Author Topic: Reddit’s “What Secret Could Ruin Your Life if It Came Out?” Thread  (Read 1605 times)

Offline El

• Unofficial Weird News Reporter of the Aspie Elite
  • News Box Slave
  • Almighty Postwhore
Quote from:
A recent AskReddit thread titled Throwaway time! What’s your secret that could literally ruin your life if it came out? got people creating temporary accounts, then confessing their deepest, darkest secrets. The results ranged from creepy-but-cute, to fascinating, to horrifying.

I hope to walk you through that gigantic thread, because there were so many weird confessions, and browsing the comments on Reddit is time-consuming. Consider this a highlight reel of car crashes, I guess. I’m your Virgil, guiding you through Hell and Purgatory. I’m not condoning any of this, but I’ll be damned if it wasn’t fascinating.

Another thing about this thread: It’s uncommon to see this level of honesty anywhere. People created (relatively) anonymous accounts and dumped their secrets onto the internet for everyone to see, with many posters saying they’d never shared their secrets with anyone before. This thread was exhausting to read, and with recent research suggesting that we, as people, carry secrets not just as emotional burdens, but as physical ones as well, at least now I understand why.

From here on out, things are about to get dark and/or gross. Don’t say we didn’t warn you.  Read the whole thing here.

it is well known that PMS Elle is evil.
I think you'd fit in a 12" or at least a 16" firework mortar
You win this thread because that's most unsettling to even think about.

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Invincible Heisenweeble of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore Beyond Teh Stupid
  • You're goddamn right.
 When I was 13, I owned, and wore, a disco scarf.  Please don't tell anybody!  :-[
"I'm finding a lot of things funny lately, but I don't think they are."
--- Ripley, Alien Resurrection

"We are grateful for the time we have been given."
--- Edward Walker, The Village

People forget.
--- The Who, "Eminence Front"

Offline Zippo

• psychotic J-DAM of the aspie elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore
  • Click, Click, BOOM!
i once had sex with a sheep.

i know someones going to quote this and its going to come back and bite me in the ass later.

Zippo, Shotgun Surgeon.
if theres bees in the trap im catching them, by the thorax and abdomen. and sanding there stingers down to a rough quill. then i dip em in ink and i scribble a bit, and if the wriggle than i tickle them until they hold still, let me say it again, in my land of pretend, i use bees as a mother fucking pen!

Offline Queen Victoria

• Ruler of Aspie Universe
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore

i know someones going to quote this and its going to come back and bite me in the ass later.

Don't worry.  If the sheep does come back and bite you in the ass you can't catch anything from a sheepbite.  Now cows on the other hand............
A good monarch is a treasure. A good politician is an oxymoron.

My brain is both uninhibited and uninhabited.

:qv:

Offline Zippo

• Elder
  • Postwhore
  • Click, Click, BOOM!

Don't worry.  If the sheep does come back and bite you in the ass you can't catch anything from a sheepbite.  Now cows on the other hand............

oh i invite the resedent cow to bite me on the ass... after all i doubt shes desiesed. i dont think she is the town bycicle.

Zippo, Shotgun Surgeon.
if theres bees in the trap im catching them, by the thorax and abdomen. and sanding there stingers down to a rough quill. then i dip em in ink and i scribble a bit, and if the wriggle than i tickle them until they hold still, let me say it again, in my land of pretend, i use bees as a mother fucking pen!

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Invincible Heisenweeble of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore Beyond Teh Stupid
  • You're goddamn right.

oh i invite the resedent cow to bite me on the ass... after all i doubt shes desiesed. i dont think she is the town bycicle.

It's human bites you have to watch out for, they are the dirtiest!  :nerd!:
"I'm finding a lot of things funny lately, but I don't think they are."
--- Ripley, Alien Resurrection

"We are grateful for the time we have been given."
--- Edward Walker, The Village

People forget.
--- The Who, "Eminence Front"

Offline Zippo

• Elder
  • Postwhore
  • Click, Click, BOOM!

It's human bites you have to watch out for, they are the dirtiest!  :nerd!:

its true!

Zippo, Shotgun Surgeon.

Offline Kapkao

• If it's Godunov for you it's good enough for me
  • Elder
  • Postwhore
I wonder if any of these anonymous posters realize a 'confession' of a crime is hardly enough to convict a person with.

It doesn't establish a guilty criminal "beyond reasonable doubt" because of how easy it is to give a false confession to protect a friend or to put Double Jeopardy into effect by the time the cops and feds figure out you aren't the actual perp behind a given crime. So... confessions are rarely enough to go to trial.

Frankly, if I killed someone because they abused me or did something I took violent exception to, I wouldn't bother with concealing my identity before confessing about it.

As it happens, I have nothing on my hands, not even a single drop of blood. Doesn't mean I couldn't take part in an event like this, but I've yet to kill or let anyone die from their own illness.

Offline Icequeen

• News Box Slave
  • Insane Postwhore
  • I peopled today.

Offline Peter

• Amazing Cyber-Human Hybrid
  • Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
I approve of this.
14:10 - Moarskrillex42: She said something about knowing why I wanted to move to Glasgow when she came in. She plopped down on my bed and told me to go ahead and open it for her.

14:11 - Peter5930: So, she thought I was your lover and that I was sending you a box full of sex toys, and that you wanted to move to Glasgow to be with me?

Offline Jesse

• My mirror shows black (Otherwise known as nigger)
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • where mountains throne
I read a little bit of it.
:skywarp:

Offline Callaway

• Official Spokesperson for the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
That story about the landlord's son who had stuffed a rag in the end of the water heater vent but forgot to remove it and the whole house died of CO poisoning was really interesting, especially when someone looked up the story online and found that someone had accidentally left the car running in the garage and that was the cause of the CO poisoning, not him leaving the rag stuffed in the water heater vent.  He had been blaming himself for the tragedy.

Offline Peter

• Amazing Cyber-Human Hybrid
  • Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
I've got 2,226 comments left to read.
14:10 - Moarskrillex42: She said something about knowing why I wanted to move to Glasgow when she came in. She plopped down on my bed and told me to go ahead and open it for her.

14:11 - Peter5930: So, she thought I was your lover and that I was sending you a box full of sex toys, and that you wanted to move to Glasgow to be with me?

TheoK

Re: Reddit’s “What Secret Could Ruin Your Life if It Came Out?” Thread
« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2012, 01:49:09 PM »
That I'm a Bolshevik in disguise :toporly:

Offline Trigger 11

• Dark Jedi Master
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • May the FORCE be with you...always!!!
Re: Reddit’s “What Secret Could Ruin Your Life if It Came Out?” Thread
« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2012, 05:18:25 PM »
Being someone who basically doen't give a shit about his own image, there is nothing I have done in my life that I feel would ruin me. Mistakes? Sure! But I own my mistakes.

Now if anybody wants to use me to do somwthing that would embarrass them horribly, just give me a call:

1-212-498-1043
Crazy, I'm halfway to crazy
Suicide would waste me
Homicide would break me
Tongue tied and tied to the tongue
Tongue tied and tied to the tongue
Oh, is life as bad as dreams
I guess that's just the way it seems