Author Topic: Pre-crime  (Read 654 times)

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
Pre-crime
« on: October 13, 2011, 06:27:53 AM »
An internal U.S. Department of Homeland Security document indicates that a controversial program designed to predict whether a person will commit a crime is already being tested on some members of the public voluntarily, CNET has learned.

If this sounds a bit like the Tom Cruise movie called "Minority Report," or the CBS drama "Person of Interest," it is. But where "Minority Report" author Philip K. Dick enlisted psychics to predict crimes, DHS is betting on algorithms: it's building a "prototype screening facility" that it hopes will use factors such as ethnicity, gender, breathing, and heart rate to "detect cues indicative of mal-intent."
  link

This is so very disturbing just how far does the  Department of Homeland Security have to go before they are abolished they must be getting pretty fucking close.  I have a feeling I or anyone else uneasy in a crowd would set this off as I already get followed by security many places for basically being nervous in crowds. What will a positive hit on this system get you?  Ushered in to a small room and grouped by the TSA?  detained and kept from your business? followed?  put on a list? WHAT???  There still is a Constitution no matter how much they have beaten it down I don't see intentions of mal-intent as something that they could legally do anything about.

"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

Offline Al Swearegen

• Pussycat of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Always front on and in your face
Re: Pre-crime
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2011, 06:29:59 AM »
An internal U.S. Department of Homeland Security document indicates that a controversial program designed to predict whether a person will commit a crime is already being tested on some members of the public voluntarily, CNET has learned.

If this sounds a bit like the Tom Cruise movie called "Minority Report," or the CBS drama "Person of Interest," it is. But where "Minority Report" author Philip K. Dick enlisted psychics to predict crimes, DHS is betting on algorithms: it's building a "prototype screening facility" that it hopes will use factors such as ethnicity, gender, breathing, and heart rate to "detect cues indicative of mal-intent."
  link

This is so very disturbing just how far does the  Department of Homeland Security have to go before they are abolished they must be getting pretty fucking close.  I have a feeling I or anyone else uneasy in a crowd would set this off as I already get followed by security many places for basically being nervous in crowds. What will a positive hit on this system get you?  Ushered in to a small room and grouped by the TSA?  detained and kept from your business? followed?  put on a list? WHAT???  There still is a Constitution no matter how much they have beaten it down I don't see intentions of mal-intent as something that they could legally do anything about.

Agreed. They overstep their bounds
I2 today is not i2 of yesteryear. It is a knitting circle. Those that participate be they nice or asshats know their place and the price to be there. Odeon is the overlord

.Benevolent if you toe the line.

Think it is I2 of old? Even Odeon is not so delusional as to think otherwise. He may on occasionally pretend otherwise but his base is that knitting circle.

Censoring/banning/restricting/moderating myself, Calanadale & Scrapheap were all not his finest moments.

How to apologise to Scrap

Offline ProfessorFarnsworth

• Mad scientist at work
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Good news everyone!
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2011, 06:44:54 AM »
This is really open to serious abuse. But how can someone claim they know you're going to commit a crime and arrest you pre-emptively without any shred of evidence or probable cause at least? I can see this being a epic legal battle should someone be nabbed by this system.
Existence actually has two broad meanings despite its apparent meaningless. The constant reconciliation of all its parts, and the conservation of any closed system as a whole.

Morality can be extrapolated from these meanings to make these two commandments of godless morality: 1). Be in harmony with one another and 2). Care for the environment.

Offline Calavera

• The Intellectually Deficient of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2011, 06:47:00 AM »
We all know what will happen. People are going to protest against it, and the project cancelled.

Wouldn't worry too much.

Offline ProfessorFarnsworth

• Mad scientist at work
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Good news everyone!
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2011, 06:55:24 AM »
We all know what will happen. People are going to protest against it, and the project cancelled.

Wouldn't worry too much.

I think the idea of dealing with the lawyers and the legal implications of this would be a large enough deterrent as it is. The defence would have a field day mocking this. :laugh:
Existence actually has two broad meanings despite its apparent meaningless. The constant reconciliation of all its parts, and the conservation of any closed system as a whole.

Morality can be extrapolated from these meanings to make these two commandments of godless morality: 1). Be in harmony with one another and 2). Care for the environment.

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2011, 07:49:37 AM »

Wouldn't worry too much.

Like them feeling people up at airports,  oh wait they are still doing that aren't they.  People will oppose it and they will be called trouble makers, kooks, and criminals.  Why if you have nothing to hide why worry will be the response from DHS. 

George Bernard Shaw

Offline Callaway

• Official Spokesperson for the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2011, 07:53:16 AM »
It's definitely very disturbing.

eris

« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2011, 07:59:23 AM »
yes very disturbing.

I dont see how anything like this could lead to arrest or be proven in court, but could be enough to prove probable cause. Which scares me. I think I am always on the verge of wanting to commit a crime :D

Offline Icequeen

• News Box Slave
  • Insane Postwhore
  • I peopled today.
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2011, 08:02:22 AM »
This is scary.

I can just imagine being branded as a potential female unabomber. :zombiefuck:

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2011, 08:11:21 AM »
This is scary.

I can just imagine being branded as a potential female unabomber. :zombiefuck:

I really worry about this stuff all the time.  As I said I get followed by security all the time I believe it's because I look nervous and my tendency to  look at things most people don't.  I have an obsession with structures and how they are built and run.  I like to figure out just how everything is made and supported which is interpreted as very suspicions

George Bernard Shaw

Offline Calavera

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2011, 08:20:55 AM »

Wouldn't worry too much.

Like them feeling people up at airports,  oh wait they are still doing that aren't they.  People will oppose it and they will be called trouble makers, kooks, and criminals.  Why if you have nothing to hide why worry will be the response from DHS.

I still think it'll be cancelled soon.

Feeling people up at airports is somewhat more justifiable (although there should be automated sensors for that now).

Offline Icequeen

• News Box Slave
  • Insane Postwhore
  • I peopled today.
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2011, 08:23:03 AM »
Had to go to the courthouse a couple weeks back, even after they ran me through the scanner I noticed they kept watching me like I was carrying explosives or something.

Probably because I look around so much.

Took them awhile to scan my purse, I must have at least 5 lbs of change in the bottom of it.

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2011, 08:31:26 AM »

Wouldn't worry too much.

I still think it'll be cancelled soon.

Feeling people up at airports is somewhat more justifiable (although there should be automated sensors for that now).

None of it is justified,  it's all just a show to make us think they are doing something. 

Transportation Security Administration screeners at Chicago’s O’Hare International Airport missed more than 60% of bomb components which undercover agents attempted to smuggle through airport checkpoints, according to a classified report.
link

George Bernard Shaw

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2011, 08:33:38 AM »
Had to go to the courthouse a couple weeks back, even after they ran me through the scanner I noticed they kept watching me like I was carrying explosives or something.

Probably because I look around so much.

Took them awhile to scan my purse, I must have at least 5 lbs of change in the bottom of it.

They hate me I always set the scanners off. 

George Bernard Shaw

Offline Calavera

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2011, 08:39:37 AM »
Must be the body language. I was stopped by the police on two different occasions on the streets for no real reason. But then again I did look shifty with the clothes I was wearing at both times.