Author Topic: Why do people boast and brag...  (Read 999 times)

TheoK

Why do people boast and brag...
« on: August 03, 2012, 05:51:04 AM »
...about being able to speak English? It isn't a very difficult language, which is also proven by the fact that about half the population of the planet can speak understandable English to some degree.

You can boast and brag about being able to speak Old Greek and Latin and even French and German (though in that case you should at least be able to quote French or German authors and philosophers correctly), but boasting and bragging about English is just stupid.  :thumbdn:

Give more examples of stupid things that people feel "pride" about.

Offline Lestat

• Pharmaceutical dustbin of the autie elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Homo stercore veteris, heterodiem
Re: Why do people boast and brag...
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2012, 06:55:33 AM »
Neurotypicality, towards spesh people.

I find boasting pretty pathetic usually. There are things worth feeling pride over, and that do give some boasting rights, achievements. When people just go all out to make themselves feel like the big man to others, thats just wierd and stupid.

What else....

Islam. I've noticed that many of the very dirtiest pakis boast about how 'good' a muslim they are, and how islamic they are. As if its some sort of achievement to wank themselves off over allah, sort of as if they feel somehow special about being another one of the god knows how many billion muslims there are on the face of the earth there are. Other religions are guilty of the same, but islamites seem particularly prone to this particular sickness. It strikes me as strange, when religious people boast of how much more religious they think themselves to be compared to others of the same (or different) religions.

Hey everybody! look at me, look how much I believe in my personal favourite fairytale. Not sure if I find hardcore atheist boasting more, or less pathetic, or pathetic to the same degree as religiomania, but I find it pretty stupid.
Beyond the pale. Way, way beyond the pale.

Requiescat in pacem, Wolfish, beloved of Pyraxis.

Offline ShyOne

• Elder
  • Intense Poster
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2012, 07:23:54 AM »
Being LGBT. Who cares if you are gay, yes there are some places that discriminate against you and that but on the whole you're pretty much accepted. Loads of people have come out now, yes it used to be a big thing to be gay but now it's so normal. So what if you're a guy who likes guys - does it make you better than a straight person? No. Does it make you unusual? No. Are you really any different than a straight person? No.

People who go on and on about their sexuality make me wish I was straight. It's embarrassing to be associated with them. Surely there's more to their personalities than who they want to sleep with?

midlifeaspie

« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2012, 09:41:59 AM »
I can speak passable English and that makes me awesome.  I even have a degree in it.

TheoK

« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2012, 09:50:17 AM »
 :autism:

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Invincible Heisenweeble of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore Beyond Teh Stupid
  • You're goddamn right.
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2012, 05:35:40 PM »
I can speak passable English and that makes me awesome.  I even have a degree in it.

I speak awesome English but I don't have a degree in it.  I suck.  :bigcry:
"I'm finding a lot of things funny lately, but I don't think they are."
--- Ripley, Alien Resurrection

"We are grateful for the time we have been given."
--- Edward Walker, The Village

People forget.
--- The Who, "Eminence Front"

Offline earthboundmisfit

• Mayhem of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2012, 09:30:39 PM »

I talk English gooder than you.

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2012, 02:50:18 AM »
I writes English good.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

TheoK

« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2012, 02:51:38 AM »
 :indeed:

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2012, 02:52:21 AM »
I'm also very handsome. :zoinks:
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

TheoK

« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2012, 02:52:43 AM »
 :agreed:

Offline renaeden

• Complicated Case of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2012, 10:37:30 PM »
Me English good speak.

:green:
Mildly Cute in a Retarded Way
Tek'ma'tae

Offline Natalia Evans

• Spokane Tour Guide of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2012, 11:00:32 PM »
People bragging about their kids over stupid things. Like bragging about their newborns walking or taking their first step when all they are doing is holding their legs on the table and the muscle spasms is making them take steps and the parent moves them across the table or bragging about their child saying their first word when it was just a jibberish word and not a real word. I have seen so many silly brags on Babycenter by parents and to me that is not even a step they took nor a first word they spoke. Some people have made fun of those parents about it in some snarky threads by posting their exaggerating stories they would make up as a joke. I have also seen parents brag about their newborns smiling and I know that is not even a smile, that is just muscle spasms so it makes them smile.

Really, I do not understand the pride in this stuff that is so normal and not even a mildstone.

Offline Callaway

• Official Spokesperson for the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2012, 07:43:33 AM »
I have also seen parents brag about their newborns smiling and I know that is not even a smile, that is just muscle spasms so it makes them smile.

My daughter smiled a lot when she was just a few days old.  Even the doctors and nurses at the hospital noticed how much she smiled.

So there.  :smarty:

midlifeaspie

« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2012, 10:16:42 AM »
Really, I do not understand the pride in this stuff that is so normal and not even a mildstone.

I don't think any of us are surprised that you don't take pride in your child.  I wonder if the people raising him do.  I hope so.