Author Topic: How can I not be myself ?  (Read 662 times)

Offline Squidusa

• Cephalopod Succubus of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
  • I can haz Perseus?
Re: How can I not be myself ?
« Reply #15 on: September 25, 2011, 08:22:42 AM »
Trying to fit into a crowd is part of you, too. you may not like it, but pretending not to be you is part of being you.

What about those who lie about their sexuality?
That's not being them.

There are also those who pretend not to be themselves because of things like bullying, to me that just seems like acting a part rather than being a part of them.  :dunno:
I'll just diagnose myself as Goddess of the Universe and have done with it. Hell with autism!  :green: :zoinks:

nice is just something written on biscuits.  

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #16 on: September 25, 2011, 08:27:21 AM »
Trying to fit into a crowd is part of you, too. you may not like it, but pretending not to be you is part of being you.

That's not being them.

There are also those who pretend not to be themselves because of things like bullying, to me that just seems like acting a part rather than being a part of them.  :dunno:

I'd say that for better or worse, it's part of who they are, too.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline Squidusa

• Cephalopod Succubus of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
  • I can haz Perseus?
« Reply #17 on: September 25, 2011, 08:35:50 AM »

That's not being them.

I'd say that for better or worse, it's part of who they are, too.

I hadn't really thought of submissive natures (don't get excited Eris  :P) now I think of it  you do have a point there.
I'll just diagnose myself as Goddess of the Universe and have done with it. Hell with autism!  :green: :zoinks:

nice is just something written on biscuits.  

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Invincible Heisenweeble of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore Beyond Teh Stupid
  • You're goddamn right.
« Reply #18 on: September 26, 2011, 06:28:01 AM »
 "Being myself" (hoarder, procrastinator, slob) is doing me harm lately.  I need to reprogram myself.   :chin:
"I'm finding a lot of things funny lately, but I don't think they are."
--- Ripley, Alien Resurrection

"We are grateful for the time we have been given."
--- Edward Walker, The Village

People forget.
--- The Who, "Eminence Front"

P7PSP

« Reply #19 on: September 26, 2011, 06:44:51 AM »
"Being myself" (hoarder, procrastinator, slob) is doing me harm lately.  I need to reprogram myself.   :chin:
That is a tough job.

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Invincible Heisenweeble of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore Beyond Teh Stupid
  • You're goddamn right.
« Reply #20 on: September 26, 2011, 06:54:59 AM »
That is a tough job.

Yes it is, not helped by my guilt about throwing away anything "useful," no matter how many years it's been
 uselessly stuffed into a plastic bag, taking up space in my closet.  Begone, Catholic guilt!  :christ:
"I'm finding a lot of things funny lately, but I don't think they are."
--- Ripley, Alien Resurrection

"We are grateful for the time we have been given."
--- Edward Walker, The Village

People forget.
--- The Who, "Eminence Front"

midlifeaspie

« Reply #21 on: September 26, 2011, 05:36:18 PM »

That is a much simpler way of saying what I was trying to say.  Part of being me is adding a lot of extra words I guess.

eris

« Reply #22 on: September 26, 2011, 05:44:39 PM »
Part of being myself is accepting good and bad, and that sometimes means contradicting myself. When I was 8 I liked looney toons. I dont anymore. It was strange, I was talking to my dad a while ago and he mentioned that. He asked me if I still watched them. I told him of course I don't, I'm 31 friggin years old. But I will always be 8 to him, almost to a disadvantage. I mean he thinks I am naive. I mentioned the movie A clockwork orange to him once, and he immediately went HOW DO YOU KNOW ABOUT THAT MOVIE >:( . Well, dad, i'm 31 friggin years old. I also thought it was funny that he waited till I was 20 years old and living with a man for 2 years before he asked me if I knew about safe sex.

So, I am my dad's little girl. I don't think I'll ever be an adult to him. I am my bosses workhorse, and he will never see me as a little girl. I am my brothers pain in the ass. To some boys I am an authority figure. To some I am a fictional character. To some I am a sweetheart. To some I am a chump and a fool. Some people have loved me. Some people have hated me.

I have no obligation to be any individual thing to anyone, yet I am sure that all of these things make up who I really am, and that person is constantly changing.