Author Topic: What about robot-dancing (or something) in the last defiant moments of life?  (Read 3144 times)

Offline Bastet

• Psychotic Mentally Deficient Deranged Bitch
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • MeOW!
Re: What about robot-dancing (or something) in the last defiant moments of life?
« Reply #105 on: February 21, 2013, 09:41:04 PM »
The required work week for a newly hired attorney at a large firm is 100 hours a week.  Law school is easy compared to that.

For whatever it's worth, I checked up on this with a friend of a friend who recently graduated law school. They "only" work 50-60 hour weeks.

:kitten: OBSESSIVE AILUROPHILE :kitten:

It is far better for people to hate you for doing the right thing than for people to love you for doing the wrong thing. Never ever forget that.

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
Re: What about robot-dancing (or something) in the last defiant moments of life?
« Reply #106 on: February 22, 2013, 12:33:12 AM »
The only way what you say could work is if you don't clean yourself regularly, don't sleep well, have no friends, no hobbies outside of this website, don't plan meals/do any grocery shopping or cooking/ let your yard and house look like shit, EXCETERA
Bolded are the parts that are typical for grad school.  (And, around exams times, well... let's just say I definitely remember guys talking about wearing swim trunks for underwear because they had run out of clean underwear and hadn't had time to do laundry yet.)

Also, come to think of it, underlined are the parts that sound like being the parent(s) of a small child or two.   :laugh:

Funny thing is I wasn't seeking to help either Rage or One L, but I feel like Rage is making himself look childish.  I wasn't saying anything beyond a hypothesis that perhaps One L's wife helps keep the things going he does not have time to do.  I have no idea what their arrangement is. 

I do know there are indeed people (wives OR husbands- or even just significant others) who view having to step up their own workload in order to help their partner finish a life goal (like school) as a worthy investment in their future together and/or as something they feel they ought to do to support the person they love and have chosen to spend their life with.  Not saying that's always how it pans out, but it certainly wouldn't be a particularly "out-there" arrangement for most of the housework and childcare to fall to the partner who *isn't* working full time while also going to law school- again, does not have to be about gender.  Hell of a lot of work for everyone involved, especially with young kids, but I'd assume that their assumption is very likely that it will ultimately be worth it.

And yes, single mothers do it alone.  And, in less-common cases, single fathers do it.  It's very difficult to do alone- especially TOTALLY alone (which is even less common), but can be done.  So long as there's enough money, anyway.

That was pretty much my reaction to Rage's comments.

Law school is tough and requires a lot of time, but I can easily understand why many couples would choose to do what they can to make it work.'

I went back to the uni at one point in my career, when we had a newborn at home - my oldest - and so we split the responsibilities at home best we could. It worked but eventually I decided I wasn't seeing my kid enough. My wife still thinks it was a shame, but career-wise I've done OK anyway.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #107 on: February 22, 2013, 12:34:41 AM »
The required work week for a newly hired attorney at a large firm is 100 hours a week.  Law school is easy compared to that.

For whatever it's worth, I checked up on this with a friend of a friend who recently graduated law school. They "only" work 50-60 hour weeks.

So the friend of your friend can keep another job on the side, then? :P
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #108 on: February 22, 2013, 12:39:20 AM »
Yes people can have a different outlook. I just think it should be split down the middle.

That's nice in theory but what you will do in Real Life (TM) is to compromise. What's important is that both parties accept that their respective workloads are fair.

"In the middle" considerations, btw, should include the law school anyway because (and I'm assuming things here) it will benefit both of them. My guess is that it was a joint decision.

Now, if she wanted to study, too, things might be different.

- Albert Einstein

Offline bodie

• Reflective Katoptronaphiliac of the Aspie Elite
  • News Box Slave
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • busy re arranging deck chairs on board the Titanic
« Reply #109 on: February 22, 2013, 01:55:47 AM »
Raising a kid on your own is no stroll in the park!  At least at work you get a break and get to log off.  It's never ending with a kid.  The thing i have found is that whenever i get into supermum mode i feel like 'yeah bring it on'  and i get on a roll and find i can accomplish the impossible.  They do say if you want to get something done you should ask a busy person :GA:
blah blah blah

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Invincible Heisenweeble of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore Beyond Teh Stupid
  • You're goddamn right.
« Reply #110 on: February 22, 2013, 02:12:57 AM »
Raising a kid on your own is no stroll in the park!  At least at work you get a break and get to log off.  It's never ending with a kid.   The thing i have found is that whenever i get into supermum mode i feel like 'yeah bring it on'  and i get on a roll and find i can accomplish the impossible.   They do say if you want to get something done you should ask a busy person :GA:

That's so awesome.  I don't have any   :bonnet: :toy:   but I could try getting busier!
"I'm finding a lot of things funny lately, but I don't think they are."
--- Ripley, Alien Resurrection

"We are grateful for the time we have been given."
--- Edward Walker, The Village

People forget.
--- The Who, "Eminence Front"

Offline El

• Unofficial Weird News Reporter of the Aspie Elite
  • News Box Slave
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #111 on: February 22, 2013, 06:59:34 AM »
Oh man thats sick. :( They probably had partying and sex and marijuana higher up on their priority list than staying clean. Well maybe not sex.
My response to your responses (quoted above, as well as in general) is probably best summed up in my response to Odeon, below.  Rage, you're just making yourself sound too "young" to know what you're talking about.

Yes people can have a different outlook. I just think it should be split down the middle.

That's nice in theory but what you will do in Real Life (TM) is to compromise. What's important is that both parties accept that their respective workloads are fair.

"In the middle" considerations, btw, should include the law school anyway because (and I'm assuming things here) it will benefit both of them. My guess is that it was a joint decision.

I feel like this conversation is revealing a lack of understanding of/exposure to certain aspects of Real Life (TM) on Rage's part.  Which is a shame, as I feel like the current argument started with a legit beef against One L, but now Rage is making his own case seem weak.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2013, 07:04:28 AM by PMS Elle »
it is well known that PMS Elle is evil.
I think you'd fit in a 12" or at least a 16" firework mortar
You win this thread because that's most unsettling to even think about.

Offline Bastet

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • MeOW!
« Reply #112 on: February 22, 2013, 07:22:38 AM »
Oh man thats sick. :( They probably had partying and sex and marijuana higher up on their priority list than staying clean. Well maybe not sex.
My response to your responses (quoted above, as well as in general) is probably best summed up in my response to Odeon, below.  Rage, hon, you're just making yourself sound too "young" to know what you're talking about.

I feel like this conversation is revealing a lack of understanding of/exposure to certain aspects of Real Life (TM) on Rage's part.  Which is a shame, as I feel like the current argument started with a legit beef against One L, but now Rage is making his own case seem weak.

I happen to know Rage is very busy. He has been since before he started school. He has different projects and hjas texted me pics of some of them. Pics of his niece and nephew doing different things, pics of them, pics of work he's done arouind the house. They are full of energy. They are smalller versions of himself. He remodeled his parent's house and landscaped their yard. I have seen pics of that as well. It is easy to claim on facebook you have the perfect life. People lie about that all the time. MLA is a lawyer in training. Isn't lying what lawyer's do best? Rage and MLA are free to post pics to back their shit up.

It is far better for people to hate you for doing the right thing than for people to love you for doing the wrong thing. Never ever forget that.

Offline Pyraxis

• Werewolf Wrangler of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • aka Daria
« Reply #113 on: February 22, 2013, 07:40:45 AM »
I can't believe people are stooping to "my life is better than yours!"
You'll never self-actualize the subconscious canopy of stardust with that attitude.

P7PSP

« Reply #114 on: February 22, 2013, 08:05:16 AM »
I happen to know Rage is very busy. He has been since before he started school. He has different projects and hjas texted me pics of some of them. Pics of his niece and nephew doing different things, pics of them, pics of work he's done arouind the house. They are full of energy. They are smalller versions of himself. He remodeled his parent's house and landscaped their yard. I have seen pics of that as well. It is easy to claim on facebook you have the perfect life. People lie about that all the time. MLA is a lawyer in training. Isn't lying what lawyer's do best? Rage and MLA are free to post pics to back their shit up.
Whether Rage is busy or not has fuck all to do with the basis for this argument. What PMSL said sounds right to me. Keeping on topic about MLAs behavior here would be more productive than questioning whether he really has a job and is going to Law School evenings. People are capable of such things.
:agreed:

Offline Bastet

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • MeOW!
« Reply #115 on: February 22, 2013, 08:09:08 AM »

Typical MLA.  Idgaf who's life is better. MLA is just hellbent on showing the world how speshul he is. I notice generally people who do that are covering up an ugly truth. My life is fine the way it is. I am finally going somewhere because I am making an effort. I don't need to broadcast it publicly. I wouldn't want to jinx it anyway.

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #116 on: February 22, 2013, 08:32:15 AM »
My response to your responses (quoted above, as well as in general) is probably best summed up in my response to Odeon, below.  Rage, hon, you're just making yourself sound too "young" to know what you're talking about.

What's your point? That MLA is lying because he claims to be happy? That because Rage's argument re splitting things in the middle is considered to be weak, you need to show that Rage is just as busy as ML says he is but MLA is lying about that, too?

I don't get it.

Rage may be busy but (for entirely understandable reasons) he doesn't have a lot of experience in family life (as in having your own family). It doesn't reflect badly on him at all. What might is him saying he knows it should be better than people who do have that experience.

- Albert Einstein

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #117 on: February 22, 2013, 08:34:35 AM »

Typical MLA.  Idgaf who's life is better. MLA is just hellbent on showing the world how speshul he is. I notice generally people who do that are covering up an ugly truth. My life is fine the way it is. I am finally going somewhere because I am making an effort. I don't need to broadcast it publicly. I wouldn't want to jinx it anyway.

That's just bullshit. It may be true for you but it doesn't have to be true for everyone else. Ever heard of that expression about shouting from the rooftops?

- Albert Einstein

Offline Bastet

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • MeOW!
« Reply #118 on: February 22, 2013, 10:08:29 AM »
^I am on my phone. I will go into depth later.

I agree about some of what you said about Rage. I will clarify. I hate typing on my phone.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2013, 10:11:10 AM by Uppity Retard »

midlifeaspie

« Reply #119 on: February 22, 2013, 10:34:46 AM »

I was referring to the large firms in NY, Chicago and LA.  The ones with a starting salary of $160k and $20-$80k in annual bonus.  100 hours a week is an extreme during trial prep or doc review, but 80 hours a week isn't at all unusual.  I won't take a job that requires more than 50 myself.