Educational

Author Topic: They broke physics! Good going CERN  (Read 616 times)

midlifeaspie

Re: They broke physics! Good going CERN
« Reply #15 on: September 23, 2011, 03:23:49 PM »
Yeah.. and I find it hard to imagine. Like to see more empirical evidence though.

Indeed.  Could be very interesting.  Maybe the reason that nobody can find the TOE is because they have only been working within the framework of Einstein's TOR.  Remove that boundary and perhaps the answer is waiting just outside.

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Invincible Heisenweeble of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore Beyond Teh Stupid
  • You're goddamn right.
« Reply #16 on: September 25, 2011, 04:48:25 AM »
This thread makes me wish I knew more about physics.

This thread makes me wish I could comprehend stuff.  :dunce:
"I'm finding a lot of things funny lately, but I don't think they are."
--- Ripley, Alien Resurrection

"We are grateful for the time we have been given."
--- Edward Walker, The Village

People forget.
--- The Who, "Eminence Front"

Offline Calavera

• The Intellectually Deficient of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #17 on: September 25, 2011, 05:58:03 AM »
Anything new?

Offline Peter

• Amazing Cyber-Human Hybrid
  • Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
14:10 - Moarskrillex42: She said something about knowing why I wanted to move to Glasgow when she came in. She plopped down on my bed and told me to go ahead and open it for her.

14:11 - Peter5930: So, she thought I was your lover and that I was sending you a box full of sex toys, and that you wanted to move to Glasgow to be with me?

Offline Calavera

• The Intellectually Deficient of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #19 on: September 25, 2011, 08:18:48 AM »
Thanks for the links.

Wasn't there a live science debate about this that went on recently?

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #20 on: September 25, 2011, 08:26:20 AM »
IIRC, the theory of relativity does not address speeds faster than light, but results in the speed of light as a specific speed that cannot be achieved by anything with a mass.

The theory of relativity is a model that seems to explains the sub-light speed world quite nicely, but I very much doubt that Einstein or any other physicist would seriously consider it to be all there is, the absolute truth.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline Peter

• Amazing Cyber-Human Hybrid
  • Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
« Reply #21 on: September 25, 2011, 08:50:42 AM »
Thanks for the links.

Wasn't there a live science debate about this that went on recently?

There was a live webcast from CERN a couple of days ago, but I don't think it was a debate.
14:10 - Moarskrillex42: She said something about knowing why I wanted to move to Glasgow when she came in. She plopped down on my bed and told me to go ahead and open it for her.

14:11 - Peter5930: So, she thought I was your lover and that I was sending you a box full of sex toys, and that you wanted to move to Glasgow to be with me?

Scrapheap

« Reply #22 on: September 28, 2011, 11:26:30 AM »
I thought it was already understood that neutrinos and other sub-atomic particles can travel faster than light.  :dunno:

AFAIK, the speed of light speed limit, only applies to atoms.

That's why, right after the big bang, the universe expanded faster than the speed of light (cosmic inflation), because atoms hadn't formed yet.

The universe is 13.7 B years old, but it is far more than 27.4 B light years across. That means it had to travel at much faster than the speed of light for quite some time.

The theory is that the "fabric" of the universe is expanding at the same time.  So light is travelling along the the "fabric" at the speed of light, but travelling faster as the "fabric" is also expanding.

A photon is a subatomic particle.

I was refering to inflationary theory. Both the fabric of space time AND the physical matter within it, exceded the speed of light, because protons and neutrons didn't exist yet, nor did light.

Photons are actually much bigger than atoms. they just have almost no mass.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2011, 11:29:08 AM by Grease Monkey »

Offline ProfessorFarnsworth

• Mad scientist at work
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Good news everyone!
« Reply #23 on: September 28, 2011, 10:46:57 PM »
Question for any physics person to answer, as I'm still not 100% understanding on this but:

With the phenomena of Neutrino Oscillations, when a neutrino charges flavour (say from electron neutrino to tau neutrino), wouldn't it's velocity change in accordance to it's change of mass to conserve momentum? If not, how is the conservation of momentum justified?

That bugs me a lot. It seems it implies neutrinos have variable velocities as they travel, and perhaps there's a fourth oscillation state (or something happens while in a superposition of two flavours) that somehow achieves FTL (Its mass drops to zero for a moment, giving it all to velocity, or something like that), but the speed averages out as only being a tiny bit faster than light under special circumstances. Hmmm. :chin:
« Last Edit: September 28, 2011, 10:49:26 PM by ProfessorFarnsworth »
Existence actually has two broad meanings despite its apparent meaningless. The constant reconciliation of all its parts, and the conservation of any closed system as a whole.

Morality can be extrapolated from these meanings to make these two commandments of godless morality: 1). Be in harmony with one another and 2). Care for the environment.

midlifeaspie

« Reply #24 on: September 29, 2011, 09:55:29 AM »
Question for any physics person to answer, as I'm still not 100% understanding on this but:

With the phenomena of Neutrino Oscillations, when a neutrino charges flavour (say from electron neutrino to tau neutrino), wouldn't it's velocity change in accordance to it's change of mass to conserve momentum? If not, how is the conservation of momentum justified?

That bugs me a lot. It seems it implies neutrinos have variable velocities as they travel, and perhaps there's a fourth oscillation state (or something happens while in a superposition of two flavours) that somehow achieves FTL (Its mass drops to zero for a moment, giving it all to velocity, or something like that), but the speed averages out as only being a tiny bit faster than light under special circumstances. Hmmm. :chin:

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #25 on: September 29, 2011, 03:40:53 PM »

I don't know a lot about neutrino oscillations, but wouldn't the Heisenberg principle make the simultaneous observations that are required difficult?

Then again, I would imagine that the maths covering (relativistic) conservation of momentum is probably not fully valid for FTL.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline Al Swearegen

• Pussycat of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Always front on and in your face
« Reply #26 on: September 30, 2011, 10:46:36 AM »
There is more than a little conjecture that they simply miscalculated and that Einstein can not be ruled out just yet. Maybe the E=mc2 theory still holds water?
I2 today is not i2 of yesteryear. It is a knitting circle. Those that participate be they nice or asshats know their place and the price to be there. Odeon is the overlord

.Benevolent if you toe the line.

Think it is I2 of old? Even Odeon is not so delusional as to think otherwise. He may on occasionally pretend otherwise but his base is that knitting circle.

Censoring/banning/restricting/moderating myself, Calanadale & Scrapheap were all not his finest moments.

How to apologise to Scrap

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #27 on: September 30, 2011, 03:26:56 PM »
There is a lot of doubt right now but I'm sure the experiment needs to be repeated anyway. I'll be interested in following what they can come up with.

- Albert Einstein