Educational

Author Topic: International Intense Dictionary  (Read 628 times)

Offline Queen Victoria

• Ruler of Aspie Universe
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
International Intense Dictionary
« on: September 12, 2011, 04:26:23 PM »
In New Orleans:

Cayoodle = mutt **
Banquette = sidewalk
Neutral ground = median  **
Lagniappe = a little something extra given in a purchase
Ersters = oysters
Crawdad = crawfish, crayfish
Swimps = shrimps
Po'boy = sandwich made on french bread
Dressed = add lettuce and tomato to a sandwich
Zinc = sink, as in kitchen sink **

** indicates it's not heard much anymore
A good monarch is a treasure. A good politician is an oxymoron.

My brain is both uninhibited and uninhabited.

:qv:

midlifeaspie

Re: International Intense Dictionary
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2011, 04:34:26 PM »
In New Orleans:

Cayoodle = mutt **
Banquette = sidewalk
Neutral ground = median  **
Lagniappe = a little something extra given in a purchase
Ersters = oysters
Crawdad = crawfish, crayfish
Swimps = shrimps
Po'boy = sandwich made on french bread
Dressed = add lettuce and tomato to a sandwich
Zinc = sink, as in kitchen sink **

** indicates it's not heard much anymore

Did you annex France?  :hyke:

eris

« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2011, 09:32:42 AM »
Do people say erte ( prononced "ett" ) instead of have ? I have heard was used in Franglish areas of the Us. Maybe not even all the time but "Erte a good day" was a popular saying. I dont know if this means Main or NOLA, though, and I am unsure of it's current usage. 

eris

« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2011, 09:44:43 AM »
I am finding this current US trend (at least among the youth) to change every verb into a "u" a bit strange ( here = hurr ) because where I live there is a tendency to make every verb into an "ah" ( down = daahn or sour= saahr)

In Pittsburgh we have our own language too. :) There is even a wiki on it http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pittsburgh_English

yinz = you all
yar = you are
nebby = nosy
redd up = clean the house
redd off = clean the table
dippy = sunny side up eggs
gumband = rubber band
jaggov = jerk
sup wif u = hi !
done blowdup = broken

and a few hundred more

and my personal favorite "Kennywoods open !", which means your fly is down :D

Here is a "Pittsburgh to English Translator "

http://www.pittsburghese.com/translator.shtml

« Last Edit: September 13, 2011, 10:08:34 AM by eris »

Offline Queen Victoria

• Ruler of Aspie Universe
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2011, 11:30:17 AM »
Do people say erte ( prononced "ett" ) instead of have ? I have heard was used in Franglish areas of the Us. Maybe not even all the time but "Erte a good day" was a popular saying. I dont know if this means Main or NOLA, though, and I am unsure of it's current usage.

No, but I was once corrected at Toastmasters for saying, "I've got....."  The correct statement is, "I have...."  (Why does this post start out like I've stayed at a Holiday Inn last night?)
A good monarch is a treasure. A good politician is an oxymoron.

My brain is both uninhibited and uninhabited.

:qv:

The_Chosen_One

« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2011, 06:01:55 PM »
What gives me the shits is when an Aussie goes accross to the states, say Greg Norman, and then after a year or so he speaks with a fluent American accent. What makes it so hard for people to understand the native dialect and why should people have to change just to be understood?

Same thing with Hugh Laurie - who played George in Blackadder Goes Forth, and is now more commonly known as House. I could understand using the accent for the show, but to continually use it at other times?

eris

« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2011, 06:11:21 PM »
when I moved to pa I lost my west virginia accent in a few years :D And it IS quite different.

The_Chosen_One

« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2011, 06:53:27 PM »
And with what I said earlier, I wouldn't expect QV, cbc, PPK, MLA or any other American here to change their accent if they move to Australia. I think everyone should be able to speak the language or dialect they were brought up with, and people should be able to understand it.

But then again, this mainly applies to forms of English.

Offline renaeden

• Complicated Case of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2011, 07:51:54 PM »
As I understand it, the Aussie accent is the easiest to lose but the hardest to gain. Anyone that comes over here from another country never loses their accent, even if they are here for 20+ years. But if an Australian goes over to the UK or US for a year or so they lose their Aussie accent.
Mildly Cute in a Retarded Way
Tek'ma'tae

Offline Peter

• Amazing Cyber-Human Hybrid
  • Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2011, 05:20:11 AM »
As I understand it, the Aussie accent is the easiest to lose but the hardest to gain. Anyone that comes over here from another country never loses their accent, even if they are here for 20+ years. But if an Australian goes over to the UK or US for a year or so they lose their Aussie accent.

I've heard the opposite said about Scottish accents.

I have lived outside my native Scotland for more than half my life, but I still have a Scottish accent. You could drop me in the Amazonian rainforest to live with the local indigenous people, with no contact with native English speakers for the next 50 years, and I would still emerge sounding the way I do now.

Of course, I’d probably leave behind a tribe of Amazonians who speak English with a Scottish accent, say “wee” when describing something small or young, use the shortened version of vowels (the words “cot” and “caught” sound the same), and drop the G from words ending in “ing”.
14:10 - Moarskrillex42: She said something about knowing why I wanted to move to Glasgow when she came in. She plopped down on my bed and told me to go ahead and open it for her.

14:11 - Peter5930: So, she thought I was your lover and that I was sending you a box full of sex toys, and that you wanted to move to Glasgow to be with me?

Offline Charlotte Quin

• Abbess from the Abyss
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2011, 07:01:18 AM »

I remember a girl from school who went on exchange to the US with her parents for 12 months, and she came back with a full fledged american accent. After only 12 months!

Offline 'andersom'

• Pure Chocolate Bovine PIMP of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • well known as hyke.
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2011, 07:32:25 AM »
I change accents extremely fast. People who talk to me at the phone can hear where I have been.
I always was like that. Some grammar things will give away to the really good listener I am somewhere from the north though.
Other people keep their accent, no matter where they go, even fifty years later.

I think it has more to do with who is speaking than with what accent it is.

I live in a village that has citizens from all over the country. The older generation lives here over 50 years now. Some still speak with their home tongue, others are part of the blend in their talking.
I can do upside down chocolate moo things!

eris

« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2011, 08:02:36 AM »
I still have certain words that will always be affected. Sometimes people will notice I am not from this area, but they have to be paying attention. My original accent is the most hated of all amongst my own countrymen :) It is often mocked. I come from the rather trashy part of the South.

Oh, and when I get drunk or go back home, it comes back slightly! :

this is all I could find to give an example, I wish I could have found a more intelligent person to give a good example but that is rare on youtube.

This is supposed to teach you how to speak with a southern accent. He doesnt sound right to me. :D

but he makes one good point: Americans generally pronounce their R's strongly, no matter what dialect

How To Get A Southern American Accent

Quote from: youtube
Can he make a "How to get a Ghetto accent" video?
TTSmylevel97 2 weeks ago 36 +
« Last Edit: September 14, 2011, 08:18:27 AM by eris »

midlifeaspie

« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2011, 08:48:49 AM »

Probably depends on where they go also.  There are 5 or 6 distinctly different American accents that are so different from one another that I, as an American, can't even fake one.

eris

« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2011, 09:21:17 AM »

Probably depends on where they go also.  There are 5 or 6 distinctly different American accents that are so different from one another that I, as an American, can't even fake one.

I think that most people that are not from america have never heard most of them honestly. In the media and news outlet , it is the general, flat, "new york or la" generic accent.

Yes probably 5 or 6 distinct and major ones and then sleight variations that only regional people notice. Maybe dozens. I think there are 3 different accents that people could call southern. Northern south ( WV, KY, SE OH, VA) and then the deep south ( GA, AL, N FL) and then I think LA, MI area  has a distinct sound as well.