Educational

Author Topic: Dox47  (Read 4639 times)

Offline 'Butterflies'

• Mastermind of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
Re: Dox47
« Reply #45 on: August 28, 2011, 07:53:23 PM »
OMG I cant believe you yanks tip so much. Ive known a couple of people who were delivery drivers, and have known plenty of people who got food delivered.
Its not uncommon for them to be tipped as little as £0.20, or even less.
I've also never heard of people tipping "per pizza." I would give the same tip if Im getting 5 pizzas, as I would if Im just getting 1.

The_Chosen_One

« Reply #46 on: August 28, 2011, 07:59:53 PM »
We rarely ever tip. It's not customary here for people to rely on tips for income, so anyone with their hand out looking for a tip, or expecting one could get this:

'Wanna tip? Try backing Maori's Idol in the 5th at Moonee Valley'.

But if we DO tip, it would only be if we got really great service, and not because we were getting service.

Osensitive1

« Reply #47 on: August 28, 2011, 08:01:52 PM »

OMG I cant believe you yanks tip so much. Ive known a couple of people who were delivery drivers, and have known plenty of people who got food delivered.
Its not uncommon for them to be tipped as little as £0.20, or even less.
I've also never heard of people tipping "per pizza." I would give the same tip if Im getting 5 pizzas, as I would if Im just getting 1.
Tips for food service are based as a percentage of the bill, so only seems right to tip more for a larger purchase.  .20 is just wrong. Wouldn't want to take food from someone after having given a bad tip in the past.

eris

« Reply #48 on: August 28, 2011, 08:04:30 PM »
yea, I dont really agree with having to tip but they really do rely on that. Waiters do not make minimum wage - something like 4$ an hour only. Some restaurants say you HAVE to tip, or automatically add it to a bill even.

There was only one time I didnt tip. A few years ago I went to Dennys and the woman NEVER came back. Not once. I had to go to the manager and ask for my bill because the woman never came to check on us. He apologized generically and unenthusiastically. I told him I didnt think I should pay for my drink since I wasnt offered refills. He removed the charge and yawned, and I left.

Offline 'Butterflies'

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #49 on: August 28, 2011, 08:22:10 PM »
I dont think we tip delivery drivers with a percentage of the cost of the meal. At least, Ive never heard of anyone doing it.
Its more common just to let them "keep the change" 
Anything over £1 is seen as a good tip here.
We do usually get charged a delivery fee on top of the price of the meal, although some places advertise "no delivery fee" if you are within a ceetain distace of the shop.

Osensitive1

« Reply #50 on: August 28, 2011, 08:31:52 PM »
Never really thought to ask how others do it. A dollar per pizza is about 10%, and consider that acceptable for delivery. Of course 20% or more is customary for resturant service.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2011, 08:34:24 PM by Jack »

Offline 'Butterflies'

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #51 on: August 28, 2011, 08:47:45 PM »
Im the opposite. I like to know what others tip, so that I can make sure I give a normal ammount. Id hate to give less than average, but Id feel embarassed if I gave well over average. I like to stay on the high side of average, but without going overboard.

eris

« Reply #52 on: August 28, 2011, 09:18:47 PM »
I have noticed the Chinese buffets learned to take advantage of the American tipping custom. Ive seen this at many places. The girls always come to check on you and get you drinks even though you get your own food. It would be really easy to make the drinks available with the food, but then we wouldnt have to tip them ;)

The_Chosen_One

« Reply #53 on: August 28, 2011, 09:37:40 PM »
I dont think we tip delivery drivers with a percentage of the cost of the meal. At least, Ive never heard of anyone doing it.
Its more common just to let them "keep the change" 
Anything over £1 is seen as a good tip here.
We do usually get charged a delivery fee on top of the price of the meal, although some places advertise "no delivery fee" if you are within a ceetain distace of the shop.

We get that here. Usually $4 delivery. It's pretty rare for places not to charge delivery, but here as I said tipping is rare if done at all.

Actually, I think waiters here are on salary and wage, including places like Denny's, Smorgy's and Sizzler. While it may not be Toorak-style wages, it's not entirely arse out of their pants stuff either.

Obviously the wage structure works differently in the states.

The_Chosen_One

« Reply #54 on: August 28, 2011, 09:42:31 PM »
Never really thought to ask how others do it. A dollar per pizza is about 10%, and consider that acceptable for delivery. Of course 20% or more is customary for resturant service.

What if you order a $40 meal, and the food and service are shite? Paying an extra $8 for something that wasn't satisfactory would be an injustice. For shit service, I'd expect to get a reduction and an apology, and not have to pay a tip.

As I said, only good or exceptional service would warrant one.

P7PSP

« Reply #55 on: August 28, 2011, 09:45:47 PM »

What if you order a $40 meal, and the food and service are shite? Paying an extra $8 for something that wasn't satisfactory would be an injustice. For shit service, I'd expect to get a reduction and an apology, and not have to pay a tip.

For a $40 meal where the service sucks a few cents on the table and informing the manager that you won't be back and why is appropriate.

Osensitive1

« Reply #56 on: August 28, 2011, 10:00:49 PM »
Agree with PPK's answer for horrible service. 15-20% is customary for adequate service. Exceptional service would warant more.

The_Chosen_One

« Reply #57 on: August 28, 2011, 10:02:25 PM »

For a $40 meal where the service sucks a few cents on the table and informing the manager that you won't be back and why is appropriate.

In other words, fuck the bill, that's all you are getting.

Can be tricky in some places where you pay as you walk in, like I've seen at Sizzler and some other places.

Osensitive1

« Reply #58 on: August 28, 2011, 10:07:20 PM »
Didn't think he meant not paying the bill. Assumed he meant the few cents is for the tip. That's what some do for bad service. It makes it clear the tip wasn't merely forgotten.

The_Chosen_One

« Reply #59 on: August 28, 2011, 10:22:50 PM »
Didn't think he meant not paying the bill. Assumed he meant the few cents is for the tip. That's what some do for bad service. It makes it clear the tip wasn't merely forgotten.

Why bother with the tip? Probably the note saying 'the sevice was shite, we won't be back' would be enough.

Different countries do things differently, I guess.