Author Topic: Eye See .... or not!  (Read 829 times)

Offline Émile Armand

• BC sockpuppet
  • Constant Poster
Re: Eye See .... or not!
« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2012, 04:52:49 PM »
Get your urchin goggles.
I don't have a life so I like to come here and try my best trolling you all. I'm not that clever so I'm now banned. Again. Odeon wrote this after pwning my sorry arse. I'm now back at Spasticity, trying to make it look like my mission here was a success.

I cry a lot.

Offline Al Swearegen

• Pussycat of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Always front on and in your face
« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2012, 07:21:54 PM »
Get your urchin goggles.

He needs glasses and she got him glasses. Thanks for contributing to I2.
I2 today is not i2 of yesteryear. It is a knitting circle. Those that participate be they nice or asshats know their place and the price to be there. Odeon is the overlord

.Benevolent if you toe the line.

Think it is I2 of old? Even Odeon is not so delusional as to think otherwise. He may on occasionally pretend otherwise but his base is that knitting circle.

Censoring/banning/restricting/moderating myself, Calanadale & Scrapheap were all not his finest moments.

How to apologise to Scrap

Offline Émile Armand

• BC sockpuppet
  • Constant Poster
« Reply #17 on: February 11, 2012, 07:35:32 PM »
Goggles are good for outdoor activities and sports.
I don't have a life so I like to come here and try my best trolling you all. I'm not that clever so I'm now banned. Again. Odeon wrote this after pwning my sorry arse. I'm now back at Spasticity, trying to make it look like my mission here was a success.

I cry a lot.

Offline Al Swearegen

• Pussycat of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Always front on and in your face
« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2012, 12:16:21 AM »
Goggles are good for outdoor activities and sports.

and for swimming underwater.

I hope that does not happen in class too often.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2012, 07:59:06 AM by Al Swearengen »
I2 today is not i2 of yesteryear. It is a knitting circle. Those that participate be they nice or asshats know their place and the price to be there. Odeon is the overlord

.Benevolent if you toe the line.

Think it is I2 of old? Even Odeon is not so delusional as to think otherwise. He may on occasionally pretend otherwise but his base is that knitting circle.

Censoring/banning/restricting/moderating myself, Calanadale & Scrapheap were all not his finest moments.

How to apologise to Scrap

Offline Pyraxis

• Werewolf Wrangler of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • aka Daria
« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2012, 04:20:21 PM »
But underwater classrooms would be so much fun!
You'll never self-actualize the subconscious canopy of stardust with that attitude.

Offline renaeden

• Complicated Case of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #20 on: February 13, 2012, 12:37:57 AM »
Sometimes people go ages needing glasses before they get tested for them even as adults. My eyes changed a lot when I was 13 (to do with puberty, this is a common time for eyesight to change) and I went ages not knowing that I really needed to have my prescription changed. Getting a lot of headaches was the only real indicator that something was up and even then I didn't say anything because it wasn't in my nature to. But my schoolwork really went downhill. A few letters home from teachers made my mum really mad at me and that is when I told her about my headaches.

So I got tested and it was found that I was going short-sighted in my right eye (before that both my eyes had been +) so that my left eye was +2.00 and my right was -2.00. That is quite a big difference and I don't know how I was getting along like that without noticing but it was probably because my left eye was/is weak so even though it had the clearer vision for distances, I just wasn't using it enough.

But a new prescription made such a difference. I could see leaves on trees and the mortar between bricks on buildings again, heh. It was (and is) a pleasure to see clearly.

Bodaccea, the point I guess I am trying to make is to not blame yourself for your urchin's vision problems. It is hard enough to get an adult to recognise they have vision problems let alone a little kid who doesn't know any difference. I had glasses at your urchin's age as well. Younger, actually, because I had had operations so the doctors were anticipating vision problems. I can't remember being tested for glasses at that age but I imagine it wasn't easy for them to get the correct prescription but they did. I had to see an ophthalmologist a lot and I do remember that.

Your urchin's vision will be corrected at a young age and that is definitely a good thing. He is long-sighted too so the problem is not very noticeable to those who experience it (far vision is clear, up close is harder to focus). Astigmatism is also pretty easy to live with in most cases as well (I have it in both eyes but can only tell I have it in my right eye when I read without glasses on).

Here is a line picture test for astigmatism where you can tell pretty easily if you have it (at least I can) because some of the lines appear clear and the rest are fuzzy:
Mildly Cute in a Retarded Way
Tek'ma'tae

Offline bodie

• Reflective Katoptronaphiliac of the Aspie Elite
  • News Box Slave
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • busy re arranging deck chairs on board the Titanic
« Reply #21 on: February 13, 2012, 04:35:41 AM »
Thanks.  I have never had a problem with my own sight and didn't pay enough attention to the signs from the urchin.

My only problem now is getting him to keep them on his head. :zoinks:
blah blah blah

eris

« Reply #22 on: February 13, 2012, 04:39:04 AM »
I can't see shit without my contacts in. I'd never drive, I would probably kill someone. nothing wrong with your boy needing glasses.

Offline renaeden

• Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #23 on: February 13, 2012, 05:04:17 AM »
I just realised I wrote an essay there. Long post anyway, sorry. And yeah, there is no way I would drive either without my glasses on. It says on my license that I have to wear visual aids while driving too.

What is cool is that Harry Potter has made it more acceptable to wear glasses. It is seen as normal now I think. Wish Harry Potter had been around when I was at school!
Tek'ma'tae

Offline bodie

• News Box Slave
  • Maniacal Postwhore
« Reply #24 on: February 13, 2012, 05:04:31 AM »
Is astigmatism something they can correct using laser surgery?  anyone ever considered this?
blah blah blah

Offline bodie

• News Box Slave
  • Maniacal Postwhore
« Reply #25 on: February 13, 2012, 05:05:59 AM »
Oh and he looked really cute when he was trying his frames on.  Like the milky bar kid.  And he is chuffed..
..at the moment!
blah blah blah

Offline renaeden

• Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #26 on: February 13, 2012, 05:20:41 AM »
I hope his glasses make a difference so that he likes to wear them. Stuff will probably happen to them though. Mine fell off while I was on the trampoline and then I jumped on them, I also dropped them down the toilet...

I haven't considered laser surgery because my sight changes from year to year. Chances are I would have the surgery then need to wear glasses again a couple of years later so not really worth it. I never used to have astigmatism in my left eye but when I got tested last year, the optometrist told me I do have it now, bummer.
Tek'ma'tae

Offline 'andersom'

• Pure Chocolate Bovine PIMP of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • well known as hyke.
« Reply #27 on: February 13, 2012, 07:23:53 AM »
If your boys also is long-sighted, that can disappear. Most kids are mildly long-sighted, and over the years that disappears for most of them.

My oldest was long-sighted appropriate for her age at age 4. My youngest was a bit behind in getting her eyes to zero at age 9. Don't know how her eyes are now.

My oldest now has glasses for near-sightedness, and the past few years her eyes are getting more astigmatic. She does take off her glasses most of the time though. Only wears them when she really wants to see something at a distance over a meter.

I think she prefers not to see every distracting detail in life.
I can do upside down chocolate moo things!

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #28 on: February 13, 2012, 09:43:40 AM »
Is astigmatism something they can correct using laser surgery?  anyone ever considered this?

Yes, it's possible, and yes, I have considered it. He does need to be an adult before surgery, as his vision can change significantly throughout childhood and his teens.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline bodie

• News Box Slave
  • Maniacal Postwhore
« Reply #29 on: February 13, 2012, 06:38:23 PM »

Yes, it's possible, and yes, I have considered it. He does need to be an adult before surgery, as his vision can change significantly throughout childhood and his teens.
Yeah agreed,  i would not inflict such a process on him without his consent  anyway so would have to be over 18,  or maybe 16.  I have read about a boy in America, aged 8,  with ADHD, who had laser surgery because he wouldn't wear his glasses and then kept losing his contact's,  i don't know if it was for astigmatism. 

I hope his glasses come tomorrow,  he is excited  :green:
blah blah blah