Educational

Author Topic: For the love of God (grammar time)  (Read 719 times)

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Invincible Heisenweeble of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore Beyond Teh Stupid
  • You're goddamn right.
Re: For the love of God (grammar time)
« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2012, 05:43:00 PM »
complexioned is a new word to me. Better add it to my still limited vocabulary. Thank you, Your Majesty.

I am a light-complexioned Weeble! :cbc:
"I'm finding a lot of things funny lately, but I don't think they are."
--- Ripley, Alien Resurrection

"We are grateful for the time we have been given."
--- Edward Walker, The Village

People forget.
--- The Who, "Eminence Front"

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2012, 06:17:04 PM »
How about this I'll type a bunch of apostrophes here in this thread for when I miss them :zoinks:
I made them different colors to be fancy

''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''

''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

Offline bodie

• Reflective Katoptronaphiliac of the Aspie Elite
  • News Box Slave
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • busy re arranging deck chairs on board the Titanic
« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2012, 07:41:23 PM »
Hark!  My noble Lord Calavera, and four cornered fellow Intensian's.  Art thou proclaiming a pox on these new tuner's of accents? What fools these mortals be!

The English language is 'alive',  unlike say Latin which is 'dead'.  English is alive and evolving all the time.  The quote above is Elizabethan English and you can see how much our language has changed in a few hundred years.

Sorry to tell you,  your 'apostrophe'  is in decline.  It may one day disappear    ::)

A large retailer of books in the UK used to be known as Waterstone's.   It is undergoing a change of name to   Waterstones.  ?   Grammar is changing.
blah blah blah

Offline Adam

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2012, 07:55:21 PM »
i dont know why (if anything i feel BAD for feeling this way) but i m
dont really like the idea of apostrophes going out of use. language does evolve tho, yeh. and that is a v good point. but somehow i dont like the idea
of PUNCTUATION changing. i dunno. that bothers me more than any other aspect of language changing

Offline Adam

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2012, 07:57:44 PM »
i know i rarely write correctly on here btw. cant be arsed, type too fast, typos etc. but i would hate it if my style of writing on i2 was one day the right way lol

Offline bodie

• News Box Slave
  • Maniacal Postwhore
« Reply #20 on: January 11, 2012, 08:07:55 PM »
Me too.  I think in certain circles it will still be required.
Official documents,  formal letters etc.

If you think about when these grammar rules were made people wrote in ink, and sat at desks with typewriters  -  the way we communicate has changed such a lot,  i think it is bound to change.

I can't believe Waterstone's dropping the apostrophe,  but guess it is a sign of things to come.

If i were to apply the correct grammar, spelling and punctuation to all my posts,  then my posts would be halved.  I would only bother now if it was a formal letter.
blah blah blah

eris

« Reply #21 on: January 11, 2012, 08:11:12 PM »
i actually DO know the difference, and i know I should capitalize i and such, but really dont care. I often ignore grammar and instead type the way I talk. I do know how to sound intelligent but thought I shouldnt give false pretense.

and ever since I've been getting 100+ texts a day from a boy that doesnt know the difference between wear and were, I am becoming way more forgiving.

Offline bodie

• News Box Slave
  • Maniacal Postwhore
« Reply #22 on: January 11, 2012, 08:18:45 PM »
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/9007552/Waterstones-ditches-apostrophe.html

The chain has been known as Waterstone’s since it was founded in 1982 by entrepreneur Tim Waterstone.

However the retailer’s new head, James Daunt, who also founded rival book chain Daunt Books, is jettisoning 30 years of bookselling history by altering the punctuation, to become Waterstones.

“Waterstones without an apostrophe is, in a digital world of URLs and email addresses, a more versatile and practical spelling,” said Mr Daunt.

However, language experts were outraged.

John Richards, the chairman of the Apostrophe Protection Society, described the change as "slapdash", particularly from a bookshop.

Well i can only wonder what goes on at the 'Apostrophe Protection Society' -  sounds riveting :zoinks:
« Last Edit: January 11, 2012, 08:21:24 PM by bodaccea »
blah blah blah

Offline earthboundmisfit

• Mayhem of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #23 on: January 11, 2012, 08:29:52 PM »

Well i can only wonder what goes on at the 'Apostrophe Protection Society' -  sounds riveting :zoinks:

First rule of Apostrophe Protection Society:

Don't talk about Apostrophe Protection Society.

Offline matthe

• gifted asshole
  • Elder
  • Postwhore
  • quit fucking with my dogs equilibrium yo
« Reply #24 on: January 11, 2012, 09:16:54 PM »
I just say "it is" except for the possessive pronoun of course. But I have seen people use "it's" for that and want to ask them to explain how that works. :P I have found this one easy to understand.

Adding an apostrophe to plural nouns is something that irks me. Like at the shops - "banana's". Does something belong to the banana? No, it does not so don't use an apostrophe!

"that banana's skin is turning brown"

if i had my way, apostrophes would be eliminated, they really arent needed. and spelling would all be strictly phonetic, like japanese is.
feix ma spellan. ai nide halp. coz i caent duet.

Offline bodie

• News Box Slave
  • Maniacal Postwhore
« Reply #25 on: January 11, 2012, 09:17:59 PM »
If you are a member EBM,  do you think you get me into their xmas party? >:D
blah blah blah

Offline matthe

• gifted asshole
  • Elder
  • Postwhore
  • quit fucking with my dogs equilibrium yo
« Reply #26 on: January 11, 2012, 09:35:15 PM »
-grammer nazis- if it botthers you that much, yo, dont bother. i have a mathmatical; logical mind, and cant be a***d mesing around with capitals and puncshuation all the time. if theres a period its prolly the end of a sentance, no caps needed. i do my best to spell correctlly and use proper grammer and puncshuation so you can understand me. my spelling can be bad at times if its not phonetic, but i do try to spell correctly and dont mind being corrected, if its not an obsessive thing. if you can deal with a lack of caps and apostrophes without your blood boiling, great! (this section was intentionally packed with erorz. :P )

from my pof profile lmao
feix ma spellan. ai nide halp. coz i caent duet.

eris

« Reply #27 on: January 11, 2012, 09:49:06 PM »
ok cupid is full of pseudo intellectuals. I have no idea how many people on there try as hard as they can to be all philosophical and well read, yet sarcastically making fun of themselves for it but not-really-i-really-am-full-of-myself attitude.

Offline renaeden

• Complicated Case of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #28 on: January 12, 2012, 01:20:02 AM »
I just say "it is" except for the possessive pronoun of course. But I have seen people use "it's" for that and want to ask them to explain how that works. :P I have found this one easy to understand.

Adding an apostrophe to plural nouns is something that irks me. Like at the shops - "banana's". Does something belong to the banana? No, it does not so don't use an apostrophe!

"that banana's skin is turning brown"

if i had my way, apostrophes would be eliminated, they really arent needed. and spelling would all be strictly phonetic, like japanese is.
Obviously "banana's" works in that sentence. I was giving an example of where it didn't work, as in the plural of banana. I believe apostrophes are needed for our language, confusion may result otherwise. There is enough confusion there already, heh.

I am just surprised at the amount of people who get through school these days without knowing how to spell and use basic grammar. I thought people were tested on this kind of thing still.

I have problems with mixing up past, present and future tense. Commas can be confusing to me as well.
Mildly Cute in a Retarded Way
Tek'ma'tae

Offline earthboundmisfit

• Mayhem of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #29 on: January 12, 2012, 01:26:48 AM »

If you are a member EBM,  do you think you get me into their xmas party? >:D

There's a pretty intense initiation ritual.  :bonban: