Educational

Author Topic: What have you done today? (Pt 2)  (Read 189435 times)

Offline renaeden

• Complicated Case of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
Re: What have you done today? (Pt 2)
« Reply #9135 on: August 12, 2018, 11:39:02 PM »
^Can't make out what any of that is.

This morning I gave my friend a lift to her doctor appointment.
Then I came home and wrote down some affirmations from Pinterest to be used for an art project we're working on at the mental health place I go to. That's where I went at about 10am.
Came home and had lunch (leftover potato bake).
Walked to the chemist for meds.
Now I'm going to try shifting stuff in my room to its final location.
Mildly Cute in a Retarded Way
Tek'ma'tae

Offline Tequila

• Elder
  • Postwhore
« Reply #9136 on: August 12, 2018, 11:48:03 PM »
Ate a tangerine.

Offline Lestat

• Pharmaceutical dustbin of the autie elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Homo stercore veteris, heterodiem
« Reply #9137 on: August 13, 2018, 12:55:27 AM »
The first pic, Ren, shows the ammonia generator, an Erlenmeyer flask with a claisen head attached to the joint, it ,
has a mixture of dry sodium hydroxide (caustic soda) and an ammonium salt, hydroxide is a much stronger base than ammonia so if one mixes an ammonium salt with something like an alkali metal hydroxide base, the stronger base kick out the weaker one, so say, NaOH+ammonium phosphate would react  to give sodium phosphate and free ammoniia  gas.

That was the second gas generator, I tried doing it in solution and got nothing. Mixing the two dry and then adding water, ccarefully and slowly, I added too  much H2O too quickly once and it reacted in a truly volcanic way, spewing hot brown sludge and ammonia gas, stinking and corrosive, plus the caustic. Coming out like a fucking rocket, and no way I could put my hands near it to stick a plug in the open joint, it was just too fast and too damn violent.

The second pic is where the ammonia generator was piping the NH3 in to, took a pic of the neat smoke-misty/fog, its a beaker of formcic acid with a piece of plastigc tubing going in and attached at the other end to the gas tap outlet in the claisen adapter, to as to pipe the outflow of the gas generator through the beaker of acid to prepare  ammonium formate,.

It just had a really neat mist/fog effect that creeped  up and out of  the beaker and down the kitchen.
Beyond the pale. Way, way beyond the pale.

Requiescat in pacem, Wolfish, beloved of Pyraxis.

Offline renaeden

• Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #9138 on: August 13, 2018, 03:57:22 AM »
Maybe a tripod could be useful when taking photos like that, to stop that doubling effect, making the pictures clearer. Because in that second one I'm aware of the neat effect, just can't see it properly.
Tek'ma'tae

Offline Lestat

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #9139 on: August 13, 2018, 06:24:53 AM »
Yeah it would be a lot better Ren. Not the best lighting for pics either, that part of the house lighting, I was working in the kitchen for reasons of having enough space at the time, and the lights there are awful for taking pictures, especially in night time conditions.

But anyhow, I have been shopping, drank a strawberry and banana smoothie and been working for a couple of days on a batch of 'phet; putting in day and night shiftss without more of  a break than sitting down on the sofa for a few.

Offline Tequila

• Elder
  • Postwhore
« Reply #9140 on: August 13, 2018, 09:22:26 AM »
I tried looking at the EXIF and I couldn't determine the make and model of the camera.  If you let me know what the make and model is, I might be able to teach you how to use it.  Hold the camera very steady to begin with.

Offline Lestat

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #9141 on: August 13, 2018, 12:29:45 PM »
Tequila-given my line of work, I delete all exif data before I either uplooad a picture anywhere or keep it. It is vital OpSec, people have been taken down by the filth because they posted pictures which hadn't been stripped of EXIF data.

So  I  strip all pictures of anything, no matter what the content might be, are stripped of EXIF data. I'm not giving the filth the chance to nick  me  because  I left EXIF  data in a picture. I know how to  use my camera, but i am not going to reveal such information as the make or model  of my camera.

Offline Lestat

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #9142 on: August 13, 2018, 05:36:14 PM »
Cleaned a whole load of chemistry-related stuff from the kitchen earlier in the day.

And just finished effecting a transfer of some elemental bromine from a two-necked flask, at the bottom of some bromine-water (in this case actually a saturated solution of sodium bromide, also containing some dissolved bromine, as Br2 does have a slight solubility in water). The Br2 was prepared by passing chlorine gas through a saturated solution of NaBr in H2O, and, just as a stronger base will displace a weaker base from its salts, such as NaOH displacing the ammonium cation to give ammonia from ammonium salts, the more electronegative halogen, in this case, chlorine, will displace less electronegative halogens from their salts.

Although the reaction does form some interhalogen side products too, which are extremely aggressive oxidizers, volatile and extremely toxic, although in some cases they can be hydrolyzed with relative ease in contact with water, whilst the halogens themselves aren't affected. Or in the case of BrCl, while unlike iodine monochloride, which hydrolyzes pretty easily, or iodine trichloride which is so unstable it actually has to be stored under an atmosphere of dry chlorine gas or it will disproportionate into iodine monochloride and Cl2 over time. Although not with extreme rapidity. Not sure how rapidly iodine trichloride hydrolyzes in water, I am having..issues, you might say, with getting a glassware setup apart after some ICl3 diffused into the ground glass joints and the fuckers are all seized up, so I HAVE some ICl3 that I made, but I can't actually GET to it, because my fucking glassware is stuck together, whilst the ICl3 is stabilized by virtue of the spent contents of the chlorine gas generator slowly off-gassing a little Cl2. Its annoying as hell, because there is a fair bit in there but I can't get to it, and I don't want to risk being rough with the glass, and accidentally break it, and worse, the reaction with the contents of the chlorine generator with the large plug of crystalline iodine trichloride, which is actually very attractive in appearance, being neatly shaped crystals of a great looking golden-orange colour, could potentially be very violent and give off a great deal of virulently toxic fumes.

BrCl doesn't hydrolyze very quickly at all from what I've read, but it is gaseous at room temperature, having a boiling point of around 8 'C, so normally its a golden-browny yellow (and HIGHLY toxic) gas and shouldn't hang around too easily.

Offline Pyraxis

• Werewolf Wrangler of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • aka Daria
« Reply #9143 on: August 13, 2018, 08:35:40 PM »
Was weirdly productive. Got groceries, did the laundry (that reminds me I need to take it out of the dryer), mowed the front lawn (after much baby-consoling and putting him just inside the screen door so he could still see me but the noise didn't bother him too much), did some daycare research.
You'll never self-actualize the subconscious canopy of stardust with that attitude.

Offline Lestat

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #9144 on: August 14, 2018, 10:14:53 PM »
Awww you are such a sweet mom, 'raxy. I already knew you would be a good mother, but that just shows your kindness and good heart. I think it perhaps, you are as well-made to be a damn good mother as you and Wolfy were made to be damn good mates for each other.

Offline Tequila

• Elder
  • Postwhore
« Reply #9145 on: August 16, 2018, 10:10:19 AM »
More procedure, then my mother came and I had my hair cut.  After that, more browsing, more listening to folk music.  Having dinner now.

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #9146 on: August 16, 2018, 11:59:30 AM »
Worked. Met with my physiotherapist. Worked some more. Renewed my spazz meds subscriptions. Worked some more. Walked the dog. Did the dishes. Logged on here.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline Queen Victoria

• Ruler of Aspie Universe
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #9147 on: August 16, 2018, 04:27:20 PM »
Forgot to post this earlier in the week.

The A/C compressor was being swamped by some bushes and weeds.  None of which I had planted.  I cut down a whole lot of elderberry bushes and Carolina Jessamine.  Lot of hard work, but the A/C is now a happy camper.
A good monarch is a treasure. A good politician is an oxymoron.

My brain is both uninhibited and uninhabited.

:qv:

Online rock hound

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • The Lurker at the Threshold.
« Reply #9148 on: August 16, 2018, 07:56:10 PM »
A whole lot of shit that Carla needed me to do and got it done quickly and efficiently.
"Some books are to be tasted.  Others to be swallowed.  And some few to be chewed and digested."  --Sir Francis Bacon

"Civilization exists by geologic consent.  Subject to change without notice."  --Will Durant

Offline renaeden

• Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #9149 on: August 17, 2018, 01:23:15 AM »
Got up early and drove over an hour to attend a funeral for my great nephew. Poor little thing.

Drove back in time to go and pick Kayleigh up from the doctors. Went to the chemist for meds and then to the shops for a few groceries. Had lunch at home.
Tek'ma'tae