Author Topic: Home burns while firefighters watch  (Read 647 times)

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
Home burns while firefighters watch
« on: December 07, 2011, 11:12:01 AM »
A Tennessee couple helplessly watched their home burn to the ground, along with all of their possessions, because they did not pay a $75 annual fee to the local fire department.

Vicky Bell told the NBC affiliate WPSD-TV that she called 911 when her mobile home in Obion County caught fire. Firefighters arrived on the scene but as the fire raged, they simply stood by and did nothing. "In an emergency, the first thing you think of, 'Call 9-1-1," homeowner Bell said. However, Bell and her husband were forced to walk into the burning home in an attempt to retrieve their own belongings. "You could look out my mom's trailer and see the trucks sitting at a distance," Bell said. "We just wished we could've gotten more out."

South Fulton Mayor David Crocker defended the fire department, saying that if firefighters responded to non-subscribers, no one would have an incentive to pay the fee. Residents in the city of South Fulton receive the service automatically, but it is not extended to those living in the greater county-wide area.

"There's no way to go to every fire and keep up the manpower, the equipment, and just the funding for the fire department," Crocker said.

The South Fulton policy produced precisely the same nightmare scenario last year, when homeowner Gene Cranick--who had likewise failed to pay the $75 annual fee for rural Obion County residents--saw his house engulfed by flames as South Fulton firefighter watched close by. That incident sparked a debate among conservative pundits over the limits of fee-for-service approaches to government.

For his part, Mayor Crocker stressed that the city's  firefighters will help people in danger, even those who haven't paid the fee. "After the last situation, I would hope that everybody would be well aware of the rural fire fees, this time," Crocker said.
Link

WTF for a $75 fee why the fuck is it just included with the property taxes?   How could anyone not to mention firefighters sit around and just watch.  I would have been out there trying to help even if it was  neighbors I hated.
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

Psychophant

Re: Home burns while firefighters watch
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2011, 12:20:40 PM »
A Tennessee couple helplessly watched their home burn to the ground, along with all of their possessions, because they did not pay a $75 annual fee to the local fire department.

Vicky Bell told the NBC affiliate WPSD-TV that she called 911 when her mobile home in Obion County caught fire. Firefighters arrived on the scene but as the fire raged, they simply stood by and did nothing. "In an emergency, the first thing you think of, 'Call 9-1-1," homeowner Bell said. However, Bell and her husband were forced to walk into the burning home in an attempt to retrieve their own belongings. "You could look out my mom's trailer and see the trucks sitting at a distance," Bell said. "We just wished we could've gotten more out."

South Fulton Mayor David Crocker defended the fire department, saying that if firefighters responded to non-subscribers, no one would have an incentive to pay the fee. Residents in the city of South Fulton receive the service automatically, but it is not extended to those living in the greater county-wide area.

"There's no way to go to every fire and keep up the manpower, the equipment, and just the funding for the fire department," Crocker said.

The South Fulton policy produced precisely the same nightmare scenario last year, when homeowner Gene Cranick--who had likewise failed to pay the $75 annual fee for rural Obion County residents--saw his house engulfed by flames as South Fulton firefighter watched close by. That incident sparked a debate among conservative pundits over the limits of fee-for-service approaches to government.

For his part, Mayor Crocker stressed that the city's  firefighters will help people in danger, even those who haven't paid the fee. "After the last situation, I would hope that everybody would be well aware of the rural fire fees, this time," Crocker said.
Link

WTF for a $75 fee why the fuck is it just included with the property taxes?   How could anyone not to mention firefighters sit around and just watch.  I would have been out there trying to help even if it was  neighbors I hated.

Agreed, just make it part of the fucking property tax.  And I would be out there too, not just because of my job either. 

Scrapheap

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2011, 03:27:29 PM »
This topic was already posted months ago... can't be arsed to find it.  :dunno:

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2011, 03:34:28 PM »

Well then here it is again...  I can't be arsed to remember what I posted :P

George Bernard Shaw

Offline 'andersom'

• Pure Chocolate Bovine PIMP of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • well known as hyke.
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2011, 03:44:46 PM »

Well then here it is again...  I can't be arsoned to remember what I posted :P

fixed
« Last Edit: December 07, 2011, 03:56:18 PM by hykeaswell »
I can do upside down chocolate moo things!

Offline 'andersom'

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • well known as hyke.
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2011, 03:46:59 PM »
The opening post sickens me btw.

Must be horrible to be a fire-fighter in that squad, and see a house burn down like that.

What would fire-fighters do in case it was a housing complex, and the inhabitant of only one of the apartments did not pay?

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2011, 03:52:07 PM »
Only hose off the adjoining ones? :dunno:  Seems silly I am sure where ever they live they pay taxes of some sort on the land so just what does that money get them?

George Bernard Shaw

Offline 'andersom'

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • well known as hyke.
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2011, 03:55:54 PM »
Only hose off the adjoining ones? :dunno:  Seems silly I am sure where ever they live they pay taxes of some sort on the land so just what does that money get them?

Only hose of the adjoining ones, and let the unpaid apartment be a fire-centre to keep the fire going, wrecking it's neighbours apartments? Soon no one will pay that $75 then.

Unless it is clear arson, to rip off insurance, there should be no bill for fire-fighters to do their job. Taxes have to cover that.

Offline Callaway

• Official Spokesperson for the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2011, 04:50:06 PM »

You mean that a similar topic was posted months ago, since a similar thing happened in the same county in Tennessee last year, as you can read in the article Parts posted. 

The South Fulton policy produced precisely the same nightmare scenario last year, when homeowner Gene Cranick--who had likewise failed to pay the $75 annual fee for rural Obion County residents--saw his house engulfed by flames as South Fulton firefighter watched close by.

I think that the $75 firefighter's fee is included in city taxes, but the fire happened in the county outside the city limits, where the fee is optional.

It was the same way in the town where I grew up. The city firefighters's services were covered in the city's property taxes, but the people out in the county outside the city limits had to pay an annual fee to have the services of the city's firefighters.  I think that they would come to your house even if you had not paid the fee, but they would ask for something like $200 to fight the fire if nobody's life was in jeopardy, while the annual fee was much lower if paid in advance, maybe something like $20.

My aunt lived outside the city limits in the county and her house caught fire and burned down one time.  I can't remember whether or not they paid the annual fee.

Scrapheap

« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2011, 04:54:14 PM »

You mean that a similar topic was posted months ago, since a similar thing happened in the same county in Tennessee last year, as you can read in the article Parts posted. 

The South Fulton policy produced precisely the same nightmare scenario last year, when homeowner Gene Cranick--who had likewise failed to pay the $75 annual fee for rural Obion County residents--saw his house engulfed by flames as South Fulton firefighter watched close by.

Oooooohh, you're right! same shit, different toilet!!  :laugh:

Offline skyblue1

• Overlooked of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2011, 05:42:12 PM »

I think that the $75 firefighter's fee is included in city taxes, but the fire happened in the county outside the city limits, where the fee is optional.

It was the same way in the town where I grew up. The city firefighters's services were covered in the city's property taxes, but the people out in the county outside the city limits had to pay an annual fee to have the services of the city's firefighters.  I think that they would come to your house even if you had not paid the fee, but they would ask for something like $200 to fight the fire if nobody's life was in jeopardy, while the annual fee was much lower if paid in advance, maybe something like $20.

My aunt lived outside the city limits in the county and her house caught fire and burned down one time.  I can't remember whether or not they paid the annual fee.
our fee is included in our county taxes

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2011, 05:51:15 PM »
I would think fire protection would be included in basic services where ever you lived

George Bernard Shaw

Offline Queen Victoria

• Ruler of Aspie Universe
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2011, 06:06:55 PM »
Most fire departments are funded by millages.  In order for the millages to be added to a property tax bill they have to be approved by the majority of the voters.  So the departments/government cannot independently add them to the bills.   

I wonder if this coverage and proof of payment would be required by a mortgage holder if the coverage is optional.  Does anyone know?
A good monarch is a treasure. A good politician is an oxymoron.

My brain is both uninhibited and uninhabited.

:qv:

Offline Phallacy

• Witchfinder General of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore
« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2011, 02:32:28 AM »
I believe I've heard of this incident months ago.

And to think it occurred in the "Volunteer" state. :orly:

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Invincible Heisenweeble of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore Beyond Teh Stupid
  • You're goddamn right.
« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2011, 04:37:26 AM »
I would think fire protection would be included in basic services where ever you lived

That's what I would have thought ... and if I'd lived elsewhere, I might have been wrong.
 As far as I know, there is no fee where I live.  How awful to send the firefighters to the
 scene and make them stand around doing nothing, they must hate that.  :thumbdn:
"I'm finding a lot of things funny lately, but I don't think they are."
--- Ripley, Alien Resurrection

"We are grateful for the time we have been given."
--- Edward Walker, The Village

People forget.
--- The Who, "Eminence Front"