Author Topic: A toothbrush the whole family can love  (Read 728 times)

Offline El

• Unofficial Weird News Reporter of the Aspie Elite
  • News Box Slave
  • Almighty Postwhore
Re: A toothbrush the whole family can love
« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2012, 01:57:06 PM »
Youre right

but I worry that if I start making sure the toilet's down all the time, I will get OCD about it

that's the annoying thing. working out what's safe to do and what isn't. i often think "well this would be a NORMAL thing to do - even people without OCD dont like that", but my OCD isn't at a safe enough level yet for me to wanna add anything else to my bathroom routine

especially as the one problem I still have with it is to do with the "toilet atmosphere" (I am still having trouble breathing in the toilet. it's really fucked up

I'm ruining everyone's exciting toothbrush conversation, I apologise
Fair 'nuff.  Then, your toothbrush didn't kill you yet, eat healthy so you have a good immune system, and don't pass out from lack of oxygen while you're on the toilet pls.
Toilet spray?  On my toothbrush?  I keep my toothbrush in my bedroom, and I brush my teeth in my bedroom too (I also have a glass for rinsing and a mug for spitting into in my room).  My toothbrush is never in the bathroom.  I also wash the brush head and handle in warm water to remove the built up gunk and then soak the brush head in bleach for a few hours several times a year, after which it's almost as sterile as when I bought it.  Between brushings, my toothbrush sits in the dry, filtered air of my bedroom.

My mum used to keep her toothbrush in the bathroom until I explained the concept of toilet spray to her, and now she keeps it in her bedroom.  She still keeps a glass in the bathroom for rinsing with and drinking from though, and she thinks it's ok because she turns it upside down when she's not using it.  She's a bit like that...
Centipedes?  In your vagina?

Also, sounds like a good system.
it is well known that PMS Elle is evil.
I think you'd fit in a 12" or at least a 16" firework mortar
You win this thread because that's most unsettling to even think about.

Offline Callaway

• Official Spokesperson for the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2012, 02:44:00 PM »
I remember seeing something about this on Mythbusters and I think that it doesn't matter where you keep your toothbrushes because even the control toothbrushes that Adam and Jamie used and kept in the kitchen had fecal coliform bacteria on them.

Here's the video of their experiment:

http://dsc.discovery.com/videos/mythbusters-surprise-toothbrush-minimyth.html

Offline El

• News Box Slave
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2012, 09:55:31 AM »
ADAM STOP READING THIS THREAD NOW.  :P

I remember seeing something about this on Mythbusters and I think that it doesn't matter where you keep your toothbrushes because even the control toothbrushes that Adam and Jamie used and kept in the kitchen had fecal coliform bacteria on them.

They don't control their experiments well.  If they were brushing with the brushes in the kitchen immediately after using the ones in the bathroom they could easily have cross-contaminated them.   It doesn't necessarily disprove the notion that fecal coliform gets into toothbrushes from toilet spray.

Offline Adam

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #18 on: February 19, 2012, 10:01:04 AM »

too late :laugh:

Offline Adam

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #19 on: February 19, 2012, 10:01:23 AM »
But yeah I didn't click that link haha

Offline Adam

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #20 on: February 19, 2012, 10:02:30 AM »
it's fecal bacteria technically everywhere btw?

Offline Queen Victoria

• Ruler of Aspie Universe
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #21 on: February 19, 2012, 11:05:06 AM »
OMG, I just threw up

A Justin Bieber Singing Toothbrush
A good monarch is a treasure. A good politician is an oxymoron.

My brain is both uninhibited and uninhabited.

:qv:

Offline Peter

• Amazing Cyber-Human Hybrid
  • Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
« Reply #22 on: February 19, 2012, 11:20:43 AM »
OMG, I just threw up

So, tweenage girls are inserting Justin Beiber's pulsating purple rod into their mouths and moving it back and forth?
14:10 - Moarskrillex42: She said something about knowing why I wanted to move to Glasgow when she came in. She plopped down on my bed and told me to go ahead and open it for her.

14:11 - Peter5930: So, she thought I was your lover and that I was sending you a box full of sex toys, and that you wanted to move to Glasgow to be with me?

Offline Queen Victoria

• Ruler of Aspie Universe
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #23 on: February 19, 2012, 11:21:43 AM »
OMG, I just threw up

So, tweenage girls are inserting Justin Beiber's pulsating purple rod into their mouths and moving it back and forth?

I know, I know.  Even the thought sends waves of revulsion around the world, nay the UNIVERSE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
A good monarch is a treasure. A good politician is an oxymoron.

My brain is both uninhibited and uninhabited.

:qv:

Offline Peter

• Amazing Cyber-Human Hybrid
  • Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
« Reply #24 on: February 19, 2012, 11:36:53 AM »
OMG, I just threw up

I know, I know.  Even the thought sends waves of revulsion around the world, nay the UNIVERSE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I hope they spit rather than swallow.  The frothy white stuff left in their mouths at the end won't be good for them.
14:10 - Moarskrillex42: She said something about knowing why I wanted to move to Glasgow when she came in. She plopped down on my bed and told me to go ahead and open it for her.

14:11 - Peter5930: So, she thought I was your lover and that I was sending you a box full of sex toys, and that you wanted to move to Glasgow to be with me?

Offline El

• News Box Slave
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #25 on: February 19, 2012, 12:05:58 PM »
it's fecal bacteria technically everywhere btw?
It's "Stop reading this thread and don't worry about it because your health is not actually in danger, Adam."

Offline Adam

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #26 on: February 19, 2012, 12:11:26 PM »
lmao oops, I meant to pust "isn't" not "it's"

Ok I will stop reading now. Please do not choose this thread if/when you decide to post noodz. thanks

oh and I keep my toothbrush in th bathroom cabinet (which is closed) when I'm not using it

Offline Callaway

• Official Spokesperson for the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #27 on: February 19, 2012, 12:40:41 PM »

They don't control their experiments well.  If they were brushing with the brushes in the kitchen immediately after using the ones in the bathroom they could easily have cross-contaminated them.   It doesn't necessarily disprove the notion that fecal coliform gets into toothbrushes from toilet spray.

Or if they used the control toothbrushes in the kitchen first, they already had fecal coliform bacteria in their mouths or on their hands.  They did have a Ph. D. and M. D. microbiologist assisting them with the experiments, Dr. Joanne Engel from UCSF, and I think she would be familiar with cross-contamination and aseptic technique.  I know that it was drilled into me in the microbiology class and lab that I took.

The point was that fecal coliform bacteria are an unavoidable part of daily living, but at the low levels found on all the toothbrushes they do not represent a health threat.

I think that it's a good idea to use your common sense but it's also impossible to completely avoid fecal coliform bacteria because they are almost everywhere.

Offline El

• News Box Slave
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #28 on: February 19, 2012, 09:43:36 PM »

Or if they used the control toothbrushes in the kitchen first, they already had fecal coliform bacteria in their mouths or on their hands.  They did have a Ph. D. and M. D. microbiologist assisting them with the experiments, Dr. Joanne Engel from UCSF, and I think she would be familiar with cross-contamination and aseptic technique.  I know that it was drilled into me in the microbiology class and lab that I took.
I'm sure she is.  And I'm sure if mythbusters wanted to, they could have a team full of people to help them make their experiments as scientifically rigorous as possible. 

Just because she was involved in part of their experiment, I don't infer that they consulted her on how to do science correctly, nor that she was going to cross her arms, stamp her feet and demand that scientific integrity be adhered to or she would not allow herself to be associated with Mythbusters.

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Invincible Heisenweeble of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore Beyond Teh Stupid
  • You're goddamn right.
« Reply #29 on: November 23, 2013, 09:41:11 PM »
...One handle can be used by the whole family

Obviously this person doesn't live with people that drool all over the handle when they brush their teeth.  :zombiefuck: :zombiefuck:

Ewww, exactly.  Just a bad idea all around.  Why be cheap about handles?   :dunno:
"I'm finding a lot of things funny lately, but I don't think they are."
--- Ripley, Alien Resurrection

"We are grateful for the time we have been given."
--- Edward Walker, The Village

People forget.
--- The Who, "Eminence Front"