Educational

Author Topic: Labeling genetically modified foods initiative gets on california ballot.  (Read 858 times)

Offline ProfessorFarnsworth

• Mad scientist at work
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Good news everyone!
By the way here's one source discussing the risks of GMOs:

http://www.responsibletechnology.org/faqs
http://responsibletechnology.org/gmo-education
http://www.responsibletechnology.org/gmo-dangers/65-health-risks

These parts are especially interesting:

Quote from: FAQ
What about GM hormones in milk?

Milk from rBGH-treated cows contains an increased amount of the hormone IGF-1, which is one of the highest risk factors associated with breast and prostate cancer, but no one is tracking this in relation to cancer rates.

http://responsibletechnology.org/gmo-dangers/65-health-risks/2notes#mutations]2.4 The promoter may accidentally switch on harmful genes
1. Promoters are switches that turn on genes.
2. The promoter used in nearly all GM crops is designed to permanently turn on the foreign gene at high output.
3. Although scientists had claimed that the promoter would only turn on the foreign gene, it can accidentally turn on other natural plant genes—permanently.
4. These genes may overproduce an allergen, toxin, carcinogen or antinutrient, or regulators that block other genes.

So even my assumption of cancer risk from GMO crops is not that unfounded nor exclusive to my own opinion. Not solid proof but it demonstrates my concern is a valid one shared by some experts. The source even mentions cases of lab rats and livestock suffering health problems, even dying as well as the cross-pollination contamination and its environmental effects.

But since you admitted you're not taking my posts seriously, I am wasting my time. Still, sharing this stuff may be of interest to anyone else reading this thread.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2012, 04:57:10 AM by CommanderShepard »
Existence actually has two broad meanings despite its apparent meaningless. The constant reconciliation of all its parts, and the conservation of any closed system as a whole.

Morality can be extrapolated from these meanings to make these two commandments of godless morality: 1). Be in harmony with one another and 2). Care for the environment.

Offline Callaway

• Official Spokesperson for the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
It's very interesting to me.

Offline Kapkao

• If it's Godunov for you it's good enough for me
  • Elder
  • Postwhore
By the way here's one source discussing the risks of GMOs:

http://www.responsibletechnology.org/faqs
http://responsibletechnology.org/gmo-education
http://www.responsibletechnology.org/gmo-dangers/65-health-risks

These parts are especially interesting:

Quote from: FAQ
What about GM hormones in milk?

Milk from rBGH-treated cows contains an increased amount of the hormone IGF-1, which is one of the highest risk factors associated with breast and prostate cancer, but no one is tracking this in relation to cancer rates.

http://responsibletechnology.org/gmo-dangers/65-health-risks/2notes#mutations]2.4 The promoter may accidentally switch on harmful genes
1. Promoters are switches that turn on genes.
2. The promoter used in nearly all GM crops is designed to permanently turn on the foreign gene at high output.
3. Although scientists had claimed that the promoter would only turn on the foreign gene, it can accidentally turn on other natural plant genes—permanently.
4. These genes may overproduce an allergen, toxin, carcinogen or antinutrient, or regulators that block other genes.

So even my assumption of cancer risk from GMO crops is not that unfounded nor exclusive to my own opinion. Not solid proof but it demonstrates my concern is a valid one shared by some experts. The source even mentions cases of lab rats and livestock suffering health problems, even dying as well as the cross-pollination contamination and its environmental effects.

But since you admitted you're not taking my posts seriously, I am wasting my time. Still, sharing this stuff may be of interest to anyone else reading this thread.

Nope, not wasting your time unless you make assertions you can't back up with cites, independent corroboration, etc.

Have a free  :plus:, 'ts on me.

Offline Kapkao

• If it's Godunov for you it's good enough for me
  • Elder
  • Postwhore
As a sidenote;
Yes, Shepard, my posts are going to provocative, incisive and in general reflecting well of someone who does not give a flying fuck how people think or "feel" about a given subject, merely what they can prove.

You pulled quite a few indefensible generic declarations of fact out of your ass and (I suppose) you wanted others here to take them seriously. That I didn't doesn't automatically mean I'm trolling you or that I'm a troll, merely that I will likely take a giant, heaving shit all over your fact-free posts.

Ok, my spelling reads like shit. I deserve a  :minusevil: for that

midlifeaspie

Re: Labeling genetically modified foods initiative gets on california ballot.
« Reply #34 on: November 09, 2012, 09:48:26 AM »
Seems like this thread should be appended to mention that it didn't pass :(

Offline 'andersom'

• Pure Chocolate Bovine PIMP of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • well known as hyke.
« Reply #35 on: November 09, 2012, 11:53:37 AM »
:(
I can do upside down chocolate moo things!

P7PSP

« Reply #36 on: November 09, 2012, 12:12:06 PM »
Signature collecting for nothing.

midlifeaspie

« Reply #37 on: November 09, 2012, 12:16:29 PM »

Not for nothing.  You can legitimately bitch about it now since you actually put in effort to change things.  Maybe next cycle things will go better.

Offline 'andersom'

• Pure Chocolate Bovine PIMP of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • well known as hyke.
« Reply #38 on: November 09, 2012, 12:40:06 PM »

Not for nothing.  You can legitimately bitch about it now since you actually put in effort to change things.  Maybe next cycle things will go better.
:indeed:

You tried, and one day, it may pay off.
I can do upside down chocolate moo things!

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Invincible Heisenweeble of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore Beyond Teh Stupid
  • You're goddamn right.
« Reply #39 on: November 09, 2012, 01:53:11 PM »

:indeed:

You tried, and one day, it may pay off.

:agreed:   At least you didn't sit at home complaining.  You took action.
"I'm finding a lot of things funny lately, but I don't think they are."
--- Ripley, Alien Resurrection

"We are grateful for the time we have been given."
--- Edward Walker, The Village

People forget.
--- The Who, "Eminence Front"