Author Topic: Labeling genetically modified foods initiative gets on california ballot.  (Read 941 times)

P7PSP

I had a minor role as a volunteer signature gatherer getting this on the California ballot in the upcoming November election so I am happy to see we got it done. Now we need to discuss it with family and friends so that people know what they are voting on. http://www.laist.com/2012/04/23/californians_will_likely_vote_on_ge_food_labeling.php Unfortunately the rally in San Francisco takes place the same day I fly out to Sydney so I doubt I will make it.

I just changed the link to one that works.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2012, 10:54:47 PM by PPK »

midlifeaspie

Give me your pitch.  Why should I care?

Offline ProfessorFarnsworth

• Mad scientist at work
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Good news everyone!
The biggest concern of GM food products in my opinion is that such genetic modification may end up having plant/animal life subjected to it producing unnatural proteins, which could pose a potential health hazard long term (worse case being cancer). Then there's the risk of new types of diseases adapting to GM pest-resistant products with no person having natural immunity to them. I would put GM on par with nuclear technology in terms of level of trust. Great if it all works fine, absolutely catastrophic to life if it doesn't.

So knowing what foods have it would be a good thing. Especially if someone is health conscious enough to consider such long term risks and avoid GM products.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2012, 12:46:33 AM by CommanderShepard »
Existence actually has two broad meanings despite its apparent meaningless. The constant reconciliation of all its parts, and the conservation of any closed system as a whole.

Morality can be extrapolated from these meanings to make these two commandments of godless morality: 1). Be in harmony with one another and 2). Care for the environment.

P7PSP

I am not going to bother telling you what you should care about. The reason I care is because I want to know if some synthetic laboratory produced shit is in my food. Like the case of the pink slime. It is not a GMO but it has been being sold as hamburger for 20 years with people being kept in the dark. I have determined that I don't want to eat that shit so I have cut hamburger out of my diet. This article http://www.distributistreview.com/mag/2011/02/roadside-gmo-corn/ explains my concerns better than I can.

As for reasons that corporations should not be allowed to keep the public in the dark about activities that can directly affect public health I offer the following:
1. Thalidomide was given to pregnant women and was considered safe until it was determined to be a teratogen. By that time a lot of children had been born with severe birth defects.
2. Times Beach Missouri was contaminated with dioxins throughout the 1970s. Evacuated in 1983 and became a superfund cleanup site.
3. Minimata disease resulting from the Chisso Corporation polluting the water with methylmercury.
4. Bhopal India 1984.
The first two examples do not relate to the food supply but mercury accumulating in fish did directly affect the food supply. Methyl mercury was a by product of production of acetaldehyde and related chemicals in Minamata and used to prevent algae growth on logs floated down the rivers elsewhere. Minamata was the most extreme case known to date of mercury as a teratogen and causing brain and nervous system disorders in those already born.

When Genetech produces cancer drugs using recombinant DNA these drugs have been thoroughly tested (we hope) and vetted by the FDA and are used in a monitored setting to try and cure various cancers. When Monsanto puts corn and other GMO products on grocer's shelves there is no way at present for people here in the US to know what they are buying and putting into there bodies.

Do you want to know if your children are eating BT corn?

Offline Jesse

• My mirror shows black (Otherwise known as nigger)
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • where mountains throne
Dude it is scary. I mean, Like parts already said, You you see all the crap they add into food. you cant get away from it, Unless you want to grow like your own garden. I have to admit i dont read labels mostely because I have to buy on the fritz. the way i see it is I'm just going to enjoy what i eat now. I'm not fat so if i eat a bag of chips, or have a cupcake i wont feel guilty about it
:skywarp:

P7PSP

I know what you mean Richard. People at the lower end of the economic scale are less able to be choosy about what they eat. And potentially dodgy additives are better than starving. Are you going to be able to have a garden in Arizona?

Offline Jesse

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • where mountains throne
omg no.  :laugh: Its gonna suck but i know where to get a healthy meal. the flagstaff family foodbank on the east side of town, :blonde:

When are you leaving for aus? do you think the food will be different over seas?

P7PSP

omg no.  :laugh: Its gonna suck but i know where to get a healthy meal. the flagstaff family foodbank on the east side of town, :blonde:

When are you leaving for aus? do you think the food will be different over seas?
Wednesday. I suspect it will but I am interested in seeing what is available. I hope I can find good fish and chips. I found a place in Canterbury that had outstanding fish and chips and hamburgers as good as the best I have found it the states. There was another place in Canterbury that had an excellent Malaysian chicken soup. Here is the former. I love Canterbury.

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Invincible Heisenweeble of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore Beyond Teh Stupid
  • You're goddamn right.
    ^ I assume you went to Mass before having the fish and chips, young man.   :pope:
"I'm finding a lot of things funny lately, but I don't think they are."
--- Ripley, Alien Resurrection

"We are grateful for the time we have been given."
--- Edward Walker, The Village

People forget.
--- The Who, "Eminence Front"

P7PSP

Nope. It wasn't even Friday.  :zoinks:

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Invincible Heisenweeble of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore Beyond Teh Stupid
  • You're goddamn right.
Nope. It wasn't even Friday.  :zoinks:

You can attend Mass any day, and indeed you should.  :M
"I'm finding a lot of things funny lately, but I don't think they are."
--- Ripley, Alien Resurrection

"We are grateful for the time we have been given."
--- Edward Walker, The Village

People forget.
--- The Who, "Eminence Front"

Offline Jesse

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • where mountains throne
Malaysian chicken soup.
That actually sounds really fucking good. I love tai food so I bet its spicy. yummy  :laugh:
Good luck to you ppk. I dont know if you'll have internet access over there so we might not see much of you here.
plus in june i'll be gone from the www.  :GA:

Offline Zippo

• psychotic J-DAM of the aspie elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore
  • Click, Click, BOOM!

put a pot of those baby carrots on your window cill. i once did a pot with my grandma as a kid... the carrots were sprouting in 2 days and full grown in about a week and a half [was a hot week] i kept them drenched in water.

its easy and it at least makes for a nice snack if you get the right seed. its not hard to do and it is inexpensive.

Zippo, Shotgun Surgeon.
if theres bees in the trap im catching them, by the thorax and abdomen. and sanding there stingers down to a rough quill. then i dip em in ink and i scribble a bit, and if the wriggle than i tickle them until they hold still, let me say it again, in my land of pretend, i use bees as a mother fucking pen!

Offline Kapkao

• If it's Godunov for you it's good enough for me
  • Elder
  • Postwhore
I am not going to bother telling you what you should care about. The reason I care is because I want to know if some synthetic laboratory produced shit is in my food.

A few of your family members (distant or otherwise) were likely made possible with some "synthetic laboratory produced shit".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Artificial_insemination
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Surrogate_pregnancy

There's also the hotly discussed issue of "designer babies" or (more to the point) "Designer HUMANS"
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Designer_baby

It seems worth pointing out, largely imagined and easy enough to test for health issues aside.

Quote from: Cmdr Shepard
The biggest concern of GM food products in my opinion is that such genetic modification may end up having plant/animal life subjected to it producing unnatural proteins

Guess what! Most of the concerns your largely unimformed 1st post brings up can be removed by science. ISN'T THAT GREAT?!

:evillaugh:

Offline ProfessorFarnsworth

• Mad scientist at work
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Good news everyone!
Quote from: Cmdr Shepard
The biggest concern of GM food products in my opinion is that such genetic modification may end up having plant/animal life subjected to it producing unnatural proteins

Guess what! Most of the concerns your largely unimformed 1st post brings up can be removed by science. ISN'T THAT GREAT?!

:evillaugh:

Oh really? Then enlighten us on how you would stop a reproducing genetic modified organism (which may have a genetic flaw of producing a protein harmful to human life) when it cross pollinates with the native population to form hybrids carrying this flaw? You could burn/poison it all but then where are you going to find viable alternatives to compensate for the loss in production (and how can you be certain it's truly destroyed)? You could engineer another genetic modification to combat it, but how certain will it be to eliminate the threat in a acceptable time frame or accidentally create yet another threat? You could develop a medicine for human consumption but then what are the side effects of it? Would it inhibit similar structured healthy proteins too? Then there's the risk v.s benefit argument once you do come up with a solution, is it worth risking intervention it or letting it ride out it's course?

By the time a solution comes it's already too late, people are sick or dying if you fucked up.

Of course some of the companies in GM product have taken measures to sterilize their product so it can't breed, which is supposed to be a flawless preventive measure. But then again cross pollination has already happened despite that...

So yeah, I beg to differ and think you're grossly uninformed on the entire subject and just saying shit to solicit a response. You got one. :zoinks:
« Last Edit: April 30, 2012, 01:17:36 AM by CommanderShepard »
Existence actually has two broad meanings despite its apparent meaningless. The constant reconciliation of all its parts, and the conservation of any closed system as a whole.

Morality can be extrapolated from these meanings to make these two commandments of godless morality: 1). Be in harmony with one another and 2). Care for the environment.