Author Topic: Should religion be part of a childs upbringing?  (Read 1347 times)

Offline Adam

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
Re: Should religion be part of a childs upbringing?
« Reply #45 on: July 31, 2012, 12:37:08 PM »
Also showing respect to people and teaching morals is NOT religion. Morals predate religion and not being religious deosn't mean you have no right to opinions on how people should treat each other

Offline Adam

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #46 on: July 31, 2012, 12:38:19 PM »
Religion is a stinking sack of shit

TheoK

« Reply #47 on: July 31, 2012, 12:44:46 PM »
 :agreed: :indeed:

midlifeaspie

« Reply #48 on: July 31, 2012, 01:38:31 PM »
So that's not picking and choosing aspects of religion. I don't want ANY religion. That doesn't mean I can't celebrate holidays (which mean nothing to me in a religious sense and have been around long before their current religious association anyway)

Indeed.  Christmas was Yule co-opted.

midlifeaspie

« Reply #49 on: July 31, 2012, 01:40:51 PM »
Also showing respect to people and teaching morals is NOT religion. Morals predate religion and not being religious deosn't mean you have no right to opinions on how people should treat each other

As far as I am concerned, religion makes you less moral.  I do the right thing because it is the right thing to do, not because I am under the threat of a judging deity.  If you believe that crap then your actions can never be never pure and are ultimately selfish.

Offline Adam

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #50 on: July 31, 2012, 01:50:12 PM »
Exactly. I often read things by people asking "how can you have morals if you don't believe in god?"

That is astounding to me

How does it make someone a "good" person if they do good things because they're told to, or through fear of eternal punishment? Surely being a "good person" would be more valid if you have no godly threat to make you do it, but do it outof empathy and caring for others?

and contrary to what a lot of people think, human morality DOES predate religion. all the judeo-christian values people harp on about, are actually natural to us as social animals. And many are found in other primates too

TheoK

« Reply #51 on: July 31, 2012, 01:56:33 PM »
Exactly. I often read things by people asking "how can you have morals if you don't believe in god?"

That is astounding to me

How does it make someone a "good" person if they do good things because they're told to, or through fear of eternal punishment? Surely being a "good person" would be more valid if you have no godly threat to make you do it, but do it outof empathy and caring for others?

and contrary to what a lot of people think, human morality DOES predate religion. all the judeo-christian values people harp on about, are actually natural to us as social animals. And many are found in other primates too

People stupid enough to believe fairytales for adults can't be expected to grasp morality as a philosophical concept.

Offline Icequeen

• News Box Slave
  • Insane Postwhore
  • I peopled today.
« Reply #52 on: July 31, 2012, 02:07:39 PM »
If you trace the origins of the major holidays like Christmas, Easter, Thanksgiving...you will many of the traditions were pagan in origin and adopted by the Christians in the attempt to convert them.

So by picking and choosing the aspects I celebrate, I feel I' m doing no more than many have already did.

I celebrate Christmas as a time of giving, Thanksgiving because I am thankful for all that I have, Easter as the coming of Spring.
...and I'll have to agree with MLA on the issue of morals...I do things because they are the right thing to do, the hardest judgement for me comes from within.

Offline bodie

• Reflective Katoptronaphiliac of the Aspie Elite
  • News Box Slave
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • busy re arranging deck chairs on board the Titanic
« Reply #53 on: August 01, 2012, 05:18:36 AM »
Yes, and many atrocities have been committed in the name of religion.

Church of England was born because the King couldn't get a divorce from Rome - and then many Catholics were slaughtered because they didn't recognise it!   
blah blah blah

TheoK

« Reply #54 on: August 01, 2012, 06:38:23 AM »
Sweden became Protestant so that the King should be independent of Rome and also be able to confiscate property from the monasteries.

Offline Queen Victoria

• Ruler of Aspie Universe
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #55 on: August 01, 2012, 01:37:05 PM »
If you trace the origins of the major holidays like Christmas, Easter, Thanksgiving...you will many of the traditions were pagan in origin and adopted by the Christians in the attempt to convert them.

So by picking and choosing the aspects I celebrate, I feel I' m doing no more than many have already did.

I celebrate Christmas as a time of giving, Thanksgiving because I am thankful for all that I have, Easter as the coming of Spring.
...and I'll have to agree with MLA on the issue of morals...I do things because they are the right thing to do, the hardest judgement for me comes from within.

but isn't pagan an umbrella word for many religions not recognizing one G_d?
A good monarch is a treasure. A good politician is an oxymoron.

My brain is both uninhibited and uninhabited.

:qv:

TheoK

« Reply #56 on: August 01, 2012, 01:43:32 PM »
Religions were invented to control people from the very beginning. One proof of this is that "people in general" are pretty uninterested in astronomy, physics, chemistry, philosophy etc. They were of course even less so several thousand years ago. Thus it is obvious that gods were invented to impose a hierarchy on people.

Offline Queen Victoria

• Ruler of Aspie Universe
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #57 on: August 01, 2012, 01:48:01 PM »
Religions were invented to control people from the very beginning. One proof of this is that "people in general" are pretty uninterested in astronomy, physics, chemistry, philosophy etc. They were of course even less so several thousand years ago. Thus it is obvious that gods were invented to impose a hierarchy on people.

Maybe uninterested in the higher aspects of these, but they were interested in
Astronomy - sun rise and set to get up and go to sleep, full moon for hunting, planting, etc.
Physics - how to make a weapon fly farther, how to make fire
Chemistry - cooking is chemistry as well as physics
Philosophy - IDK, because I have no real idea what philosophy is about.  And at my age I really don't have to know.
A good monarch is a treasure. A good politician is an oxymoron.

My brain is both uninhibited and uninhabited.

:qv:

Offline bodie

• Reflective Katoptronaphiliac of the Aspie Elite
  • News Box Slave
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • busy re arranging deck chairs on board the Titanic
« Reply #58 on: August 01, 2012, 01:52:12 PM »
Pagan's recognise many Gods, as well as spiritual beings.  Yes, it is an umbrella term and it includes Druids, Heathens and many other groups.

They are not Christian. 
blah blah blah

TheoK

« Reply #59 on: August 01, 2012, 01:53:54 PM »
But no religion will tell you any scientific facts about that.

The gods are also identical with one another over a very large geographical area; Thor, Jupiter, Zeus and Indra are in principle the same god, for instance.