Educational

Author Topic: School shooting in Newtown, CT  (Read 3968 times)

Offline Adam

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
Re: School shooting in Newtown, CT
« Reply #75 on: December 17, 2012, 01:29:54 PM »
also one of their twitter accounts has been hacked

I think it's called @Dear_Shirley or @DearShirley iirc

Offline TA

• Rage Filled Brain of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore
  • Face my Squirrely Wrath!
« Reply #76 on: December 17, 2012, 01:40:04 PM »
I'll just leave this here.

Anonymous - Message To The Westboro Baptist Church on Vimeo

Warning: Loud noises at the end.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2012, 01:47:34 PM by TA »
The stupidity of humanity FILLS ME WITH RAGE!

Offline Icequeen

• News Box Slave
  • Insane Postwhore
  • I peopled today.
« Reply #77 on: December 17, 2012, 02:44:50 PM »
Saw that earlier. :thumbup:

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #78 on: December 17, 2012, 03:48:40 PM »
I would like to know when I can listen to the radio again without hearing updates every commercial break.  Big story and a tragedy for certain but is this much coverage helpful?
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

Offline TA

• Rage Filled Brain of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore
  • Face my Squirrely Wrath!
« Reply #79 on: December 17, 2012, 03:49:29 PM »
I would like to know when I can listen to the radio again without hearing updates every commercial break.  Big story and a tragedy for certain but is this much coverage helpful?

Rating whores will be ratings whores.
The stupidity of humanity FILLS ME WITH RAGE!

Offline Calavera

• The Intellectually Deficient of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #80 on: December 17, 2012, 04:17:09 PM »
WBC is the perfect example of what Christianity (and what it stands for) is NOT about. They're awful on so many levels. I feel sick to my stomach that they are even contemplating protesting the funerals.

Anonymous on the other hand, I have to say it kind of made me laugh in that they're like a bully who is pushing another bully back into the corner. They stood up for the little guy, but I don't think what they did was right either.

Apparently iNewtown only has ONE funeral director. I feel really bad for him/her because this will take a huge emotional toll on that person.

lol, them again.

Offline El

• Unofficial Weird News Reporter of the Aspie Elite
  • News Box Slave
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #81 on: December 17, 2012, 08:44:57 PM »

Thought this was interesting.
it is well known that PMS Elle is evil.
I think you'd fit in a 12" or at least a 16" firework mortar
You win this thread because that's most unsettling to even think about.

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #82 on: December 18, 2012, 12:10:30 AM »

Be on the lookout for the next big piece of drama. When it happens, you can safely tune to your favourite radio station again and listen to endless drivel about that new drama instead. :zoinks:
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline ProfessorFarnsworth

• Mad scientist at work
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Good news everyone!
« Reply #83 on: December 18, 2012, 12:11:20 AM »

Thought this was interesting.

The forensic psychiatrist is absolutely right, basically he said in all that the media shouldn't be sensationalizing these events. By doing so they glorify these people as anti-hero figures to inspire others who are disturbed to do the same in the future; seeing how much attention they'll get and be remembered for it.

I mean think about the psychology behind the average shooter (I would imagine): You want vengeance due to decades of alienation, you want to be remembered and strike fear into and/or kill those who wronged you. You don't consider the more logical/moral options nor have coping mechanism to inhibit impulsive thoughts spurred on by negative experiences. You see the coverage on the news or read about past incidents of what people that felt like you did and be inspired by it. You realize that not only it satisfies your rage to mass-murder people, but you will be remembered in history for it too. And what's this? If you have an ideology or manifesto you want to spread, hey that's a bonus in doing such a heinous act. So much obsessive media coverage, the ultimate limelight and you have nothing to loose...

Frankly, I don't think these shooters are entirely insane or psychotic either as the act to shoot up a school is too per-meditated. It's more of failure of them developing impulsive control due to an actual illness or abuse. I'm sure people will disagree, but it's all too easy to consider someone insane without weighing up more specific factors first.
Existence actually has two broad meanings despite its apparent meaningless. The constant reconciliation of all its parts, and the conservation of any closed system as a whole.

Morality can be extrapolated from these meanings to make these two commandments of godless morality: 1). Be in harmony with one another and 2). Care for the environment.

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #84 on: December 18, 2012, 12:25:32 AM »
^Agreed. Insanity is very frequently a copout.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline Calavera

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #85 on: December 18, 2012, 12:46:55 AM »
What exactly is insane anyway.

It's just a term mainly used for legal or psychiatric decisions. But philosophically speaking, it's subjective to one's perspective.

Offline El

• Unofficial Weird News Reporter of the Aspie Elite
  • News Box Slave
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #86 on: December 18, 2012, 06:55:15 AM »
"Insane" is a legal psychiatric term referring to the inability to tell right from wrong due to mental defect.  Insanity defenses very very rarely work.  I believe (I'm sure someone will end up researching this and correcting me if I'm wrong) insanity defenses typically refer more to psychosis than to psychopathy/sociopathy.

"Psychotic" would refer to some type of disturbance in reality.  Hallucinating, delusional, etc.  I work with quite a few folks with psychosis.  They're quite rarely actually "insane."  Some, you'd never be able to tell they have hallucinations, or any type of reality disturbance, to talk to them.  In fact, my impression at this point is most people who have psychotic symptoms don't actually have largely psychotic thought processes.  Though, the most common psychotic symptoms are very low level (hearing small noises, seeing things out of the corners of one's eyes).

Psychopaths/sociopaths are, for a quick and dirty definition, people who for all intents and purposes "don't have souls."

I'd say that in order to do something as heinous as a mass killing, one would have to be pretty damn sick, but not necessarily "insane" as above.  Not necessarily psychotic, either.  Sociopathic?  Probably.  Though, what that says about people in the military who're able to do prolific amounts of killing... is a tangent, but something that does come to my mind.  In general, it's scary what human beings are not only able to do to one another, but in many cases, do relatively commonly to one another.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2012, 06:56:56 AM by PMS Elle »
it is well known that PMS Elle is evil.
I think you'd fit in a 12" or at least a 16" firework mortar
You win this thread because that's most unsettling to even think about.

Offline Calavera

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #87 on: December 18, 2012, 07:24:38 AM »
People without a conscience may not know right from wrong, but not all of them are considered "insane" by the law. Or even psychologically speaking (as far as I know).

midlifeaspie

« Reply #88 on: December 18, 2012, 09:57:03 AM »
People without a conscience may not know right from wrong, but not all of them are considered "insane" by the law. Or even psychologically speaking (as far as I know).

This is essentially a boiled down synopsis of what she just said.  Insanity defenses require a "break", while sociopathy doesn't qualify

Offline Lestat

• Pharmaceutical dustbin of the autie elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Homo stercore veteris, heterodiem
« Reply #89 on: December 18, 2012, 11:10:19 AM »
What do you mean a 'break' ?

As in, a sudden departure from their normal self, as opposed to a sociopath/psychopath in the truest classical sense, in their case 'fruitcake' being the baseline personality/cognitive type to begin with?
Beyond the pale. Way, way beyond the pale.

Requiescat in pacem, Wolfish, beloved of Pyraxis.