Educational

Author Topic: Troll jailed for racist comment  (Read 4424 times)

Offline bodie

• Reflective Katoptronaphiliac of the Aspie Elite
  • News Box Slave
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • busy re arranging deck chairs on board the Titanic
Re: Troll jailed for racist comment
« Reply #60 on: March 30, 2012, 12:20:14 AM »
The media have incorrectly labelled him as a troll.  A troll is someone who expresses an opinion to stir up trouble.  I think Schleed said it earlier,  like an athiest on a religious site.

This guy just made a few tweets.

Bail is something granted while you await your trial.  Once sentence has been passed there is no 'bail'.
blah blah blah

Offline Meadow

• Delicate Flower of the Autie Elite
  • Postwhore
« Reply #61 on: March 30, 2012, 12:53:42 AM »
It's always the fault of alcohol, or something else. He'll be fine and probably capitalize on his publicity. Negative publicity works well that way and lots of sympathizers too. I don't feel sorry for him at all.

Offline J_R

• Part of the Chaos
« Reply #62 on: March 30, 2012, 01:58:50 AM »
It's always the fault of alcohol, or something else. He'll be fine and probably capitalize on his publicity. Negative publicity works well that way and lots of sympathizers too. I don't feel sorry for him at all.

I don't feel sorry for him either, but I still think that jail time for nothing more than words is a bit ridiculous.
Walk around me not before me, I'll pretend not to ignore ye
But I'll compromise if I realize you can do something for me
I'm ugly and you know it, but you think that I'm a poet
So I'll keep the rhyme if I feel in time, it gets me where I'm going

Flogging Molly, "Selfish Man"

Offline Meadow

• Delicate Flower of the Autie Elite
  • Postwhore
« Reply #63 on: March 30, 2012, 02:30:10 AM »

I don't feel sorry for him either, but I still think that jail time for nothing more than words is a bit ridiculous.

The relatives who thought they were losing their child during all that think it's fair, undoubtedly. A few days in jail isn't going to hurt him and I personally think it's fair under the circumstances.

Offline J_R

• Part of the Chaos
« Reply #64 on: March 30, 2012, 02:36:50 AM »

The relatives who thought they were losing their child during all that think it's fair, undoubtedly. A few days in jail isn't going to hurt him and I personally think it's fair under the circumstances.

What happened wasn't his fault.  And what the family thought was fair isn't relevant.  Go by what "victims" think is fair, and they'll be executing people for cutting them off on the freeway.

It's not about whether the prison time will do him harm, but about the fact that this sentence will convince others with unpopular opinions to keep their mouths shut.  The whole idea of free speech is to protect unpopular (and yes, even outright offensive) speech.  If we are only allowed to express popular, gov't approved, opinions then speech isn't free at all.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2012, 02:41:01 AM by J_R »

Offline BruceCM

• Half-wit of the Aspie Elite
  • SINBINNED
  • Postwhore
  • It's a Mad World!
« Reply #65 on: March 30, 2012, 03:07:59 AM »

What happened wasn't his fault.  And what the family thought was fair isn't relevant.  Go by what "victims" think is fair, and they'll be executing people for cutting them off on the freeway.

It's not about whether the prison time will do him harm, but about the fact that this sentence will convince others with unpopular opinions to keep their mouths shut.  The whole idea of free speech is to protect unpopular (and yes, even outright offensive) speech.  If we are only allowed to express popular, gov't approved, opinions then speech isn't free at all.
Quite. Although, well, just  :CanofWorms:
Oh no, the evil webmaster changed my sig again!

Offline bodie

• News Box Slave
  • Maniacal Postwhore
« Reply #66 on: March 30, 2012, 03:43:29 AM »
I find it interesting, Meadow, that you have no sympathy for people who shoot their mouths and say 'unpopular things'

Since you have been here you have called me a slut,  wished death on everyone, wanted to see someone raped with a broom, implied odeon is a rapist, and said countless vile and nasty other things  -  all which are on a par with what this student said that landed him in jail.
blah blah blah

Offline Callaway

• Official Spokesperson for the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #67 on: March 30, 2012, 03:55:08 AM »
I find it interesting, Meadow, that you have no sympathy for people who shoot their mouths and say 'unpopular things'

Since you have been here you have called me a slut,  wished death on everyone, wanted to see someone raped with a broom, implied odeon is a rapist, and said countless vile and nasty other things  -  all which are on a par with what this student said that landed him in jail.

It is very interesting and also ironic.  If people should be jailed for saying unkind things on the internet then Meadow is hoist with her own petard.

Offline J_R

• Part of the Chaos
« Reply #68 on: March 30, 2012, 03:58:40 AM »

She sounds charming.

Offline BruceCM

• SINBINNED
  • Postwhore
  • It's a Mad World!
« Reply #69 on: March 30, 2012, 07:56:40 AM »
Well, I'm not sure I'd expect U to mind being called a slut, Bodie?  >:D  But raped with a broom & (effectively) calling Odeon a rapist, I do agree & was sure somebody would point that out to Meadow! I expect she'll find some 'differences' to excuse/ justify herself, the same anybody else would do.  8)

Offline bodie

• News Box Slave
  • Maniacal Postwhore
« Reply #70 on: March 30, 2012, 08:11:16 AM »
Well i would mind actually.  If it were somebody with any credibility saying it. 
blah blah blah

Offline BruceCM

• SINBINNED
  • Postwhore
  • It's a Mad World!
« Reply #71 on: March 30, 2012, 08:48:36 AM »
Aww! It probably also depends how it comes across, though; that could be meant/ taken as a compliment. Anyway, it'll be interesting to read Meadow's reply to your post (if she does one, of course). Besides, my asshole hurts!

Offline bodie

• News Box Slave
  • Maniacal Postwhore
« Reply #72 on: March 30, 2012, 09:23:27 AM »
Oh i don't think anyone needs to be Sherlock Holmes to anticipate what her response is likely to be.

I suppose the only important thing is how i view myself to be,  and i would not say a 'slut'.    Saying that,  in my time here i have come to value certain individuals opinions.  Fortunately,  Meadow isn't one of them. 

:fun dance:
blah blah blah

Offline BruceCM

• SINBINNED
  • Postwhore
  • It's a Mad World!
« Reply #73 on: March 30, 2012, 09:28:27 AM »
Well, I've predicted her likely response, if any, already! Where's that dancing smiley here, btw?  8)

Offline Callaway

• Official Spokesperson for the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #74 on: March 30, 2012, 09:36:31 AM »
Oh i don't think anyone needs to be Sherlock Holmes to anticipate what her response is likely to be.

I suppose the only important thing is how i view myself to be,  and i would not say a 'slut'.    Saying that,  in my time here i have come to value certain individuals opinions.  Fortunately,  Meadow isn't one of them. 

If she knew you, I don't see how she could possibly call you a slut.  I'm glad that you don't value her opinion of you since it's based on nothing but her imagination.

Bruce, if you type :fun dance: that should produce the smiley for you, or you could click on more smileys.  If you are curious about a smiley's shortcut, you could always quote the person's post to see it even if it's a hidden one.