Author Topic: Honesty is key, yet when I'm too honest  (Read 1957 times)

Offline Genesis

• The impostor who isn't from Old Country formerly known as Soviet Union
  • News Box Slave
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • The Blogger Was Here
    • Night Owl Redux
Re: Honesty is key, yet when I'm too honest
« Reply #60 on: October 01, 2012, 11:20:17 PM »
I am still confused. What were you honest about that led to things being scary?

I'm too honest with my opinion and whats really scary is when people take it as offense.
No you are not. You will not even state anything definite.  :thumbdn:

It happens in real life.... when a little girl was singing the national anthem at work (I work at a minor league ballpark during baseball season) I was brutally honest with her singing, that I said something along the lines "She sucks" and most people laughed.... meh :(

Offline Natalia Evans

• Spokane Tour Guide of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #61 on: October 01, 2012, 11:39:07 PM »
I think it's better when people laugh than getting mad. Then you don't feel bad.

P7PSP

« Reply #62 on: October 02, 2012, 07:33:47 AM »
How old are you Gen? Were you actually surprised that saying that about a young child's effort received a negative response? A s p I e does not have to = complete stupidity. If too honest means unnecessary rudeness than I can damn near guarantee you will get the same negative response pretty much everywhere you choose to share your honesty.

Offline ProfessorFarnsworth

• Mad scientist at work
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Good news everyone!
« Reply #63 on: October 02, 2012, 08:56:07 AM »
He's lucky the kid or the parents didn't hear them say that. But then again considering how gossips spreads, they'll likely find out sooner or later.

However exemptions do apply if it was that atrociously bad, that in the rarest possibility the parents even agree lol.
Existence actually has two broad meanings despite its apparent meaningless. The constant reconciliation of all its parts, and the conservation of any closed system as a whole.

Morality can be extrapolated from these meanings to make these two commandments of godless morality: 1). Be in harmony with one another and 2). Care for the environment.

midlifeaspie

« Reply #64 on: October 02, 2012, 10:25:03 AM »
I'd happily punch an ass-pie for that

Offline Natalia Evans

• Spokane Tour Guide of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #65 on: October 02, 2012, 11:50:42 AM »
How old are you Gen? Were you actually surprised that saying that about a young child's effort received a negative response? A s p I e does not have to = complete stupidity. If too honest means unnecessary rudeness than I can damn near guarantee you will get the same negative response pretty much everywhere you choose to share your honesty.

Unfortunately I am one of those aspies that do say things like that. Maybe saying "She isn't very good at it" or "She sounds horrible" "she needs more practice" be better? I try to think of better things to say and still be honest than being brutally honest. I have had "fat" slipped out of my mouth a few times after I knew it's rude to call people fat and it just came right out without even thinking and that person be around when I said it about them. Then I be embarrassed every time and then I get over it quick when no one be mad. I think it's more of an ADD thing for me because they say things without thinking and they know what they are saying is rude but it comes right out before they could even stop it (it's like Tourette's) while aspies don't know what they are saying is rude so they have no way of thinking before saying it. I used to have that problem more as a child and I had little control over it and now I have lot of control over it. Occasionally I slip up. One time online I said to my aspie friend "maybe it's because you're fat" and I saw the word I typed and I deleted it and thought of a better way of saying it so I said "Maybe it's because of your size" and he knew what I was thinking because he said "I am not fat Beth."

What is the point in political correctness if people are going to know what you mean? But thank god for internet because you can see what you type and delete it before you send it. But if it were real life, that may have just came right out of my mouth and it be too late because I had already said it and then caught myself. Same as if we were talking on the phone.

But luckily people laugh at what I say too so I don't let it bother me. But lot of the times they won't even tell me why they are laughing so I can't even learn from it. Are they laughing because I was cute or funny or did I say something wrong, was I honest or are they laughing at me? If it's nice people, I don't assume they are laughing at me.

I think aspies out there that do say rude things intentionally or say things they know would offend or may upset someone because it's their honest opinion, not AS. I also don't see it as a social problem either like they claim it to be and also blaming it on their AS. I do agree with some people who think people use AS to say whatever they want.

But no doubt there are aspies out there who do actually say rude things like that and go insulting people to their faces like calling them stupid and not actually know they are being mean nor insulting but they be in the minority. Just like only 10% of people with Tourette's yell profanity and racial slurs due to their tics. John Robison was one of those aspies that say insulting rude things to people like "No you fool." But he doesn't do it anymore because he learned. I learned too but at a lot younger age than him. In his "Look me in the Eye", he wrote rude things like "Stupid kid" about his brother and saying his brother was an accident. But I figured he was talking from back then, what he thought back then vs now. I didn't know saying kids were accidents was a horrible thing to say either. I learned just from reading online and people really react to hearing they were an accident or when people say a kid was an accident, same as calling them a mistake. People ignore the context the words are being used in and only react to their emotions and think emotionally than logically. They wouldn't care what you meant and what context it's used in, they would only care about the word and judge you for it and assume you mean what it means to them than what you meant by it. But yet I have seen mothers say online about their kids like "She was the best accident ever" "She was the best mistake ever" But yet no one seems to react to that. Meh.

Offline Genesis

• News Box Slave
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • The Blogger Was Here
    • Night Owl Redux
« Reply #66 on: October 02, 2012, 09:04:19 PM »

I know that.... its just I'm not as stupid as you might think I am....

and one more thing....

How old do you think I am?

Offline Callaway

• Official Spokesperson for the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #67 on: October 02, 2012, 09:25:58 PM »

and one more thing....

Early 20's?

P7PSP

« Reply #68 on: October 02, 2012, 09:26:42 PM »

Of course you aren't.  :tard: But if you really aren't

and one more thing....

Chronologically or functionally?

Offline Genesis

• News Box Slave
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • The Blogger Was Here
    • Night Owl Redux
« Reply #69 on: October 02, 2012, 09:32:58 PM »

Of course you aren't.  :tard: But if you really aren't

and one more thing....

Chronologically or functionally?

Both?

Offline Genesis

• News Box Slave
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • The Blogger Was Here
    • Night Owl Redux
« Reply #70 on: October 02, 2012, 09:35:31 PM »
I'm mature when I want to be.... yet when I'm not.... it just leads to consequences.....

Offline Genesis

• News Box Slave
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • The Blogger Was Here
    • Night Owl Redux
« Reply #71 on: October 02, 2012, 09:39:58 PM »

and one more thing....

Early 20's?

P7PSP

« Reply #72 on: October 03, 2012, 07:43:41 AM »
I'm mature when I want to be.... yet when I'm not.... it just leads to consequences.....
In other breaking news touching a hot stove can burn your hand. How would you avoid a burned hand in that case?

midlifeaspie

« Reply #73 on: October 03, 2012, 08:46:57 AM »

That sounds like the title of your next thread.

I've noticed that when I drop things, they fall in a downward direction.

Offline 'andersom'

• Pure Chocolate Bovine PIMP of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • well known as hyke.
« Reply #74 on: October 03, 2012, 03:26:25 PM »

That sounds like the title of your next thread.

I've noticed that when I drop things, they fall in a downward direction.

Wonder and bewilderment as the start of science.  :laugh:
I can do upside down chocolate moo things!