Educational

Poll

Should McKinnon be extradited to US to face trial?

Yes
No
No he should be offered a job by them instead.

Author Topic: Should the UK extradite computer hacker to the US?  (Read 653 times)

Offline bodie

• Reflective Katoptronaphiliac of the Aspie Elite
  • News Box Slave
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • busy re arranging deck chairs on board the Titanic
Should the UK extradite computer hacker to the US?
« on: October 16, 2012, 05:42:24 AM »
Just to familiarise you:

from wikipedia
McKinnon is accused of hacking into 97 United States military and NASA computers over a 13-month period between February 2001 and March 2002, at his girlfriend's aunt's house in London, using the name 'Solo'.

The US authorities claim he deleted critical files from operating systems, which shut down the US Army’s Military District of Washington network of 2,000 computers for 24 hours. McKinnon also posted a notice on the military's website: "Your security is crap". After the September 11 attacks, he deleted weapons logs at the Earle Naval Weapons Station, rendering its network of 300 computers inoperable and paralyzing munitions supply deliveries for the US Navy's Atlantic Fleet. McKinnon is also accused of copying data, account files and passwords onto his own computer. US authorities claim the cost of tracking and correcting the problems he caused was over $700,000.

It has since come to light this guy has AssBurgers.  I don't think that should make any difference to the decision.  It is something that a jury and a judge could consider in mitigation. 

I don't think he should be extradited to America.  I think he should stand trial here.  He has never set foot in America, and his crime was committed here.  He faces upto 60 years in prison in the US, which is disproportionate to his crime.  He would also face a hostile jury.

If found guilty in UK i don't think he should go to prison.  I heard his mum talking on the radio,  he has had ten years of hell.  He is on a curfew, he reports daily to a police station, other restrictions mean he has no access to a computer or the internet.  His mum said he has no outlet.  I believe his suffering  is great and has already taken up ten years of his life.

Why did he do it?  He says to investigate UFO's.  I think it is simpler than this -  he did it because HE COULD!  It went on over 12 months and many visits.  If you found you could access your governments military computer system...and did so undetected..wouldn't you return again and again!?

I understand why the US is pissed.  I really do.  It was piss poor timing.  I think they are understandably embarrassed by some Brit with a disability hacking their systems.  So they should be. 

Personally,  i think it would be refreshing if they offered him a job instead :o
blah blah blah

TheoK

Re: Should the UK extradite computer hacker to the US?
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2012, 06:25:22 AM »
He should be rewarded instead.

Besides, things like this are charades. He cannot reach any really important stuff via the internet.

Offline Al Swearegen

• Pussycat of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Always front on and in your face
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2012, 06:52:03 AM »
Hell no he should not.
It is worth considering that when you consider jail time for things lik rape and such that 60 years is not only ridiculous in comparison but showing a fundamentally skewed morality in the legal system.
Also and my apologies to whomever it may offend but like the Assange case these peopel are not US Citizens and although the US authorityies would like to class them as such and suspend their rights as terrorists under their Patriot Act, they are not and ought not.
US ought to protect and police THEIR citizens but are not the world police and ought not demand such things to govern others.
I2 today is not i2 of yesteryear. It is a knitting circle. Those that participate be they nice or asshats know their place and the price to be there. Odeon is the overlord

.Benevolent if you toe the line.

Think it is I2 of old? Even Odeon is not so delusional as to think otherwise. He may on occasionally pretend otherwise but his base is that knitting circle.

Censoring/banning/restricting/moderating myself, Calanadale & Scrapheap were all not his finest moments.

How to apologise to Scrap

Offline Adam

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2012, 12:21:45 PM »
No, he shouldn't be extradited and I'm glad he's not going to be

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2012, 12:31:27 PM »
No just shoot him :zoinks:

I am sure if he is convicted of breaking laws in the UK they can handle the situation.  That being said I would think he would be a valuable asset both in improving security and on the offensive side of cyber warfare if handled correctly.
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

midlifeaspie

« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2012, 12:43:30 PM »
Absolutely.  If you challenge the Empire, the Empire will Strike Back.

:vader:

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2012, 01:16:58 PM »
No, he shouldn't. He's not a US citizen and he's never been there.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline bodie

• Reflective Katoptronaphiliac of the Aspie Elite
  • News Box Slave
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • busy re arranging deck chairs on board the Titanic
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2012, 02:08:59 PM »
I am really pleased the Home Secretary, Theresa May has blocked his extradition today.  She may have a face like a robbers dog and wear an expression like she has just been fucked with a frosty mop but she made the right decision today.  :thumbup:

I don't think many Americans realise the rest of the world does not look upto its judicial system. 
blah blah blah

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Invincible Heisenweeble of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore Beyond Teh Stupid
  • You're goddamn right.
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2012, 02:13:46 PM »
I am really pleased the Home Secretary, Theresa May has blocked his extradition today.  She may have a face like a robbers dog and wear an expression like she has just been fucked with a frosty mop but she made the right decision today.  :thumbup:

I don't think many Americans realise the rest of the world does not look upto its judicial system.

I wouldn't want to see McKinnon serve 60 years when murderers and
  child molesters get less.  I don't unconditionally support our judicial system.  :apondering:
"I'm finding a lot of things funny lately, but I don't think they are."
--- Ripley, Alien Resurrection

"We are grateful for the time we have been given."
--- Edward Walker, The Village

People forget.
--- The Who, "Eminence Front"

midlifeaspie

« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2012, 02:22:08 PM »

Well, our judicial system is unique in the world.  We are a common law system where most of the world uses a civil code system.  Only the US uses this system.  No, wait, sorry, almost forgot.  Only the UK and it's former colonies use this system.  Oh yeah, it isn't even our system.  It came from the Brits.

:chores:

TheoK

« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2012, 02:24:14 PM »
I don't think it's the system being a common law system but having quite bizarre laws and punishments and also the attitude by those running the system  :asthing:

Offline Icequeen

• News Box Slave
  • Insane Postwhore
  • I peopled today.
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2012, 02:26:47 PM »
Employee him. :thumbup:

midlifeaspie

« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2012, 02:43:53 PM »
I don't think it's the system being a common law system but having quite bizarre laws and punishments and also the attitude by those running the system  :asthing:

Most of the "bizarre laws and punishments" come from the common law, not the civil code.  As such, they were inherited from England.  That's the only point I was trying to make :)

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Invincible Heisenweeble of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore Beyond Teh Stupid
  • You're goddamn right.
« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2012, 02:46:48 PM »

Most of the "bizarre laws and punishments" come from the common law, not the civil code.  As such, they were inherited from England.  That's the only point I was trying to make :)

Blame the English!  Invade the UK and steal all their fish and chips!    :arrr:
"I'm finding a lot of things funny lately, but I don't think they are."
--- Ripley, Alien Resurrection

"We are grateful for the time we have been given."
--- Edward Walker, The Village

People forget.
--- The Who, "Eminence Front"

midlifeaspie

« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2012, 02:49:01 PM »

Blame the English!  Invade the UK and steal all their fish and chips!    :arrr:

We have already kicked their asses a few times  :viking:

Then saved their asses a few more  :viking:

We like to keep them around now, as no other country has an equal rubber stamp for our imperialistic intentions.   :mischief: