Poll

Should McKinnon be extradited to US to face trial?

Yes
No
No he should be offered a job by them instead.

Author Topic: Should the UK extradite computer hacker to the US?  (Read 655 times)

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
Re: Should the UK extradite computer hacker to the US?
« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2012, 03:32:55 PM »
That's what the Chinese say about you when approving another loan. :smarty:
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline bodie

• Reflective Katoptronaphiliac of the Aspie Elite
  • News Box Slave
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • busy re arranging deck chairs on board the Titanic
« Reply #16 on: October 16, 2012, 04:43:43 PM »
I don't think many Americans realise the rest of the world does not look upto its judicial system.

Well, our judicial system is unique in the world.  We are a common law system where most of the world uses a civil code system.  Only the US uses this system.  No, wait, sorry, almost forgot.  Only the UK and it's former colonies use this system.  Oh yeah, it isn't even our system.  It came from the Brits.

:chores:
Indeed.  You have only had a few hundred years to sort it out.  Our colonial asses were kicked out big time.

Anyway, i was referring to a more recent refinement to your system!  Guantanamo Bay.   I got no idea if the stories of torture and even the poor treatment of children who were alleged to have been incarcerated are true.  However, that is the picture painted by the media.  Midnight Express revisited!

I do like you yanks, though  :-*
blah blah blah

Offline bodie

• News Box Slave
  • Maniacal Postwhore
« Reply #17 on: October 16, 2012, 04:49:16 PM »
I don't think it's the system being a common law system but having quite bizarre laws and punishments and also the attitude by those running the system  :asthing:

Most of the "bizarre laws and punishments" come from the common law, not the civil code.  As such, they were inherited from England.  That's the only point I was trying to make :)

Agreed.  We wrote the book on barmy laws.  There used to be something called a 'dunking chair'   It gave men authority to strap their wives to a chair and dunk them in the local river...if they nagged too much!   :zoinks:
blah blah blah

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #18 on: October 16, 2012, 05:41:06 PM »
I don't think many Americans realise the rest of the world does not look upto its judicial system.

Well, our judicial system is unique in the world.  We are a common law system where most of the world uses a civil code system.  Only the US uses this system.  No, wait, sorry, almost forgot.  Only the UK and it's former colonies use this system.  Oh yeah, it isn't even our system.  It came from the Brits.

Indeed.  You have only had a few hundred years to sort it out.  Our colonial asses were kicked out big time.

Anyway, i was referring to a more recent refinement to your system!  Guantanamo Bay.   I got no idea if the stories of torture and even the poor treatment of children who were alleged to have been incarcerated are true.  However, that is the picture painted by the media.  Midnight Express revisited!

That really has nothing to do with the judicial system in fact I think it is an insult to it.  This doesn't even begin to cover what goes on there.
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

Offline bodie

• News Box Slave
  • Maniacal Postwhore
« Reply #19 on: October 16, 2012, 05:59:39 PM »
I know.  It isn't even in the US is it?  :dunno:

It really doesn't matter.  It is the image we get.  I was given the impression anyone remanded in custody could be thrown in there?

If so, i am sure it holds some weight on extradition matters as its reputation is so bad.   
blah blah blah

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #20 on: October 16, 2012, 06:28:29 PM »
I know.  It isn't even in the US is it?  :dunno:

It really doesn't matter.  It is the image we get.  I was given the impression anyone remanded in custody could be thrown in there?

If so, i am sure it holds some weight on extradition matters as its reputation is so bad.

It's the military and the CIA running the place and as far as it not being in the US, Cuba is just 90 miles south of Florida. I do not believe they can send US citizens there but since all of this began they have been doing lots of things that they were not supposed to do in the name of "keeping the world safe" what a crock of shit that is.
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

midlifeaspie

« Reply #21 on: October 17, 2012, 02:32:39 PM »

An argument can be made that Gitmo isn't really a part of our judicial system, but rather executive power via the military run amok.

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #22 on: October 17, 2012, 10:57:11 PM »
To an outside observer, that is a mere technicality.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline bodie

• News Box Slave
  • Maniacal Postwhore
« Reply #23 on: October 18, 2012, 05:16:23 AM »
An argument can be made that Gitmo isn't really a part of our judicial system, but rather executive power via the military run amok.

Agreed it would not be seen as part of your system to US citizens.  US citizens are not detained there.

If, you were not a US citizen and were facing extradition on a terrorist charge then i think Guantanamo would dominate your thoughts regarding how you would likely be treated by the US.
blah blah blah

Offline Al Swearegen

• Pussycat of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Always front on and in your face
« Reply #24 on: October 18, 2012, 06:58:44 AM »

Agreed it would not be seen as part of your system to US citizens.  US citizens are not detained there.

If, you were not a US citizen and were facing extradition on a terrorist charge then i think Guantanamo would dominate your thoughts regarding how you would likely be treated by the US.

True and it is a by the degrees thing. Petition for extradition of a non-US Citizen, once they are there, call them a terrorist (hold them as a terrorist in the Guantanemo Bay prison without trial (or miliatry trial if so) suspend any real rights, and then incarcerate them indefinitely.
Cite the Patriot Act if called on it and the protection of the sovreignty of the US as need be.
All of this is wrong and endorsed by the leaders of US explicitly and implicitly
I2 today is not i2 of yesteryear. It is a knitting circle. Those that participate be they nice or asshats know their place and the price to be there. Odeon is the overlord

.Benevolent if you toe the line.

Think it is I2 of old? Even Odeon is not so delusional as to think otherwise. He may on occasionally pretend otherwise but his base is that knitting circle.

Censoring/banning/restricting/moderating myself, Calanadale & Scrapheap were all not his finest moments.

How to apologise to Scrap

midlifeaspie

« Reply #25 on: October 18, 2012, 12:51:39 PM »
You won't see me defending Gitmo.  I voted for the guy who promised to shut it down.  Can't help that he turned out to be different than advertised.

TheoK

« Reply #26 on: October 18, 2012, 01:17:55 PM »
They all are.

Offline Al Swearegen

• Pussycat of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Always front on and in your face
« Reply #27 on: October 18, 2012, 09:48:37 PM »
You won't see me defending Gitmo.  I voted for the guy who promised to shut it down.  Can't help that he turned out to be different than advertised.

Yup. I am not trying to do a soapbox rant, just trying to show what other countries look at with extraditions and such. It is not the US citizen's fault it is the higher echelons of US policy makers and military.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2012, 06:50:23 AM by Al Swearengen »
I2 today is not i2 of yesteryear. It is a knitting circle. Those that participate be they nice or asshats know their place and the price to be there. Odeon is the overlord

.Benevolent if you toe the line.

Think it is I2 of old? Even Odeon is not so delusional as to think otherwise. He may on occasionally pretend otherwise but his base is that knitting circle.

Censoring/banning/restricting/moderating myself, Calanadale & Scrapheap were all not his finest moments.

How to apologise to Scrap

Offline TA

• Rage Filled Brain of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore
  • Face my Squirrely Wrath!
« Reply #28 on: October 19, 2012, 04:19:46 PM »
The use of AS in this case, just no

However, the US is out of their jurisdiction and they need to, as the English say, "Get Stuffed".

Besides, if you can't beat them, hire them.
The stupidity of humanity FILLS ME WITH RAGE!

Offline Lestat

• Pharmaceutical dustbin of the autie elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Homo stercore veteris, heterodiem
« Reply #29 on: October 27, 2012, 06:08:06 AM »
He has suffered enough.

And as for the US judicial system, its fucked up, we brits have it bad enough as it is, but US 'justice'  appears to be anything but just.
Beyond the pale. Way, way beyond the pale.

Requiescat in pacem, Wolfish, beloved of Pyraxis.