept out of this discussion. Until now. This is more than a little condescending and more than a little bigoted:

The Indian forefathers knew the greedy ways of our gov't and people...they knew people would decide to expire the treaties unless Indians made it clear in writing that the treaties were to last "as long as the sun shines, as long as the mountains stand, and as long as the rivers run".

That really didn't matter to us because racist citizens looked at that as said "stupid poetic Indians, we're taking it anyways". And we CONTINUE to do this today. And they continue to have the right to challenge us. And they continually do.

Here's how I read this: nothing is ever the fault of the noble Indians who lived in complete harmony with each other and the universe. The government and people of the USA are all greedy racists intent on not keeping a single treaty, ever.

That about right?

I know this is a Nazi board and all, but don't you think it's time to stop with the sweeping generalisations if you want anyone to listen to whatever actual points you'd like to make? FFS, I'm offended by proxy and the closest I've come to visiting your country was a two-hour stop at JFK last year.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline sg1008

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #80 on: March 19, 2013, 12:23:05 AM »
As I'm not an American, I've kept out of this discussion. Until now. This is more than a little condescending and more than a little bigoted:

Here's how I read this: nothing is ever the fault of the noble Indians who lived in complete harmony with each other and the universe. The government and people of the USA are all greedy racists intent on not keeping a single treaty, ever.

Well, you heard wrong because that's not what I said.
But, yes our gov't is greedy, and yes citizens voted them in.

Also, I've been referring to the nation to nation relationships between USA and indigenous nations. In that relationship, it's pretty clear who in consistently in the wrong. Here's a nice source of all the legal documents we do not honor, for one reason: they're Indian.

source: http://www.honorthetreaties.org/educate/

That is systematic racism, and it prevails today! Imagine, today in the 21st century USA...it baffles me. But what frustrates me is that after explaining that, after calling that out, I am getting accused of bigotry and whatnot. And I never called this a nazi thread geez, it was a question. And I already explained, my anger could have been better handled and that I don't think of y'all as nazis.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2013, 12:35:11 AM by sg1008 »

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #81 on: March 19, 2013, 12:27:53 AM »
It's how I read it. It's all about perception. And you pretty much confirmed it after the initial denial because you repeated the same mistake.

If you want to argue effectively, learn to respect your opposition. Don't assume that they are racist, bigoted or ignorant just because they don't agree with you. At least, don't let it show. They might well be all that and worse, but if that is the case, your (successful) argumentation will make it obvious without you having to resort to generalisations.

As things stand, you are hurting your case worse than your opposition ever could.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline sg1008

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #82 on: March 19, 2013, 12:42:05 AM »
It's how I read it. It's all about perception. And you pretty much confirmed it after the initial denial because you repeated the same mistake.

If you want to argue effectively, learn to respect your opposition. Don't assume that they are racist, bigoted or ignorant just because they don't agree with you. At least, don't let it show. They might well be all that and worse, but if that is the case, your (successful) argumentation will make it obvious without you having to resort to generalisations.

As things stand, you are hurting your case worse than your opposition ever could.

I give up. I don't respect statements that are lies, nor those that are racist. And I will call someone out on it. I don't care if you all have no idea how that was racist. I've tried to explain it, but you're set on believing stating "your people wronged my people a couple hundred years ago" blah blah blah is #1 a valid and accurate statement with regards to the OP, and #2 in need of respect despite.

I am sorry. WHY DON'T YOU GET IT?? WHY is it a given that Indians only have legit grievances with the past and not with the present. IF THAT WAS SO, then statements such as 'your people wronged my people a couple hundred years ago' would be accurate and valid addition to the conversation.

Offline Al Swearegen

• Pussycat of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Always front on and in your face
« Reply #83 on: March 19, 2013, 01:13:58 AM »
While in the US we have treaties (which are legal documents, and some of which are upheld, and some are not (depending on our whims))...but I don't think there were any treaties signed in Australia...maybe one or two, right?

There was one treaty signed but it pertained to a particular tribe and an individual, thus unenforceable. But a treaty has been sought for around the last 100 years. Government Herr sometimes pretend to consider it.
Will be back from work soon and dedicate some time to this

« Last Edit: March 19, 2013, 05:22:34 AM by Al Swearengen »
I2 today is not i2 of yesteryear. It is a knitting circle. Those that participate be they nice or asshats know their place and the price to be there. Odeon is the overlord

.Benevolent if you toe the line.

Think it is I2 of old? Even Odeon is not so delusional as to think otherwise. He may on occasionally pretend otherwise but his base is that knitting circle.

Censoring/banning/restricting/moderating myself, Calanadale & Scrapheap were all not his finest moments.

How to apologise to Scrap

Offline Jack

• Elder
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • You don't know Jack.
« Reply #84 on: March 19, 2013, 04:07:04 AM »

I am sorry. WHY DON'T YOU GET IT?? WHY is it a given that Indians only have legit grievances with the past and not with the present. IF THAT WAS SO, then statements such as 'your people wronged my people a couple hundred years ago' would be accurate and valid addition to the conversation.

They say it for themselves on their own website. The fact of the matter is, this particular suit is exactly a matter of your people wronged my people a couple hundred years ago.

How did New York State and others come to possess Onondaga lands if they were not acquired legally?
Between 1790 and 1822, the State of New York signed five so-called "treaties" with individual members of the Onondaga Nation, supposedly acquiring all of the Nation's lands except for the 7,300-acre territory where the Nation resides today. The State later sold most of the land to others. None of these "treaties" was ever ratified or approved by the Onondaga Nation itself, by the Haudenosaunee, or by the United States government.
http://www.onondaganation.org/land/faq.html

Offline Al Swearegen

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #85 on: March 19, 2013, 04:50:33 AM »
Odeon is right here.

But, yes our gov't is greedy, and yes citizens voted them in.

Native Americans are not citizens?

They are different. A different class? Not suffering from greed and not citizens themselves. Bearing no responsibility for voting in government. Sounding a bit....what is the word?

Bear with me here. When was the treaty first broken?
No, "it is still broken" or how legally enforceable it is, but WHEN was it first broken and by which specific people?
Now there are your culprits and there are the people that did wrong and need to fix the problem that they have caused every Native American with claim on the land and every non-Native American with claim on the land.
You are making it sound like a series of treaty breaks...but it simply is not. There was a break and a non-recommencement. Not a breaking of the treaty in each successive government or by every person who elected the government.
If this is your argument then it is not a worthy argument at all and it not just a simplistic argument but wrong and basing any assumptions off this wrong.

Of course for the courts and government, it is embarrassing and uncomfortable. It shows non-Native American people, possibly even related to them or their forefathers, who have quite obviously lied and deceived and stolen from Native Americans and the Native Americans are saying that they want the treaty honoured.

Obviously the land in question has not been in the Native Americans possession for a while and non-Americans have been using it. Again to say "just give it back" is said so easily.

It is simplistic and idealistic. Let's say...just out of argument that they did and said OK, NY state is your's. Go and collect. What happens there? At the very least I imagine that there would non-Native Americans would have their land rights reduced and seek compensation. From who? Not the Native Americans, but the Government. What if they could not afford the value of the claims. What if there was jurisdictional problems with maintaining order in NY State due to the fact that the land could now be considered a sovereignty? What effect on the State's economy in general? What if there was confusion or differences in opinion as to the rights assumed by the Native Americans? Was if there was a legislative follow on yet unconsidered?

You may say "Doesn't matter" I say that this would be overly simplistic an answer.

Now Parts may say "'Your people wronged my people a couple hundred years ago'    Blah blah blah  it gets old."

This too, I find simplistic BUT it does get old. Why? Because it is the same thing occurring again and again. Who would be the judge ruling on this case? Non-Native Americans, stole, cheated and lied and it is clear they did. It is equally clear that the agreement is a contract.
Now who lied to who? Who stole off who? Those people who originally broke the agreements are long dead as are the people that they broke it with. Now they are asked to reactivate and make good the treaty again. They also have all the unknowns listed above.

Now what stops them or the government okaying this? (I will give you hint, I don't think it is greed or that greed plays a big part). They are shitting themselves as to what such a nod will do?

So they do nothing. Then it hangs in the air and is the elephant in the room that no one wants to talk about and everyone wants to ignore. It is old and unresolved.

Parts would possibly say "Fuck that. Why should some Non-Native American have their rights extinguished or reduced on the basis of what some dickheads did 200 years ago?"
It would be a great point. They shouldn't.

Parts may say, "Look past is past and what someone did to someone 200 years ago ought not impact on people now. Every race, creed or nation has screwed over or been screwed over by someone at some point and it is not fair but it is. We make the best of it. I will not take up arms against the English for the way they treated my Irish forefathers years ago. I am over it We get on with things. You can only really take issue with the here and now"

It is simplistic but a fair call.

Now my view:

The treaty is broken. The people have been wronged. It WAS wrong. No one needs to say they are personally responsible or accountable. They need to say "Yup you guys were screwed over". Now as benevolent society will help the handicapped, the sick, the injured and the aged, and for no financial windfall or agenda, society should acknowledge "something" needs to be done for the people that were screwed over and had their land stolen.

That is the starting point. The next part ought to involve ALL stakeholders and accept relevant concerns and treat everyone in good faith. It ought to be a situation where whilst acknowledging every concession will be a diminishing of rights to at least someone, to work on this. Slowly work to what is a compromise. This compromise to allow all parties the best result.

But hey, that is me.

« Last Edit: March 19, 2013, 06:00:19 AM by Al Swearengen »
I2 today is not i2 of yesteryear. It is a knitting circle. Those that participate be they nice or asshats know their place and the price to be there. Odeon is the overlord

Think it is I2 of old? Even Odeon is not so delusional as to think otherwise. He may on occasionally pretend otherwise but his base is that knitting circle.

Censoring/banning/restricting/moderating myself, Calanadale & Scrapheap were all not his finest moments.

Offline Al Swearegen

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #86 on: March 19, 2013, 04:54:28 AM »

I give up. I don't respect statements that are lies, nor those that are racist. And I will call someone out on it. I don't care if you all have no idea how that was racist. I've tried to explain it, but you're set on believing stating "your people wronged my people a couple hundred years ago" blah blah blah is #1 a valid and accurate statement with regards to the OP, and #2 in need of respect despite.

Feel free to call people on being wrong, ill-informed, bigoted, or racist.

IF you get it wrong, then be prepared for anyone who thinks you are wrong to let you know about it. It is I2. Be prepared to back your claims.

You do not need to agree with every position. You do not have to understand every position BUT if you stupidly, irrationally, illogically, unreasonable and intolerantly pursue your own viewpoint at the exclusion of others then you are zealous, bigoted and stymie communication. I know you wanted one point of view, and one way of communicating ideas, and one framework with which to work. You wanted your presuppositions about who people were, to be true. You did not want to be questioned. If you were questioned you wanted everyone to agree with your intellect and morality once explained.

It did not happen. That in itself is not such a problem.

The bigger problem is that the efforts that you went to to denounce bigotry, racism, ignorance, lies, and the like, backfired rather badly. It made YOU look like the one with all of these issues. as seen in the long arsed above post, I presented my view whilst contesting two opposing viewpoints that I understand (I may be wrong and fine with having you or Parts contest them.....) and not disrespecting either position that is different from my own.

Compare that to your position against differing opinions.

Oh well...I did tell you to cut the shit out more than once, (and because I DO like you. I think you are a good bloke), nope you were too invested in your bullshit and judgmental and ignorant bigotry - why was it that valuable to you? You made no end point ultimately. You did not raise the bar in what I think is an interesting subject. You did nothing to show intellect or intellectual honesty. Nothing learned, nothing but a rather poor display of debate.

I think you are better than this. Hoped for more
« Last Edit: March 19, 2013, 06:21:26 AM by Al Swearengen »

Offline Jack

• Elder
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • You don't know Jack.
« Reply #87 on: March 19, 2013, 05:19:19 AM »
It may have been lost in the shuffle, Sir, but this was a legitimate interest. Didn't know Australia has a national ancestral guilt day.

In Australia there is a National Sorry Day that white Australians are supposed to endorse and seek to placate and reconcile with Aborigines.

Interesting. What's the name of this day? How is it celebrated? Here we have thanksgiving, gather the family, eat like pigs, and watch the parade.

Offline Al Swearegen

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #88 on: March 19, 2013, 05:30:13 AM »
It may have been lost in the shuffle, Sir, but this was a legitimate interest. Didn't know Australia has a national ancestral guilt day.

In Australia there is a National Sorry Day that white Australians are supposed to endorse and seek to placate and reconcile with Aborigines.

Interesting. What's the name of this day? How is it celebrated? Here we have thanksgiving, gather the family, eat like pigs, and watch the parade.

Ah sorry mate.Yes, it is still publicised. It is not done in an official capacity. It is not recognised by most people.

It is literally "National Sorry Day". It will never really grow legs. It is an opportunity for those White Australian with "White guilt" to celebrate or mourn or whatever they do and for some Aboriginals to feel placated.

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #89 on: March 19, 2013, 06:16:13 AM »
I've been busy with work and am surprised it's still going so strongly.   Thanks Sir les your thoughts on what I would say were about right. 
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw