Start here > Games

Post something good that happened today, Parts Two

<< < (1758/1773) > >>

Genesis:
I know ^__^

DirtDawg:
My wife working against her latest muscle pull from work, made a magnificent treat for lunch.

I had brought out some left over pulled pork to thaw. She saw that and thought "Onion Cake!" 

A sort of Anglicized version of a German dish, based on zweibelkucken (doubt the spelling is right).

Onions rendered (loaded), eggs (lots, almost a quiche), potatoes (you choose how many), some flour, cheese and bacon topping, baked forever on lowish until done and then the last bit at higher heat to brown it all.

Anyway, that is the way she learned the recipe from her Granny.
But I tried to search for "Onion Cake" there were many too many recipes to peruse for ideas.

So lunch was the good thing, pulled pork, onion cake, steamed broccoli. Orange Sherbet for dessert. A meal to remember.

renaeden:
I would definitely try that onion cake. Yum.

Sherbet here is a sweet powder. Is it different there?

I got to meet nice people at a games day but I'm glad it's over as well.

DirtDawg:

--- Quote from: renaeden on April 28, 2024, 02:56:15 AM ---I would definitely try that onion cake. Yum.

Sherbet here is a sweet powder. Is it different there?

I got to meet nice people at a games day but I'm glad it's over as well.

--- End quote ---

Over here, sherbet is a fruit based ice cream like sweet dish, but unlike ice cream which begins with an egg custard usually, sherbet uses gelatin to stiffen it up and give it substance.

The Onion Cake is delicious!  Zwiebelkuchen.
Look up recipes, but it is also one of those dishes you can fudge your way and it seems to come out perfect every time.
I think the key is the low and slow baking to make sure the eggy, almost quiche-like center is done completely.
Then of course brown it up to your liking once it's done inside.

My wife checks it for doneness with toothpick like any other cake.

Genesis:
Not having stuff to do on Sundays is great... just need to stay busy and hide in the basement.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version