Author Topic: Think About Failure  (Read 1169 times)

Offline Pig

• Moron!
  • Constant Poster
Think About Failure
« on: January 29, 2012, 11:18:35 PM »
We've all experienced failure, I can declare with some confidence.  But what happens when a person fails at their goals perpetually?  Should they really be labeled a "failure"?

Do you think the people themselves are to blame if they fail?  Should they be pitied or scorned?

I'd like to read other peoples' stories about both their successes and failures in life, and how it affected their world-views.  If you've ever worked hard to achieve a goal, let us know if it worked out or not.

Offline Queen Victoria

• Ruler of Aspie Universe
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
Re: Think About Failure
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2012, 12:17:03 AM »
This is one subject I'd like to input on, but it will require a bit of deep thinking to minimize potential misunderstandings with my post. 

(Bad mov QV, now they're expecting a post of absolute brilliance and enlightenment. 
Solution?  Get them drunk first.  They'll either think it was great or won't remember it.)

Drinks are on me.
A good monarch is a treasure. A good politician is an oxymoron.

My brain is both uninhibited and uninhabited.

:qv:

Offline Pig

• Moron!
  • Constant Poster
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2012, 12:21:00 AM »
This is one subject I'd like to input on, but it will require a bit of deep thinking to minimize potential misunderstandings with my post. 

(Bad mov QV, now they're expecting a post of absolute brilliance and enlightenment. 
Solution?  Get them drunk first.  They'll either think it was great or won't remember it.)

Drinks are on me.
No problem, take your time.  :)

I could add a story myself, but it's not fun to go over the details of one's personal failings.

Offline bodie

• Reflective Katoptronaphiliac of the Aspie Elite
  • News Box Slave
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • busy re arranging deck chairs on board the Titanic
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2012, 01:29:39 AM »
I think failing is just human.  Don't beat yourself up over it,  not unless you keep making the same mistakes.   I

I am usually pretty good at evaluating the mess and trying again.  However,  if i feel i am being laughed at or over scrutinised in some way i tend to just go and crawl under a rock.   Failure is no good for your confidence.

With that in mind i try and ignore other peoples fails,  and not point them out too much in a Capt. Obvious way.   The World is not so forgiving.
blah blah blah

Offline Pig

• Moron!
  • Constant Poster
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2012, 02:17:27 AM »
I think failing is just human.  Don't beat yourself up over it,  not unless you keep making the same mistakes
I think this is my main point.  What if you DO keep making the same mistakes.  Then what?

Offline 'andersom'

• Pure Chocolate Bovine PIMP of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • well known as hyke.
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2012, 06:23:21 AM »
I think failing is just human.  Don't beat yourself up over it,  not unless you keep making the same mistakes
I think this is my main point.  What if you DO keep making the same mistakes.  Then what?

Try to sort out why you do that. What keeps you taking similar steps again and again. Try to understand the pattern. With or without help. And then try to find a way to avoid the following of the too familiar pattern the next time.

And, you won't succeed changing that overnight. Guess it is like quitting smoking. Most people who do have a pretty long preparation time (failures included) before they succeed.

Every similar failure can bring you closer to understanding the pattern you are in.

Can be annoying and depressing as hell though.

I can do upside down chocolate moo things!

Offline bodie

• News Box Slave
  • Maniacal Postwhore
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2012, 12:38:47 PM »
Stop it!

Nah i know it's easier said.   What types of mistakes do you refer?  There are many to be made.  Are we talking you keep putting diesel in your petrol car,  or are we talking more personal?

Personal stuff is always cloudy i think.  You need to look back at it,  to see where you went wrong.
blah blah blah

Offline Pig

• Moron!
  • Constant Poster
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2012, 03:06:32 PM »
Stop it!

Nah i know it's easier said.   What types of mistakes do you refer?  There are many to be made.  Are we talking you keep putting diesel in your petrol car,  or are we talking more personal?

Personal stuff is always cloudy i think.  You need to look back at it,  to see where you went wrong.
Compulsion drives us to keep trying at some things no matter how much we fail.  It can be anything: trying to become rich, trying to become beautiful, trying to become smarter, trying to stay sober, etc.  But human beings cannot always achieve their goals through hard work and dedication.  So, what are we to do when our failure becomes perpetual?

midlifeaspie

« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2012, 03:08:22 PM »
But human beings cannot always achieve their goals through hard work and dedication.  So, what are we to do when our failure becomes perpetual?

I reject the core premise of your argument.

Offline Pig

• Moron!
  • Constant Poster
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2012, 03:19:56 PM »
But human beings cannot always achieve their goals through hard work and dedication.  So, what are we to do when our failure becomes perpetual?

Heh heh...I used to believe that hard work and dedication could achieve anything.  But what of the many failures that scatter the world?  Can you just tell those people they haven't tried hard enough?

Technically if you keep trying until you die you haven't "failed," you've run out of time.  Realistically though at some point an endeavor must be decided a failure, even if the participant themselves will not give up.  If twenty years has not brought any progress, then failure is the most apt description.

Offline Queen Victoria

• Ruler of Aspie Universe
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2012, 03:40:30 PM »
Pig, you're confusing working hard with working smart. 

A man pays you $50 to cut his front lawn.  You can work hard and cut it with nail clippers or you can work smart and cut it with a lawn mower.  Working hard in this case won't put food on the table.

NEVER EVER work for someone who expects you to work hard.  Work for someone who expects you to work smart.
A good monarch is a treasure. A good politician is an oxymoron.

My brain is both uninhibited and uninhabited.

:qv:

Offline Pig

• Moron!
  • Constant Poster
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2012, 03:56:45 PM »
Pig, you're confusing working hard with working smart. 

A man pays you $50 to cut his front lawn.  You can work hard and cut it with nail clippers or you can work smart and cut it with a lawn mower.  Working hard in this case won't put food on the table.

NEVER EVER work for someone who expects you to work hard.  Work for someone who expects you to work smart.
Mmmm.. Well I wanted to keep this discussion pretty open, because I like to read different perspectives on this, but that's not quite what I mean. 

Here is an example of what I was thinking of:

Joseph has always dreamed of being a great pro-baseball player, from his childhood up until the present.  Except now he is 35, and has never even made it to the minors.  He has forgone any of the normal pleasures of life in favor of dedicating himself full-time to baseball, but the hard work has never paid off.  Joseph has tried every available method to improve, but he's never passed beyond mediocre.  His life has been entirely baseball focused because all he wants is to play at a professional level, but realistically that's not going to happen.  He does not have any interest in coaching, reffing, or any other peripheral activities.  All he wants is to play in the majors and be great.

What can he do?  He can keep trying into his 70's, doing laps, practicing his swing, etc - but it won't ever pay off.

Offline bodie

• News Box Slave
  • Maniacal Postwhore
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2012, 04:02:42 PM »

Heh heh...I used to believe that hard work and dedication could achieve anything.  But what of the many failures that scatter the world?  Can you just tell those people they haven't tried hard enough?

Technically if you keep trying until you die you haven't "failed," you've run out of time.  Realistically though at some point an endeavor must be decided a failure, even if the participant themselves will not give up.  If twenty years has not brought any progress, then failure is the most apt description.
  I disagree.  I would prefer to keep trying,  and die a 'trier'  than be a quitter.

The more you repeat your attempt the more chance you have of getting somewhere.

It's like i might moan to my friend 'oh i wish i could win the lottery'  but you know what?  I don't ever play the motherfucker!   

Even if the odds are slim,  by increasing my attempts at something means i am not to rule out winning.    Don't quit trying.
blah blah blah

Offline Pig

• Moron!
  • Constant Poster
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2012, 04:07:21 PM »
I disagree.  I would prefer to keep trying,  and die a 'trier'  than be a quitter.

The more you repeat your attempt the more chance you have of getting somewhere.

It's like i might moan to my friend 'oh i wish i could win the lottery'  but you know what?  I don't ever play the motherfucker!   

Even if the odds are slim,  by increasing my attempts at something means i am not to rule out winning.    Don't quit trying.
Yes, I agree, some goals cannot be quit.

Still sucks to fail over and over again though.

Offline Adam

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2012, 04:15:29 PM »
I honestly achieved nothing in life until last year. Success feels great. And I don't mean success as in getting rich or having a high flying career etc (altho money would be good too haha), but just achieving something big/ having soemthing to feel proud of