Author Topic: Remember ACTA? (Must read)  (Read 571 times)

Offline ProfessorFarnsworth

• Mad scientist at work
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Good news everyone!
Remember ACTA? (Must read)
« on: January 23, 2012, 08:19:53 PM »
I mentioned this a long time ago on here and got accused of being paranoid, well, it's already now signed by most nations (even ratified in a few) and will soon become law internationally when the EU fully agrees to it. So yeah, so much for it'll never happen, it's already happening now.

To sum up what ACTA is, it's SOPA/PIPA bigger brother that affects 40 countries including Europe and Australia. Here's a video for more information, spread information about ACTA all over the net, don't fucking ignore this one or we are fucked!

Forbes article:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/erikkain/2012/01/23/if-you-thought-sopa-was-bad-just-wait-until-you-meet-acta/

DO IT FAGGOTS!

« Last Edit: January 23, 2012, 08:21:40 PM by ProfessorFarnsworth »
Existence actually has two broad meanings despite its apparent meaningless. The constant reconciliation of all its parts, and the conservation of any closed system as a whole.

Morality can be extrapolated from these meanings to make these two commandments of godless morality: 1). Be in harmony with one another and 2). Care for the environment.

Offline Phallacy

• Witchfinder General of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore
Re: Remember ACTA? (Must read)
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2012, 10:31:58 PM »
I have been wondering what this ACTA thing was. Holy shit. This isn't good. Always one thing after another! ::)

• Mad scientist at work
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Good news everyone!
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2012, 07:31:15 AM »
Guess I forgot to mention that it will be ratified soon, like, less than months from now if it's not stopped. In fact in Tokyo on the 26th of January, Poland will be signing this treaty and the treaty will likely be finalized it too, ready to ratified. I'm really starting to think SOPA was a distraction because when ACTA passes, it still affects the U.S as they signed the treaty too.

So much for stopping SOPA/PIPA, while they were bad, ACTA was the primary one to look out for all along. :trollface:
« Last Edit: January 24, 2012, 07:34:57 AM by ProfessorFarnsworth »
Existence actually has two broad meanings despite its apparent meaningless. The constant reconciliation of all its parts, and the conservation of any closed system as a whole.

Morality can be extrapolated from these meanings to make these two commandments of godless morality: 1). Be in harmony with one another and 2). Care for the environment.

• Mad scientist at work
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Good news everyone!
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2012, 07:37:18 AM »
Is politics viewable to guests? If so, can an admin please move it there? I probably should have posted it there to begin with. :\

Offline renaeden

• Complicated Case of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2012, 08:10:16 AM »
It is and ok I will move it.
Mildly Cute in a Retarded Way
Tek'ma'tae

• Mad scientist at work
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Good news everyone!
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2012, 08:34:48 AM »

• Mad scientist at work
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Good news everyone!
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2012, 08:40:47 AM »

Offline TA

• Rage Filled Brain of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore
  • Face my Squirrely Wrath!
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2012, 01:07:15 PM »
Cynical answer: Its whoever can buy the most politicians.

On an unrelated note, something tells me that the meeting between Hollywood and Silicon Valley got ugly, so the shutdown of MegaUpload and ACTA coming to light may be a result of this.
The stupidity of humanity FILLS ME WITH RAGE!

Offline Calavera

• The Intellectually Deficient of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2012, 10:08:32 PM »
Hopefully, these laws should compel companies and industries make an effort to distribute their stuff legally online and for very cheap costs.

I say that should be very fair. Otherwise, fuck ACTA.

• Mad scientist at work
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Good news everyone!
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2012, 10:18:33 PM »
Hopefully, these laws should compel companies and industries make an effort to distribute their stuff legally online and for very cheap costs.

I say that should be very fair. Otherwise, fuck ACTA.

It won't as once the corporates gain a monopoly over internet traffic, they'll systemically destroy all social networking and media hosting like Youtube and charge whatever they like for their own content. Considering the provisions in ACTA, it's Orwellian in nature to sum it up.

Shit has gotten real.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2012, 10:20:54 PM by ProfessorFarnsworth »

Offline Phallacy

• Witchfinder General of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2012, 10:26:23 PM »
The issue aren't the bills. It's the fact that these fucking crooks have any sort of power in the first place.

• Mad scientist at work
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Good news everyone!
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2012, 10:28:34 PM »
Money talks loudest, what more can be said?

Offline El

• Unofficial Weird News Reporter of the Aspie Elite
  • News Box Slave
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2012, 06:55:34 AM »
TY for the info, professor.

I wonder if these ridiculous internet laws will be the new version of the "war on drugs."  (i.e. a pretty damn arbitrary way to criminalize behavior which is relatively common and shouldn't be considered criminal- and all that goes along with doing so).
it is well known that PMS Elle is evil.
I think you'd fit in a 12" or at least a 16" firework mortar
You win this thread because that's most unsettling to even think about.

• Mad scientist at work
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Good news everyone!
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2012, 01:28:51 AM »
TY for the info, professor.

I wonder if these ridiculous internet laws will be the new version of the "war on drugs."  (i.e. a pretty damn arbitrary way to criminalize behavior which is relatively common and shouldn't be considered criminal- and all that goes along with doing so).

Not to mention the loss of civil liberties that such a copyright crackdown would entail. I mean seriously, freedom of speech, freedom of privacy, freedom of expression would all have to be eliminated to truly enforce copyright laws to the fullest extent. That's why this legislation is dangerous. It's practically Orwellian.

If I had to choose between ensuring absolute control over my intellectual property and having personal freedoms, always the latter, no exceptions.

Offline Pig

• Moron!
  • Constant Poster
« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2012, 01:51:23 AM »
If I had to choose between ensuring absolute control over my intellectual property and having personal freedoms, always the latter, no exceptions.
I completely agree.  It's horrible that the masses don't want this to happen, but because of money it's going to pass anyway. 

The important thing is that the rich get richer, not that the modern miracle of the internet is being perverted.  ::)

I'm ready to stop worshiping money.