Author Topic: Think About Failure  (Read 1197 times)

Offline Pig

• Moron!
  • Constant Poster
Re: Think About Failure
« Reply #30 on: January 31, 2012, 05:14:52 PM »
Ah, this is what I wanted.  Peoples' failures and how they cope with them.

We all have to face these things in our lives, our own shortcomings, our own failings.  It's just not something people talk about that much. 

So please continue.  Share your broken dreams, your inadequacies, and your struggle to continue.  I really am curious.

Offline bucephalus

• Part of the Chaos
  • apparently
    • my band
« Reply #31 on: January 31, 2012, 05:23:40 PM »
okay, i think the distinction between a true failure and anything else is not about lack of success, or perpetual failure, but in fact the way in which one responds to these situations.  I think it's fair to guess that a true failure will bodge good fortune and exacerbate bad luck.

to list my examples;  as with boda, i really suck at cooking - apart from being very experimental and daring, i tend to spend ages making something i wouldn't give to someone else.  i'm crap with money - don't drink / smoke / barely eat out yet i still manage to be skint!!  I find it extremely hard to concentrate and i am disorganised.  Failure?  nah, i've learned to work around these things :)

Offline Pig

• Moron!
  • Constant Poster
« Reply #32 on: January 31, 2012, 05:28:55 PM »
okay, i think the distinction between a true failure and anything else is not about lack of success, or perpetual failure, but in fact the way in which one responds to these situations.  I think it's fair to guess that a true failure will bodge good fortune and exacerbate bad luck.

to list my examples;  as with boda, i really suck at cooking - apart from being very experimental and daring, i tend to spend ages making something i wouldn't give to someone else.  i'm crap with money - don't drink / smoke / barely eat out yet i still manage to be skint!!  I find it extremely hard to concentrate and i am disorganised.  Failure?  nah, i've learned to work around these things :)
Isn't there anything you've always wanted to do, but couldn't because of these personal deficits?

Offline bucephalus

• Part of the Chaos
  • apparently
    • my band
« Reply #33 on: January 31, 2012, 05:32:21 PM »

Isn't there anything you've always wanted to do, but couldn't because of these personal deficits?

i wanted to run my own cafe.  kinda ironic. i've got a lot of saving to do if that's gonna happen :S

Offline Queen Victoria

• Ruler of Aspie Universe
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #34 on: January 31, 2012, 06:09:15 PM »
The 12 Step Programs have incorporated the saying that, "Insanity is doing the same thing over and over, expecting different results."  Perhaps failures are the result of improper planning.  This could be wanting to be a physicist, but sucking at math.  This could be from failing to research the requisites of the goal, playing a guitar in a rock band without lessons.  It could be from failing to adequately define the goal or from not setting a deadline.  It could be from not critically examining and evaluating each attempt and making the needed changes.  There is probably no one reason for failure.

My failures in life can be traced to blithely assuming that things would turn out right, that I didn't have to work toward goals, that I even had to set goals.  My failures were caused by a great immaturity and lack of discipline and preparation.  Even when I had the opportunity to "redo" a goal, I blew it.  I'm still financially affected by that decision to this day, even though it happened in 1979. 
A good monarch is a treasure. A good politician is an oxymoron.

My brain is both uninhibited and uninhabited.

:qv:

Offline renaeden

• Complicated Case of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #35 on: January 31, 2012, 10:23:01 PM »

We all have to face these things in our lives, our own shortcomings, our own failings.  It's just not something people talk about that much. 

So please continue.  Share your broken dreams, your inadequacies, and your struggle to continue.  I really am curious.
You know I am waiting for you to spill about your life too.

I have always wanted to be good at science-based stuff. I have the curiosity but no talent. Like Joe the baseball player, no matter how much I try, I just don't get things. I saw on tv recently a person representing a university here and they were an astrophysicist. How awesome would that be. Oh well, I have to stick to enjoying Star Trek, Stargate, etc.
Mildly Cute in a Retarded Way
Tek'ma'tae

Offline bucephalus

• Part of the Chaos
  • apparently
    • my band
« Reply #36 on: February 01, 2012, 07:43:07 AM »

You know I am waiting for you to spill about your life too.

I have always wanted to be good at science-based stuff. I have the curiosity but no talent. Like Joe the baseball player, no matter how much I try, I just don't get things. I saw on tv recently a person representing a university here and they were an astrophysicist. How awesome would that be. Oh well, I have to stick to enjoying Star Trek, Stargate, etc.

There's wanting to be good at science-based stuff and there's being fascinated by all things science.  If in your case, these amount to the same thing, i reckon you should continue to feed your fascination with more and more information.  I wouldn't worry about getting things, that should happen by itself over time.  i know nothing about science but i guess there's a certain level of maths knowledge that could act as a barrier

Offline renaeden

• Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #37 on: February 01, 2012, 08:26:06 AM »
^Yes indeed, and I am hopeless at maths! Believe me, I have tried and tried with maths and I can learn something but I often forget it immediately. Recently I studied statistics at uni. Can I remember any of it? No. Going to have to learn it all again when I use stats in a group project some time this year though.

I really enjoyed science at school but I remember signing up for a lab assistant course a few years later and all the chemistry side of things confused me and I ended up dropping out and failing the course. I also failed an electronics course because I couldn't do the maths. Oh yeah, I know about failing. ;)
Tek'ma'tae

Offline Adam

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #38 on: February 01, 2012, 08:39:35 AM »
I find maths to be total shit. Partly because I am totally shit at it

Adding up and stuff, cool. but after that I switch off

Offline bucephalus

• Part of the Chaos
  • apparently
    • my band
« Reply #39 on: February 01, 2012, 08:45:06 AM »
^Yes indeed, and I am hopeless at maths! Believe me, I have tried and tried with maths and I can learn something but I often forget it immediately. Recently I studied statistics at uni. Can I remember any of it? No. Going to have to learn it all again when I use stats in a group project some time this year though.

I really enjoyed science at school but I remember signing up for a lab assistant course a few years later and all the chemistry side of things confused me and I ended up dropping out and failing the course. I also failed an electronics course because I couldn't do the maths. Oh yeah, I know about failing. ;)

Maybe you have problems concentrating when it comes to maths stuff, i'm stabbing in dark i admit..   But rather than me succumb to the temptation of typing a load of self-help bullshit I'll recommend all future Star Trek and Stargate boxsets etc.  Maybe your calling is in the production of sci drama

Offline renaeden

• Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #40 on: February 01, 2012, 09:04:48 AM »
You know me well already... I have a lot of Star Trek and Stargate boxsets. Just been watching SGU as well. You are also right about the troubles concentrating; I have ADHD and take meds for it so I can study for uni stuff. Don't think I would be going to uni if it weren't for the meds. Makes me wonder how I could have done in high school had I known about my ADHD back then.

Heh, here is a Scumbag Brain pic I found:
« Last Edit: February 01, 2012, 09:07:32 AM by renaeden »
Tek'ma'tae

Offline bodie

• Reflective Katoptronaphiliac of the Aspie Elite
  • News Box Slave
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • busy re arranging deck chairs on board the Titanic
« Reply #41 on: February 01, 2012, 01:05:47 PM »
I don't think of it as failure.   I prefer to say i haven't quite mastered something! :zoinks:   It won't actually be a 'fail' until i die or quit :hahaha:
blah blah blah

Offline bodie

• News Box Slave
  • Maniacal Postwhore
« Reply #42 on: February 01, 2012, 01:08:15 PM »
OK OK OK

I am a Birmingham City Fan

i know more than most about failure :green:
blah blah blah

Offline bucephalus

• Part of the Chaos
  • apparently
    • my band
« Reply #43 on: February 01, 2012, 04:46:51 PM »
OK OK OK

I am a Birmingham City Fan

i know more than most about failure :green:

you'll most probably be swapping places with Wolves next season, then you can get back on track to your mid-table prem finishes :D

Offline bodie

• News Box Slave
  • Maniacal Postwhore
« Reply #44 on: February 01, 2012, 04:55:53 PM »
we just move up and down like a yoyo :zoinks:
blah blah blah