Educational

Author Topic: Video Released of Texas Judge Beating Daughter  (Read 1317 times)

Offline El

• Unofficial Weird News Reporter of the Aspie Elite
  • News Box Slave
  • Almighty Postwhore
Re: Video Released of Texas Judge Beating Daughter
« Reply #60 on: November 05, 2011, 10:34:38 AM »
Part of why child abuse is on the rise is the inscreased stress (in general) of living nowadays.  I think we might also be getting more and more accurate measurements, or more and more people willing to talk about what's happening; stigma sure as hell still exists, but it is descreasing.

re:  the stat on physical punishment and children being "subjected" to it- not all corporal punishment is necessarily abusive, IMO.  But, the video is certainly an example of corporal punishment whichwas abusive.  Hitting that girl wasn't about disclipline.  It was an outpouring of rage on a victim who happened to be doing something the aggressor didn't want her to do.

In general there's at least one thing we could do systemically- won't, but we bloody well could- would be to improve the child protectove services we offer currently.  By and large this would amount to having more, better people in that field.  That won't happen because that would cost money (short term).  DCF/DSS/whatever you call it locally tends to be full over overworked and underpaid individuals who have far more cases than they could possibly handle competantly.  However, long-term I think it would save money, considering how (literally) expensive particularly traumatized/fucked-up people tend to be for the system later on.   (I believe I remember a study directly linking better ratios of DSS workers to reduced incidences of foster home abuse, in a state-to-state comparison, but I can't find it right now; I believe they to some extent did account for some of the confounding variables in that data.)
it is well known that PMS Elle is evil.
I think you'd fit in a 12" or at least a 16" firework mortar
You win this thread because that's most unsettling to even think about.

eris

« Reply #61 on: November 05, 2011, 03:19:24 PM »
I also think that not all corporal punishment is abuse. Especially between the ages of like 7 - 12 , one or two smacks on the ass can really correct someone that ages behavior as their personality is still basically mush. I do not think it would EVER work on a girl that age, and of course never to that extent. I heard him say, " I am going to beat you into submission." That happens from fear, not correcting behaviors.

Offline El

• News Box Slave
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #62 on: November 06, 2011, 11:56:11 AM »
I also think that not all corporal punishment is abuse. Especially between the ages of like 7 - 12 , one or two smacks on the ass can really correct someone that ages behavior as their personality is still basically mush. I do not think it would EVER work on a girl that age, and of course never to that extent. I heard him say, " I am going to beat you into submission." That happens from fear, not correcting behaviors.
*nod*

I almost pointed out (and ended up not bothering) that at her age, the appropriate response to her "stealing" things off the internet (other than appluading her frugality and making sure she has malwarebytes uploaded) would be to take her computer away for a period of time.  She's old enough to connect actions to consequences over a long enough timespan that corporal punishment is simply unnecessary and not especially pracrical to boot.

Offline Callaway

• Official Spokesperson for the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #63 on: November 06, 2011, 12:13:15 PM »
*nod*

I almost pointed out (and ended up not bothering) that at her age, the appropriate response to her "stealing" things off the internet (other than appluading her frugality and making sure she has malwarebytes uploaded) would be to take her computer away for a period of time.  She's old enough to connect actions to consequences over a long enough timespan that corporal punishment is simply unnecessary and not especially pracrical to boot.

I was thinking the same thing and I think that's what her mom ended up doing in addition to the corporal punishment except that she could still use the computer for her schoolwork.

Offline El

• News Box Slave
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #64 on: November 06, 2011, 02:12:00 PM »
*nod*

I was thinking the same thing and I think that's what her mom ended up doing in addition to the corporal punishment except that she could still use the computer for her schoolwork.
Jesus, I'd think after that beating the kid would've been punished enough for awhile.