Author Topic: Effective allergy medicine?  (Read 367 times)

Offline Phallacy

• Witchfinder General of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore
Effective allergy medicine?
« on: September 10, 2011, 05:36:15 AM »
My nose is stuffed and leaks. My eyes are red and itch. This sucks. I want to know some truly effective over-the-counter allergy medicine. If it's an antihistamine, then it will NOT work on me. This really pisses me off! Thanks. >:(

eris

Re: Effective allergy medicine?
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2011, 05:44:42 AM »
Most anti allergy medications are anti histamines because allergies are caused by releasing them. There are some nasal sprays that are anti histamine, just ask the pharmacist at the drug store. Why wont anti-histamine work ?

Oh, and eat a spoonful of LOCAL honey every week. Honey is bee vomit made from flowers, and if it is bee vomit made from your local plants it will boost your immune system and make you more resistant to those allergies.

P7PSP

« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2011, 06:36:20 AM »
Loratadine 10 mg.

Offline Callaway

• Official Spokesperson for the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2011, 08:41:05 AM »
Most anti allergy medications are anti histamines because allergies are caused by releasing them. There are some nasal sprays that are anti histamine, just ask the pharmacist at the drug store. Why wont anti-histamine work ?

Oh, and eat a spoonful of LOCAL honey every week. Honey is bee vomit made from flowers, and if it is bee vomit made from your local plants it will boost your immune system and make you more resistant to those allergies.

I would have said eat local honey every day instead of every week, but if you can get local bee pollen from a beekeeper, it will work even better.  Start out eating a single  little grain of bee pollen every day and work your way up from that, in case you are very allergic to it.  If you are fine with a single grain of pollen a day for a week, then increase it to two, then three, then four, and so on. 

Offline Queen Victoria

• Ruler of Aspie Universe
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2011, 10:26:05 AM »
If your're allergic to mold and mildew there's not much you can do.  It will flare up when the rain causes the mold and mildew to become active.  Dry any wet areas in (kitchen, bathroom) your apartment, use bleach (sparingly) to kill the suckers.  If it's on/in walls there's not much you can do.

If it's an allergy to an outside allergan (grass, weeds, etc) consider vacuuming/mopping the apartment to get rid of any allergans brought in.  Then when you're outside wear a jacket and a hat.  If necessary (and if you won't get shot/arrested) wear a face mask. When you get inside take the jacket off and put it in a plastic bag.  Do a quick wipe off of your face, hands, hair, pants and shoes with a damp cloth. Take a shower each time you go out and wash your hair.  This keeps the allergans from getting on the furniture and sheets and pillows.

Not easy, but it works for us.

If the allergy meds aren't working could you try taking them more often than the recommended dosing?  We do it without too much problems, but you would have to be alert for side effects.
A good monarch is a treasure. A good politician is an oxymoron.

My brain is both uninhibited and uninhabited.

:qv:

Offline Phallacy

• Elder
  • Postwhore
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2011, 11:17:42 AM »
I think my allergies are usually more indoor than out, because when I have nasal congestion and go outside, it gets better.

eris

« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2011, 10:31:20 PM »
If an anti-histamine doesnt work, and it is only indoors, maybe there is something in your house making an explosion of irritants and may not be allergies. Do you change your air conditioner filter often ?

Offline Phallacy

• Elder
  • Postwhore
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2011, 10:38:57 PM »
If an anti-histamine doesnt work, and it is only indoors, maybe there is something in your house making an explosion of irritants and may not be allergies. Do you change your air conditioner filter often ?

I cleaned it about a week ago. These allergies do not happen often, but when they do, it's freaking annoying.

Offline Icequeen

• News Box Slave
  • Insane Postwhore
  • I peopled today.
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2011, 12:19:20 PM »
Claritin (Loratadine) works well for the itchy eyes, does squat for the nasal congestion for me unless it's very mild. Sometimes combined with a saline or better grade nasal spray it works.

For the "I can't breathe and if I don't get some sleep someone is going to die" days. Advil cold & sinus is the only thing that works for me, and sometimes it doesn't kick in until the second dose. Need a photo id & a signature to buy it anymore here though since it contains pseudoephedrine.

midlifeaspie

« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2011, 10:40:09 AM »
Loratadine 10 mg.

I would suggest the same thing, except it is an anti-histamine.

An allergic reaction is a histamine response.  The only effective medication to treat a histamine response is an anti-histamine.  I have no idea what you are asking for here. 

Offline renaeden

• Complicated Case of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2011, 08:30:18 PM »
I take Phenergan, that is an antihistamine though. It is good to take for a nice night's sleep. :)
Mildly Cute in a Retarded Way
Tek'ma'tae

Offline 'andersom'

• Pure Chocolate Bovine PIMP of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • well known as hyke.
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2011, 07:07:39 AM »
I think my allergies are usually more indoor than out, because when I have nasal congestion and go outside, it gets better.

Do you live in a dry place or a moist one?

If it is moist, ventilating the room might help more.

If it is dry, spraying the room with a plant spray with some clean water. Not a lot, just a bit. Water particles will get on dust, and will make dust settle.
Knew a guy who did that every night before sleeping, and, in a house where I lived with very allergic housemates, the use of the plant spray was default after vacuuming.
I can do upside down chocolate moo things!